Alone Season 4 - Vancouver Island

Discussion in 'Survival and Wilderness Skills' started by Josip, Jun 2, 2017.

1. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

Based on what we know, the younger brother seems like a weeny for tapping out. However, in season two Desmond tapped on day one and we didn't find out that he had been charged by a bear until the reunion show at the end of the season. I don't think becoming bear scat counts for not tapping out when the winner is being determined. o_O

As long as nothing happened, one of the funniest moments in all four seasons, so far, is the father/son team where the son is settled down for the night only to hear a bear huffing near his shelter and the son then remembers that he has some rations in the tarp with him. He didn't hang a bear bag and probably has 5 lbs of jerky or pemmican in his pack that is lying right next to him.

2. scout1sg

scout1sg Member

Yeh it had to be tremendously hard for the other brother to hold his emotions back and would be more understanding if were the brother making the trek/hump across the arduous terrain. I'm thinking it was nothing more than a good sprain that should have been easily splint-able and as you mentioned kept cool enough to keep any major swelling down. Yes getting a good fire started and a basic shelter or tarp put up and at least wait a day or two to see how the injury healed up and the patience to allow the other brother make his journey, that would have been a tremendous accomplishment and morale booster in itself and if anything, something they could have looked back on years later and say I did it even if for only a matter of days/weeks. I also thought about their business, what a way to market and get the word out on the products they made and sold, not only did they craft their tools but putting them to a real world scenario with no overhead costs.

3. mlrs

mlrs Member

I caught the last 30 minutes of it. I have never seen it but it seems like it's going to be good. I will have to keep watching it and see if I can find the previous seasons.

mlrs

4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

they should throw a lone wildcard in..........

me.

5. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

Millions of possible customers seeing the quality and durability of your tools. Great advertising, if you last more than one day.

scout1sg likes this.
  6. Stray Round

Stray Round Member

"Millions of possible customers seeing the quality and durability of your tools"

How durable do your tools need to be if you are going to only carry them an hour or two?:) "Tap Out Tools, for the quitter inside everyone."

I predict a divorce in the making for the married team... if not a murder charge.

AddictedToSteel likes this.
  7. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

And then there were five. So far two lame tap outs.

Weeding out the wusses.

8. scout1sg

scout1sg Member

I'm curious how the conversation went between the son and his father, I think it was just a combination he missed his creature comforts (smart phone, computer, gaming system, etc.) too much and probably a girlfriend. He appeared to seem overwhelmed with the situation but something that should have been well discussed prior, i.e. the short term isolation.

9. scout1sg

scout1sg Member

That or he was just doing it more for his father and not himself, can't force a "bonding experience" of this nature if the other party does not have it in themselves.

10. DiscoveryLover

DiscoveryLover Member

A group won, not saying who in case people haven't seen it yet.
    Lasted 75 days.

11. olderguy

olderguy Member

I don't know why but this season just didn't hold my attention like the past ones. Maybe too much drama with 2 people together ?

BigJake and Josip like this.
  12. timdgsr

timdgsr Member

I still watched and enjoyed it, but not near as much. There's probably a lot of factors that go into holding your attention. Sometimes you just sick of watching the same style of show. I could only watch so many Swamp Hunters or Naked and Afraids before every episode felt just like the previous one.

I feel like I'm sick of watching Vancouver Island. It's tough, and the terrain + time of year they put them there makes fishing/ocean harvesting the only viable means of survival. So, all we see is people fishing all day.

I also feel like they edit based more on drama than on cool skills used to make things and survive. Probably a smart thing, so they get a wider viewing audience. I don't care for it though.

13. scout1sg

scout1sg Member

Believe it just came down to who was the "hungriest" between the last two groups, youth also helped out but both were experiencing health issues. If I was that Sam I'd done the same thing if not a bit earlier, certainly not worth putting yourself or your partner in an early grave.