Single Shot Shotguns

Discussion in 'Hunting and Fishing' started by mlrs, Jun 12, 2017.

1. mlrs

mlrs Member

[​IMG]

This is a couple of .410 shotguns that the wife and I take out with us into the woods when we are out goofing off. They are both made by H&R. I also have a winchester model 37 that was made in 1937 in .410. We also do a fair bit of squirrel and rabbit hunting with them. We get few quail here and there also.

The Wichester I have I got from a man that was 94 and said he used it to shoot rabbits and feed his family at the end of the depression in western Kansas. I like the guns that have history to them. Whenever we are out hunting with them I feel kind of nostalgic and think about people using single shots back in the day because that is all they had.

Does anyone else hunt with single shots or is it mostly a thing of the past?

mlrs

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  2. Zeek

Zeek Member

Seems like your media is restricted. Can you check your album permissions?

The Marsh Gorilla and Theodore like this.
  3. mlrs

mlrs Member

I just posted them through photobucket so it should show up now.

mlrd

Theodore and Zeek like this.
  4. Theodore

Theodore Member

They are everywhere up here. My boys use them for woods chicken.

The Marsh Gorilla, mlrs and Zeek like this.
  5. Wolfman Zack

Wolfman Zack Member

I like the H&R's, I have one with two barrels, a 25" modified choke 20 guage barrel, and a 12 guage barrel that I cut down to 19".
    I use the 20 guage barrel during bird season, particularly when I'm hunting over dogs where long shots are likely.
    The 12 guage is for woodsbumming where I want a short handy shotgun, and would work fine for "walking up" grouse.
    It also is handy because I can break down the shotgun and fit it inside a backpack for transportation.
    I always wanted a folding shotgun for that use, but have yet to find one.

6. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

I have the exact same setup for my H&R toppers.

Hawkeye5 and Wolfman Zack like this.
  7. Stone

Stone Member

I'm in. Will read and catch up soon...

Zeek likes this.
  8. Stone

Stone Member

@nathan shepherd, is it conceivable that one could own a single barrel shotgun in Scotland without having to become a member of the royal guard or spending 10,000 quid on permits?

I mean, they're not exactly EBR's. :oops:

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  9. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

...... I am not Nathan however...

http://www.scotland.police.uk/about-us/finance/service-fees-and-charges/firearms/

http://www.scotland.police.uk/about-us/finance/service-fees-and-charges/firearms/146928/

Storage..
    https://basc.org.uk/firearms/firearm-shotgun-security-what-do-you-do/

Stone, Zeek and nathan shepherd like this.
  10. nathan shepherd

nathan shepherd Member

Thanks for saving me the effort of replying!

Yes you can have a shotgun. Getting the license is not that hard or expensive, as the links show.

What is hard is getting some where to shoot. There is no publicly owned land in Scotland and shooting rights are tightly controlled by the land owners. A days shooting is therefore expensive. In the part of Scotland that I live in it's a rich mans game and that's true of most of the UK. Here's a nice article that will help you have a days shooting for just £400!

http://www.thefield.co.uk/shooting/shooting-for-under-400-a-day-22424

You might strike it lucky and meet someone who will give you the right to shoot on his land for free or for a small amount of money but it's not likely.

Stray Round, Stone and Zeek like this.
  11. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

Those seem like a good time for the money. I have always wanted to shoot driven birds.

I grew up shooting a Winchester 37 and a Remington Model 11. I never liked them.

12. Stone

Stone Member

@Andy and @nathan, thanks for the info and links. Helpful.

OK, good, at least there's an opening there. Point taken about shooting and no public lands. But if my plans work out (a rare thing indeed, but one can hope), then I'll be able to find a workaround for that.

Besides, for me, half the battle is just owning one for future ... times of anarchy and collapse. :)

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  13. mlrs

mlrs Member

That's crazy. It's expensive to even get a firearm over there. It's even more expensive to shoot them.

I have heard that pheasant hunting is popular in the UK. Is there any other hunting that a person can do over there?

mlrs

14. nathan shepherd

nathan shepherd Member

Yes it is crazy! There are plenty of things to hunt here. Pheasants, ducks, pigeons, grouse and lots of Deer.

15. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

People in the U.K. Deer hunt as well as shoot varmints.

Shooting driven birds requires some skill but if you hunted doves over a water hole here, here then you would be ok

nathan shepherd likes this.
  16. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

What annoyed me about my last trip to the UK was discovering I had a place I could have hunted Roe Deer but was there out of season...!

@Stone if I am reading the UK links correctly they have the "good reason" / "legitimate need" test for ownership similar to us here, therefore you have to establish the need/reason (with appropriate supporting evidence) to be given the licence. I also could not see anything about residency in there, here you would need to be a citizen or permanent resident I believe (though I must check to be sure) to get a firearms licence.

17. Stone

Stone Member

Thanks, Andy. That seems reasonable. I wondered about residency also, which will take me 5 years. I'm going to look into a visitors (?) permit, and maybe purchase one here and have it shipped. Just don't know yet. I'll dig deeper.

Anyway, being a stick guy, regardless of long gun ownership there, I want to purchase a boar spear head for my walking sticks, and get into archery, also. Not to mention slingshots. When faced with limitation of things like, oh, say, swords or shotguns, Scotch people have been wildly creative at various times in history. :)

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  18. nathan shepherd

nathan shepherd Member

This is correct. Just wanting a gun isn't a good enough reason to own one here.

19. nathan shepherd

nathan shepherd Member

IMG_1303.JPG

Zeek likes this.
  20. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

Is that an original or reproduction milbro? I have always wanted to pick up a brass reproduction.

Sorry to get off topic stone, but I agree with you on the slingshots, you should definitely check them out, its possibly the cheapest shooting hobby out there. You can get started for under ten dollars very easily, and if you put 50 in you could be living the slingshot highlife! I used to do a lot of slingshot shooting and am getting back into it a little bit, made alot of natural fork slingshots with hand tied flat bands when I was doing it a ton but recently I have been shooting the trumark tapered tubes on one of their S9 slingshots (a whole 8 dollars or so!) Very accurate and stupid lightweight, .45 cal lead ball out of a reasonably powerful slingshot will kill just about any small game animal out there.

Bushman5 and nathan shepherd like this.