Depression/Anxiety? How do you deal?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mwramos76, Apr 9, 2017.

1. mwramos76

mwramos76 Member

Hope this is not an inappropriate topic for this forum, but I figure "like minded" folks may have tapped something I may not have. I don't really want to stir any poop or raise any concern for myself. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the subject perhaps any "tricks" to ground ones self. Anyway. Hope everyone is having a blessed day.

2. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

I can't really help too much, but @Flex has provided valuable insight in the past.

Flex, The Warrior and mwramos76 like this.
  3. jlowrance

jlowrance Member

I have had depression and generalized anxiety for years. I kept it to myself through most of my teens out of fear until I finally talked to my Dr. I've tried alot of medications before I found the right one. I always carry a few Xanax or clonazepam on me everywhere just in case. **** sucks to suffer from. The best advice I can give is to talk to someone qualified to help.

4. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Lying and making excuses seems to be working okay.

Probably not the best method though.

5. Dagwood

Dagwood Member

I believe everyone suffers from some sort of depression/anxiety some more severe than others obviously. I think a good hike goes a long way in helping cope with lifes curve balls

6. Dagwood

Dagwood Member

7. The Warrior

The Warrior Member

Have had anxiety for most of my life. I was always shy as a kid, but never had anxiety, that I know of. When I was 12, I was hanging around a kid that was 15, and he got me started on smoking weed. Yep, at 12. It made me paranoid around people, and that's when things started going downhill for me. I couldn't stand to be around crowds. If I was with my friends that got high too, I was okay, but when they wanted to go somewhere, I would make up excuses as to why I didn't, or couldn't go. Also, I was from a small town, population 650 people. School there went from Kindergarten, to the 6th grade. I had the same 20 kids in my class, that I was used to. As I said, I was 12 when I started getting high, and was getting paranoid. Then I had to go to school in the next town over, for junior high, and high school. Then I had 105 kids in my class alone, and I just couldn't deal with it. I was taking mild tranquilizers just to cope, but it never really helped me. I struggled big time, and was embarrassed by it. I tried many different meds, but found out there wasn't really a magic pill for an anxiety attack. I was skinny too, and if it weren't for the people I chose to hang out with, would have been picked on big time. I thought people were making fun of me because I was skinny, made fun of the way I walked, etc. At 16, I quit school, because of the issues I was having. Nobody really understood, and I was too embarrassed to say anything to them. They would tell me I was boring, etc. They just didn't get it. Even though I quit smoking weed when I was 22, (53 now), the anxiety never left. I couldn't even go into a restaurant and eat. Drive through was okay, but could never go in. It was a real struggle for me, as you can imagine. It affected my first marriage big time. We ended up getting divorced, and I chose to stay single for many years. 11 years ago, I met my wife. She's a great person, and I decided to let her know up front about my issues. A good choice. She was very understanding about it. And even though she was understanding, I knew if I didn't do something about it, we wouldn't last. So, I forced myself to start going to places I never dreamed of going to. Parties, movies, restaurants, etc. I found out that most of the anxiety was more about getting there, and once I was there I was okay, for the biggest part. I have a job where I'm around people all the time, and I've gotten much better about it. There are still times, however, that I struggle, but make the choice to not let it control my life. I guess I've just come to terms with it. There's many people out there that deal with it, you're not alone. They just hide it better is all. Even famous people that are in the limelight. Anyways, didn't mean to write a book here, just letting you know that you're not alone.

Flex, Bushman5, RocketmanDane and 8 others like this.
  8. ASH

ASH Member

I recommend hookers and freebasing cocaine.

The Warrior and mwramos76 like this.
  9. Dagwood

Dagwood Member

A challenging hobby such as model ship building or any such constructive hobby where the pleasure of having made something from nothing helps too.

10. Theodore

Theodore Member

The short days and darkness and cold get me down. I have found forcing oneself to get out and do things anyway help. Keeping busy. While "pops old school advice" we all jokingly give or hear, "stuff it way down and forget about it and don't talk about it" is not only probably dangerous but mostly just want to be tuff guy bs, there is a grain of Truth in it. Staying occupied and keeping your mind off it helps.
    On a related note I was traveling to the emergency room for chest pain not to long ago. I was close to the hospital, old lady was out with the baby. All the other kids were elsewhere, I was by myself. I was doing about 50mph and all of a sudden my heart tried to punch its way through my ribcage. I used to jump out of planes. I remember my first time vividly. That had nothing on this. SLAM, SLAM, SLAM, I got tunnel vision. Dizzy, everything was hazy and closing in. It was cold as sht out. I was sweating, I couldn't breath. On top of the chest pain I was already having. I was rolling down the window, pressing on the brake, the hospital was in view. A couple of deep breaths and it got a little better, I pulled in to the hospital and BLAM, SLAM,SLAM,SLAM. I almost passed out on the way to the door.
    Stupid story short my chest pain and some of the dizziness had nothing to do with my heart. (Gastro related)My blood pressure was through the roof, 20 min later it was normal. I had apparently had a panic attack. Apparently they can have severe effects on your health. I have only had one other instance like that since, (I was standing in a grocery store getting bananas, no apparent reason) but managed to take a couple of deep breaths and think "happy" thoughts and it went away. I have nothing but the utmost sympathy for people who suffer from this, and hope it "stays away".
    We just had a local broadcaster for the weather commit suicide. He was for lack of better words, the smile and the life of the party at the station he worked at.
    I think the point I am trying to get across is that @Dagwood is correct in my opinion, we all suffer to some degree. Loss can trigger it bad.
    And it is cool that @The Warrior shares his story, it may help others. And let's other people feel ok sharing there's.

11. mwramos76

mwramos76 Member

LOSS you said it brother. Loss has been kicking my butt since 2014. I really do appreciate the responses. I knew that I was not alone and I'm glad lots of people can relate. It's just tough sometimes.

12. otis

otis Member

an acquaintance microdoses with psilocybin for anxiety and depression.

Scrap and The Warrior like this.
  13. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

Tagged for interest.

Being around large groups of people I'm not familiar with have started bothering me. It's gotten worse as I get older.

14. SEMO

SEMO Member

Southeast MO, Mississippi River Bottom flatland
    Starting this thread is a great opening to relief. Sometimes just talking about things helps us locate the source of our anxiety. Dialogue will often make things worse, initially, because the root of the anxiety is revealed. The more open I am, the better opportunity others have to help me. The more open I am, the less I keep hidden away in secret. Denying trouble does not make it go away; honesty with myself, and with others helps to clear the air. Anxiety creates tension in the relations around us (work, school, and play). If those folks know what is going on progress can be made quickly toward forgiveness and restoration, from both their side and ours.
    Pray your day will find some ease and release. A brisk walk outdoors, a phone call to an old friend, a project that requires a little focus, watching an old western, sharpening a knife...whatever brings you some peace of mind.

15. nathan shepherd

nathan shepherd Member

Never avoid the situations that gives you anxiety. Face the fcuker and beat it or it will beat you.

It's a hard fight but eventually you can win the battle.

16. Scrap

Scrap Member

Looks like we've got a lot more in common than just a thing for overpriced cutlery.;)

17. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

As noted, I think most everyone suffers this to one degree or another in their life, some constantly others because of specific circumstances. Helping a mate with it now. My first things is ALWAYS avoid self medicating (drinking !!) this will just compound the issues and create others, secondly, stay active outdoors if you can, be in the "world" even if not interacting greatly with others. For many motivation is way down when you are depressed and anxious (partially because we are trying to "hide" from the problems) this is a self compounding issue if you don't force yourself out and do something, natural endorphin release from exercise is good for this !! And above all else, if you are not getting better or it lasts just too long, seek real help.

18. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I deal with it the old fashioned way: I push everything deeper and deeper inside until it explodes and destroys everything and everyone around me. I don't recommend that approach.

I've tried other things in recent years. I thought maybe a project would help my anxiety so I started a knife company. Then the knives never shipped and that caused me even more anxiety. So, I started a sticker company. Jury's still out on how everything will go.

Laughter is a good medicine. So is living for something much larger than yourself.

Also, you know how they tell you outdoors to trust your compass even though you're SURE North is a different direction? It's an analogy for how you feel. I have had friends that have taken their lives because of how bad they felt AT THAT MOMENT. Just like the compass always points north, low feelings will always pass.

You can live
    3 weeks without food
    3 days without water
    3 minutes without air
    3 seconds without hope

Find something that always gives you hope.

19. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Moderator Staff Member

It's worth noting that there's a big difference between being depressed and having clinical depression. It runs in my family in a bad way and I was blessed enough to only inherit a moderate case of it. A combination of rational self-talk and appropriate medication really help. There's a lot of shaming that goes on these days with folks taking meds to help with mental disorders, and while it's true that there are alternatives that can help, for clinical depression in most circumstances some degree of medication can have tremendous benefits. Not all medications will work the same for all individuals, so it's important to work with a mental health professional to find what works and what doesn't, as well as exploring other actions that can be taken to help. Just being aware of your own depressive spells is half the battle so you can keep it mentally segregated from everything else that's going on in your life. Clinical depression isn't rational. It's not directly caused or triggered by anything going on in your life, and so it can be intensely frustrating when everything is going well in your life and you feel like a worthless piece of crap. But being able to recognize that it's not true an it's just the depression talking can help with managing it. The struggle will always be there, but there are a lot of things that can be done to help manage it appropriately, and usually a multi-channeled approach works best.

Theodore, Flex, Delkancott and 4 others like this.
  20. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

Funny you mention that. My uncle (when he was living) build the most amazing models, particularly sailing ships. He was extremely agoraphobic and introverted but apparently had amazing focus.