recent purchases thread.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JV3, Sep 8, 2016.

1. NoRest

NoRest Member

Nice sun hat. Is it lightweight and breathable? I work outside all day and have been looking for a new hat to keep me cool.

Zeek and Delkancott like this.
  2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

lightweight, yes, breathable? i guess? i dunno, i sweat too much....cab of my L9000 Ford tandem axle with a Cummins ISX truck engine, is around 45 deg Celsius (no air con)

Zeek likes this.
  3. NoRest

NoRest Member

I guess I'll give one a try. It looks pretty comfortable.

4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

yea i have a 7&1/2" hat size, this one is called Medium and it fits GREAT, a bit loose which i like.

like only $30 CDN.

5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Just spent my June food budget on a new filterhead, diesel filter and fuel/water separator unit, from RACOR........for the Jeep Libby Diesel. The manual priming pump is rebuild able in 5 minutes, the filters cost less than $30, and the entire thing is 30% larger than the factory POS

these were supposed to be specced in the CRD, but the F****** pieces of ****, Scu(+******U&*%&^$%^#$&&*(*( bean counters at Chrylser decided to save money and use a cheap filter unit.

lot of money for this unit. But the $8000 (new), $4000 reman) Bosch injectors are a lot more painful to replace. $212 CDN vs $8000 CDN

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    Zeek and ChristopherRC like this.
  6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

best part is, the diesel truck shop I ordered it from, brought it in in two hours, and charged me his wholesale (cost) price, plus $5.

Second time he has helped me out.

Zeek likes this.
  7. ChristopherRC

ChristopherRC Member

Beer holders

Klynesquatch and Zeek like this.
  8. ChristopherRC

ChristopherRC Member

Double like yeti can suck it

Zeek likes this.
  9. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

we need tshirts........ ^ :cool:

ChristopherRC likes this.
  10. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I want to see Subtle Serpent use a Expat/Esee CLEAVER and chop the living hell out of a YETI COOLER, just to see the yeti fanboy reactions. :D

Dagwood and Zeek like this.
  11. ChristopherRC

ChristopherRC Member

I'm buying one...tthats awesome

Klynesquatch and Zeek like this.
  12. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Just ordered a wireless OBD2 adapter so I can monitor unnecessary system parameters from my phone for my truck.

Zeek likes this.
  13. Benson X

Benson X Member

I finally have an Izula II on the way!!! :D

Strigidae, Zeek, AdamF and 4 others like this.
  14. AdamF

AdamF Member

Those are sweet. I've looked at a few of them. a little out of my price range if I recall correctly. Have you tried them out? I hope to get one someday.

ChristopherRC and Benson X like this.
  15. Benson X

Benson X Member

They are badass knives, no doubt about it. I have been reluctant to buy any, mainly due to the cost and crazy markup they have on the secondary market. BUT, after getting a GSO-10 and beating the sh*t out of it a couple weekends ago, I was "sold" on S!K knives and wanted to get a couple more.

I spent about 45 minutes playing with them last night in the shop: carving, chopping, batoning etc. The size/weight/balance of the 5.1 is perfect. Unfortunately, I think it will dethrone my ESEE6 as my "all-arounder" knife for hiking/camping etc. Just have to see how the 3V holds an edge and how easy it is to maintain compared to the 1095. I do like the improved contour on the scales of newer spec models, but the handle on this (old spec) 5.1 still fits my hand very well.

The 4.7 in Cru Forge V is amazing. It's marked as an "Ugly Betty" which means there is some cosmetic flaw, but I could not find it anywhere. It looks flawless to me. I don't have any other blades in CFV, but the steel is pretty damn impressive. It cuts like butter through everything and holds an edge very well. The brown cerakote coating is VERY durable, compared to other coated blades I have (the DLC on the 5.1 has already worn down in a couple spots from light use).

All in all, I am very happy with all three S! knives that I have, and I plan on keeping/using them for a long time. I also just ordered a 7/7 Factory 2nd to round out the family. I'd still like to have a (new spec) 5.1 at some point, just to compare the handles/contour and have the 90° spine grind.

Dagwood likes this.
  16. AdamF

AdamF Member

On paper both steel's should go far and beyond 1095. Although I'm told esee has a better heat treat than any other brand. How far that goes I'm not sure. And of course in action is always different then on paper. Anyway you should post a review once you beat the s*** out of them. Or at least after a little hard use.

Benson X and Zeek like this.
  17. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

3V with Peter's HT is really really REALLY good stuff. ESEE has good 1095 from Rowen but they run it a little soft so it'll take heavy used and at the end of the day it's 1095. Obviously 1095 is really solid (I still use it plenty) but compared to something like 3V with the D3V HT protocol it doesn't measure up. Go look up NateAIM on YT and you'll see what Nathan Carothers is doing with 3V and it's pretty impressive stuff. SIDE NOTE: I have D2 from Carothers with a HT that he developed with PHT and it is absolutely amazing. Holds an edge like a madman, doesn't chip (so far), and I was actually able to strop it back to shaving in about a minute. And it's damn near stainless.

Vinton and Benson X like this.
  18. Benson X

Benson X Member

CPK is another company on my list to purchase. I almost got an EDC in D2 a couple weeks ago, but couldn't reach the guy selling it. I've watched a few of Nathan's test videos and was pretty damn amazed; they definitely have their steel composition and heat treat down. The bend test on his LC is nuts!!! :eek:

If their (regular) D2 heat treat is that good, I can't imagine how the upcoming "Delta" process is going to perform. I love D2, but I suck at sharpening such hard steels or bringing them back once the edge wears down. Really, I just suck at sharpening, in general. :)

19. AdamF

AdamF Member

I've been sharpening an elmax blank from a flat edge by hand... taking FOREVER. Getting somewhere though. I've been wanting a 3v survival knife for awhile someone that turned into one 01 blade and two elmax blades. I'll get there eventually. I'd like to try some d2 as well. From what I understand there can be a vast difference between a cheap d2 and a high quality d2.

20. Dagwood

Dagwood Member

Heavens to murgatroyd! Is that a t shirt or your chest hair?

Zeek likes this.