Izula folder

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by Standard78, Sep 9, 2016.

1. bladesmith3

bladesmith3 Member

they are both coming over for the fireworks tonight.

VolGrad and Zeek like this.
  2. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

When the time is right and the product is solid they will release it. Not a moment sooner. Thats my thoughts on it.

mtngoat likes this.
  3. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

But at this point in time they either have it right or they are never going to get it right.

4. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Maybe, maybe not. Im not a bladesmith nor am i in the business.

mtngoat likes this.
  5. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

There are several USA based manufactures that would probably love to job on this. Lionsteel did a bad job and probably put a bad taste in their mouths. I can't even imagine how much money was wasted on R&D with Lionsteel, just to have a bad product prototyped. I think I read somewhere that they were wanting everything to go through Rowen, or not at all. So that means starting R&D all over again, with a new machining team, with new equipment that probably had to be purchased specifically for this. That means probably hundreds of thousands of dollars in upfront costs, not to mention the man hours involved just getting everything prototyped and tested for the INITIAL run of test knives.

I don't always agree with the ESEE way, but something I do agree with them on is not putting out a piece of **** and then fixing it later. DPX let out a massive failure in the HEST 1.0 and had to go back to fix it, which luckily didn't suffer their reputation any. I can't be sour with ESEE for not succumbing to the pressure and releasing something that isn't ready just because the villagers have their pitchforks out.

I've seen several, quite real prototype pictures (not just the Lionsteel ones) so I have to hope that somewhere, on the backburner this project is still in consideration. While I agree, if they really really wanted it, it would have already been done by now. But I also assume they aren't ignoring the massive potential for a cash cow here. Their fixed blades already have a cult following with you weirdos. If they let out a line-up of similarly reliable and rugged titanium frame locks, they'd have the production folder market by the balls. ZT would lose money all day, guaranteed.

Kaw-liga, mtngoat and nathan shepherd like this.
  6. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Looks like no one answered this. I'm clearly speculating, but this is my opinion from what I've personally seen/read on the Interweb.

Lionsteel's F&F was never really up to snuff. I'd place their quality control somewhere around the level of Boker. You either get tight and perfect, or incredibly impossible to deal with. While the material is quality, they just lack the precision to make a finely tuned knife. This was obviously back in the day. I believe with some kicking and screaming from DPX, they either upped their quality control, or probably invested in new machines all together. Notice after the HEST 2.0 came out, Lionsteel started producing their own higher end line of titanium knives. Obviously something changed over at the Lionsteel house to allow them to do this. I believe DPX's change to an American company was for a few reasons: 1. It made logistics easier 2. They wanted better steel options (some companies will not ship "super steels" outside of the country to make them more exclusive, thus keeping their prices up) 3. They wanted to finally be able to put "Made in the USA" on all of their products.

If I had to guess, ESEE had these things in mind as well, and the poor fitment of the prototypes just pushed them away completely.

Again, this is literally just speculation. I don't have any inside scoop with Jeff other than the few times he's told me to **** off.

7. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

Just got my Izula folder in today. I think the rest will be shipping by October.

8. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Pics or it didn't happen..

Kaw-liga likes this.
  9. jacktrades_nbk

jacktrades_nbk Member

He he, good to return to this forum, love the jokes.

Kaw-liga and nathan shepherd like this.
  10. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

I bet Southern Grind would do it for them if they asked. They are building the new DPX knives.

I understand and respect the ESEE relationship with ROWEN though.

Bcamos and Kaw-liga like this.
  11. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

In all seriousness, what would be the MAX you guys would pay for a USA Made Izula folder?

Assume frame lock and G10?

bladesmith3, Kaw-liga and Zeek like this.
  12. SEMO

SEMO Member

Southeast MO, Mississippi River Bottom flatland
    I'm a simple man who carries USA Kershaw, Spyderco, and Case knives.
    A lot of guys carry high dollar folders, and that is good on them.
    I like to keep it less than $100. I have dropped knives too many times and came up short.
    I also have a recliner and couch that eats knives. They like the taste of the cheaper ones the best.

bladesmith3, Kaw-liga and Zeek like this.
  13. bladesmith3

bladesmith3 Member

I think the popular answer is going to be $100.
    maybe a pricier version with handle and frame material like titanium frame and carbon scale?

Kaw-liga likes this.
  14. timdgsr

timdgsr Member

If it favors the original drawings and is titanium/high end stainless blade - $150-200
    If it favors the original and is stainless frame/aus8 blade - $80-100

If it favors the prototype they made a while back, I'll pass. It was just too small.

15. bladesmith3

bladesmith3 Member

that sums up my view of it too.

16. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

200-300

17. jacktrades_nbk

jacktrades_nbk Member

$150, make it $200 because it is the Izula...

18. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

This.

For a really nicely made, hard use knife like a DPX I'd say $150-200 on the high end. Would really like to see in the $150 range though.

For something along the lines of a beefier Zancudo or Avispa I wouldn't pay more than $75-100 on the high end.

19. kyhunt

kyhunt Member

I 've been gone a long time from most of the knife forums and to be honest have lost all interest in the Izula folder. Personally I'm not fond of folders that have g-10 on one side and the other side metal. Its just me. But the Izzy folder isn't the only knife I lost interest in. About 10 years ago Bark River announced they were going to do a folder. I was stoked being I was a huge Bark river fan. Well I think this year the finally made up some prototypes. Well once again I have no interest. Really my Benchmade Griptillian and Adamas cover the majority of folder needs I have.

I hope I don't piss anyone off with this post or get booted because I am an ESEE fan. There just are so many good folders out there today that it would have to be really something to get me interested.

Bcamos likes this.
  20. timdgsr

timdgsr Member

Ha, not something you have to worry about. It's natural to lose interest in vaporware.

ManOfSteel and kyhunt like this.