Random gear questions

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by AdamF, May 4, 2017.

1. AdamF

AdamF Member

Im looking at several bushcraft items and am curious what all of you would recommend for a folding saw as well as an affordable axe/hatchet. (I have a estwing sportsman hatchet, would you consider that quality? It was awfully cheap)

Zeek likes this.
  2. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

Estwing is good stuff.

I can also highly recommend Fiskars. They're cheap, Finnish made, and surprisingly effective. Up from that are the hand forged axes/hatchets, but the price may be restrictive.

As for the saw, I haven't found anything better than Silky's. I carry a Bigboy 2000 in my SAR pack, and a Gomboy 240 in my day pack. I've done a lot of work with every Silky I own, and I swear by em.

3. ASH

ASH Member

I agree Estwing is good quality, Fiskars too. Neither one would be my personal choice, but that is just personal preference. Estwings are too thin to split well and tend to get stuck when chopping, from my experience with the camp ax. Actually I have quite a few hatchets, but generally prefer to use an ax instead most of the time. I always hear good things about the Silky saws, I have never seen one in person. I have a couple Fiskars saws that do ok. I don't use saws a lot either, most of the time I just hack through everything with a machete.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    Zeek likes this.
  4. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

I love my Silkys, but, and this is a big BUT, they cut on the pull and only on the pull. If you try to cut on the push the blade can bind up and snap off. The blade on my Big Boy had just that happen to it (loaned it to a buddy and he replaced the blade). I also saw a guy break the blade on a Pocket Boy trying to cut on the push. They just get to going back and forth and speed up, then snap!!!

I know better and I don't forget what I am doing so I haven't broke a blade. Yet. I say "yet" because I know it will happen someday. I like to carry a replacement blade just in case.

Zeek likes this.
  5. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

I'm late to the party but I have a fondness for saws. I have both bahco Laplanders and a silky pocketboy. The silky is my hiking saw and I use it when I'm out having fun. The bahco is stashed in my go bag in the truck. I'm less likely to break the saw blade on my bahco, but the cut isn't nearly as nice as the silky. I'd rather sacrifice a smooth cut for more durability for an emergency tool.

The other options are the Sven saw. Not my favorite saw because of the triangle shape. It decreases the size of log you can cut. Another option is a regular bow saw. I picked up a fiskars bow saw for $20 at Walmart. It's another good cheap option. Very durable.

Zeek likes this.
  6. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

Another great option is a Bob Dustrude Quick Bucksaw. Takes any regular bow saw blade, and it's a solid package.

AddictedToSteel, Zeek and koolaidnd like this.
  7. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

I'd like to get the bod dustrude saw. Maybe I'll get one from Duluth Pack when I go to Duluth this summer.

8. AdamF

AdamF Member

I read the bahco cuts on the push and pull. Would you all consider that to be a valuable enough trait to be preferable in anyway?
    So the estwing will be good for now. But one thing about myself is I have caviar taste on a fish stick budget. What brand of axe do you think I should look at for a "future" or possibly an irresponsible purchase in the much nearer future.

9. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

I recommend Gransfors Bruks axes. I have their wildlife hatchet. It's great for sticking I'm a pack or tucking into a haversack.

Cutting on the push and pull cut means little to me. Smooth, consistent strokes matter far more then cutting type. Don't cut like a madman or jerk the saw around. The Bahco is a good saw, not great but good enough for the price.

10. ASH

ASH Member

AdamF likes this.
  11. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

You could also check out yard sales and auctions. Sometimes you can pick up old axes or hatchets or even just the heads. Learn what brands are good and you can have the pleasure of hanging it yourself.

While not an axe, I was at an auction a couple of years ago and came across a Randall Made bowie just sitting on a table and it was in pretty good, but appeared rough shape. Just needed a little cleaning and some oil on the sheath. I tried not to look interested, but when I came back around to it there was a guy holding it. I asked him if that was going to be his zombie knife and he laughed. Then he lowered his voice and said 'This is a Randall!" I whispered back, "I know. I was hoping you wouldn't notice." We both laughed. It went for about $900 so apparently we weren't the only ones who noticed. :(

Point being that you can sometimes make great finds for a good price at those places. The Randall wasn't one of them.

12. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

I have Fiskars choppers in three different sizes and a Bahco folder in my pack. When it comes to cutting my preferred brand is actually Stihl.. ;)

koolaidnd, ASH and Zeek like this.
  13. AdamF

AdamF Member

Been browsing ebay. Seen some pretty awesome vintage axe heads. That's definitely a strong possibility.

14. ASH

ASH Member

One of the biggest things with axes is figuring out what you like and what size fits you. They come in all shapes and sizes. I would hate to see you spend $160 for a 19" GB, only to figure out that it is an awkward size that isn't good for anything but looking at and fondling.

AdamF likes this.
  15. Theodore

Theodore Member

What do you plan to do with the ax/hatchet? What are the size limitations you have?

Zeek likes this.
  16. AdamF

AdamF Member

Likely just to process fire wood, possibly build a shelter for ****s and giggles. I would like it to be big enough to limit my necessary swings to get the job done, but still be able to pack it in/ strap in on to my pack frame

Zeek and Theodore like this.
  17. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

Get a saw and a machete or a thick knife for splitting. It's less sexy but just as functional.

18. Theodore

Theodore Member

I am not one for "bushcrafty" type axes and handle sizes. Personally, I am a fan of the boys/pulp ax for a pack ax. At around 28" it is not any more of an issue than a 24" handle as far as I am concerned. (As well as safer for a beginner, and less bending better form for all) Letting the ax do the work when splitting, head weight, cheek and bit geometry and longer handle, makes for a more enjoyable time than pounding away for me. Cleaning up the site will be easier with a longer handle as well. Personally, I am in search of an even longer and heavier head for my pack ax. But that is just me.
    I would recommend a vintage Michigan pattern boys ax. Near as makes no difference 2 and a half pounds. On a 28 inch handle. Looking for a high centerline.

No insult intended, lots of people work with axes. But if you need/want advice in pre purchase. Step by step help in the hang, or whatever, I am willing. No charge.
    Good luck in whatever you choose.

Zeek, AdamF and Dagwood like this.
  19. AdamF

AdamF Member

20170510_133411.jpg
    Settled on this guy for a hand saw. Most durable one I could find, slightly thicker blade than the silky and an aluminum frame. Anyone know how these perform?

Nordac likes this.
  20. Mel Timtiman

Mel Timtiman Member

I work as a Adventure Park Director and we make trails for ATVs and mountain bikes. I usually bring a machete, an axe, and a saw. I use the machete to cut trees not bigger than 6 inches in diameter, the axe if the trees are more than 6 inches in diameter and the saw for cutting the branches and stumps so it wont puncture the tires of the ATVs.

[​IMG]

Zeek likes this.