Packs, pouches, and patches.

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Frankenstein, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

n28213.jpg 20170318_113159.jpg

Zeek likes this.
  2. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

3. Dagwood

Dagwood Member

Eberlestock g1 little brother with condor pouches on the molle webbing inside of the pack
    20170318_114242.jpg 20170318_115220.jpg 20170318_115234.jpg

Alan Woods, Datilite and Zeek like this.
  4. Dagwood

Dagwood Member

20170318_164045.jpg
    New patch for my pack

5. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

Slips over the hand and allows fingers to be free or open hand. Keeps light in the palm or on the back of the hand so it can't be dropped. Made of rubber.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  6. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

Even backpack manufacturers and retailers have inventory clearance sales.
    This Osprey Stratos 24 was in the clearance section of Mast General Store downtown Knoxville. Their prices are usually toward the MSRP range. This was $83. Lowest I have seen in a year long monitor. image.jpeg image.jpeg

I have been looking for a mid sized pack and watching this one for awhile. 2.5 Lbs.
    S&W J Frame fits nicely in the RH waist/hip pocket.

Mike Smith and Zeek like this.
  7. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

Wore it today on a four mile hike/jaunt on the Eastshore Trail along Tellico (TN) Lake. Light load. 2.5lb pack and 3lbs of gear. Felt very good. Nice and secure without feeling tight or restricted. No sweat at 45 degrees.

Datilite likes this.
  8. Dagwood

Dagwood Member

image.jpeg Couple new pouches for my little brother

Datilite, Zeek and Bushman5 like this.
  9. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Now that last pic is a great looking setup.

10. Hawkeye47

Hawkeye47 Member

IMG_2561.JPG Tasmanian Tiger light pack 35l

koolaidnd, Zeek, Stone and 1 other person like this.
  11. Stone

Stone Member

Nice pack. 35L are just about perfect (for everything for me but longer trips with overnights in northern winters). How's the suspension, especially the waist belt?

And welcome to the forum, er, asylum. Great people here, as long as you're a little crazy. :confused: :)

Zeek likes this.
  12. Flex

Flex Moderator Staff Member

This has become my EDC/boat bag.

It fits my gopro and gun perfect, I love this bag.

[​IMG]

Zeek, Delkancott and Stone like this.
  13. Michael Meyer

Michael Meyer Member

The pack I'm carrying almost every day: Bergans of Norway Powerframe 130 L+, originally 158 liters, this one is customized for me with a longer frame and pack for my height of 207 cm. Now this thing has 214 liters.
    20170605_215739.png

14. Stone

Stone Member

Ok, so I read this post first as text only in an email notification.

130 L? 158 L? 214 L? Surely those are typos.

My standard EDC is 35 L (Eberlestock Halftrack). I'm interested in a 45 L for extended walkabouts into the Scottish highlands next year. The biggest I ever wore was a Gregory Atlas at @80 L. Heaviest load in it was 72 lb for an 8-day trip into the Weminuche Wilderness of S Co; 12 lbs of photography gear; I was 140 then; the first day of switchbacks was just hellish, but worth every step to be at camp 1 that night looking south up the Ute Creeks drainages to the continental divide, another day's walk in.

So, I click over here and see your photo. Dude, that's not a pack. It's an AC-130 with shoulder straps and a waist belt. :eek:

You must be, like, 7.5' tall and weigh a solid 275. (Retired professional full back or ex-Ranger?) :oops:

What do you carry in that thing? A futon? Collapsible bicycle? Full bar? :D

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    Zeek likes this.
  15. Michael Meyer

Michael Meyer Member

Ok, you are right, it's a huge pack. But almost comfortable for me. I am 6 feet 9.5 inches tall. And yes, I was in the army for a while, but that's not necessary if you want to hike for a long time. The reason for such a huge pack: 2014 I started a hiking trip around the world. I am walking almost apart civilisation through each and every country. To be honest the first two weeks were not the greatest pleasure in my life but after reducing the weight of the backpack to 62 kilogram it's ok for me. Now I made about 22,000 kilometer so there are left only 200,000 ;-) This newspaper report should open in english too, if not you can use the google translator. When arriving in Britain in a few weeks, I will have an additional hiking trailer with filming equipment for a documentation with a british channel. My first international http://mobil.rhein-zeitung.de/start...s-in-15-jahren-um-die-welt-_arid,1218240.html

jeeter and Stone like this.
  16. Stone

Stone Member

Kidding aside, Michael, y0ur's is a fascinating story. (The story didn't open in English, and I can't find a translation button, but I'm going to find a way to read it.) Your journey around the world on foot is very admirable. I want to know more about it.

I also want to know how you're going to walk across the Atlantic to get over here. Boat maybe? (Inflatable raft in the pack? :D) I'm planning to move to the UK (Scotland) next year, and will do it by boat. I really want to find a cargo ship that takes passengers -- QE 2 is not really my style -- so I don't have to fly. If you find such a boat, please let me know.

And I'll add this: 62 kg = 132 lbs. That's a LOT of weight to carry around the world. Like I said, I admire your efforts.

17. Stone

Stone Member

OK, it was a bit cumbersome, but I finally used Google to translate it. Let's see how it did. Something seems not quite right in the first paragraph, like something's missing.

You should start a thread here in adventure travel about your journey so we can talk about it more in depth.
    ______

Now it's off: in 15 years around the world Koblenz. Next week Michael Meyer will step out of the door and go. Which way he takes and where he will spend the night, he does not yet know. This is the next 15 years: Meyer has decided to walk the world on foot.

But still the 2,07-meter-wide gorge with the Holzfällerhemd sits relaxed on the couch of the Eifelblock climbing hall in the Koblenz industrial area and goes through his journey through Scandinavia and Scotland to North America. Originally he wanted to go to Eastern Europe and from there to Syria via Morocco. But this plan has changed because of the political situation.

Zero vacation in twelve years: now is enough!

How do you get the idea to start a round the world? He was a native of Lübeck twelve years ago. "I had a seventh-week week and not a single vacation in twelve years." I soon realized that there must be more. " Then his gaze fell on this world map on the wall. And then, for the first time, the adventurer came up with the idea of getting up on foot three years ago.

After Koblenz, the 42-year-old moved his starting point to prepare for his journey in the climbing hall. "Actually the region around Koblenz is a small cultural shock for me," confesses Meyer laughingly. The open, cordial character of the people of the Rhine and the Moselle rushes to his North German temperament.

The backpack is extralang

Everything the outdoor fan needs on his way, is in the 65 kilogram heavy, olive backpack. "It had to be specially made for my long back," Meyer says with a smile. The rucksack holds 214 liters and is so heavy that it can not lift it from the ground to the back, but must take various contrasts in the purchase. He has been training with his equipment for a quarter of a year.

The most important thing now is: a hand sewing machine to patch shoes or clothing, a stove, three sleeping bags, which can withstand temperatures of minus 70 to plus 30 degrees, and various tools such as saw, camping ax or shovel. He also takes food rations with him: whole milk and egg powder and oatmeal. "They go into the muscles right away." Nevertheless, he has to provide himself daily with what nature offers him. The fact that insects or beetles are on the menu does not deter him.

The Norddeutsche does not worry about his health: "Of course I can get sick or kick my foot." He has a selection of medications. In addition, he can rely on his training as a paramedic in case of serious injuries. And his years at the Bundeswehr as an instructor for survival technology will certainly help him on his journey. There he learned many tricks: "When you're lonely, you have to talk to the trees, but that does not only have a psychological effect, but it also helps to train the vocal chords."

Teddy bear helps with loneliness

He has no problems with loneliness: "I like to be alone," he says, but admits: "This will be liberating for a time, but surely a point where one feels lonely." There is his teddy bear, who accompanies him at every step.

Michael Meyer does not want to set up records on the road: "I only make the trip for myself," he explains clearly. He has planned 15 kilometers a day, which is why he is expecting a 15-year hike. If he likes a spot, he will spend a few days there. Or he just stays there forever.

18. Michael Meyer

Michael Meyer Member

Ok, it's a translation. More or less good. But the main informations are right. I would say, the quality of translation is as bad as my english How did you do it? You are right, the passage to America I will do by canoe. Selfmade with a sail. No, sorry, joking, hahaha I found a company with some nice container ships which is going from England or Scotland to the United States and Canada. In my case from England to Alaska. The ships can take maximum 9 passengers. I will seek the informations and links for you. From where to where exactly do you want to travel and when? More informations about my journey I can provide in a few weeks. I never had a blog or page about me or the journey because I couldn't imagine that people could be interested in it. Now I made some tv reports and wrote for some magazines and have a contract with a book publisher, I think I should change my media-invisibility. Some people seem interested in such things.

Zeek likes this.
  19. Stone

Stone Member

@Michael Meyer , thanks. I'll send you a pm a bit later with my plans.

20. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Last fall we were in Estes Park, CO rummaging around shops and stores. We ran out of women's clothing stores on the third day so we decided to do some XMas shopping. We had walked passed a leather and bag shop a couple times. The sign in the widow said nothing over thirty dollars.
    This place turned out to be a great find. The owners were very cool. Into gear and guns.
    I found some $20 bags for gifts and had to keep one for me....just what I needed.
    The stitching, zippers and pockets are quite good . I would estimate about 250D so not a beefy hard use bag.
    I finally figured out a use for it last trip....booze bag!!
    Three flasks, cup kits, stewards tool, and room for a couple beers. Cheers.
    The Store is called 30 Below.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    Zeek and Stone like this.