recommendation for .22lr bolt action

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by VolGrad, Apr 2, 2017.

1. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

I have a desire to get a new .22lr rifle in a bolt action variety. Use is punching holes in paper from 50-100 yards. I already have a 10/22 setup with Hogue rubber oversold stock, custom trigger work, TacSol barrel, and a cheap scope. It's the bomb. I also have a Henry lever action .22lr youth model (currently for sale) but I want a bolt action this time.

The rifle must have a threaded barrel for a suppressor. I also prefer synthetic stocks. I don't need iron sights as I'll be putting glass on it anyway.

Here's what I'm considering;

CZ 455 American Synthetic Suppressor Ready or the Varmint model of same
    http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-455-american-suppressor-ready-22-lr-16-bbl-5-rd-mag-black-polymer/
    or
    http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-455-va...y-22-lr-16-bbl-5-rd-mag-black-laminate-stock/

Savage Mark II FV-SR
    http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIFVSR
    or B22 FV-SR
    http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/B22FVSR

Ruger American - Standard, Compact, or Target - all avail threaded
    http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/americanRimfireTarget/models.html

Background -
    I have owned a wood stock CZ 452 in the past and it was a nice gun but very heavy. I sold it as I wanted something different at the time.
    I think I owned a Savage for a hot minute once but have no recollection of details.
    I owned a Ruger American once and frankly it felt cheap to me.

If I were to buy right now I'd probably lean toward the CZ or Savage but am open to discussion.

I'd also need some recommendations on a scope. I don't want to spend a fortune - perhaps $100 max for scope and rings. Someone suggested to me a Nikon ProStaff but I have no experience. I just want something in the 3-9x power range that will hold zero between range trips.

Random side note - I have a LNIB Sig P239 SAS GenII 9mm and a LNIB Henry Youth .22lr lever action for sale if anyone is interested in purchasing to fund this rifle OR if you have an awesome bolt action .22lr to trade.

UPDATE 4/17
    Here's the end product - Savage Mark II FV-SR with Nikon Prostate 4-12x40 BDC 150.
    View attachment 8586

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    Zeek likes this.
  2. Zeek

Zeek Member

I'm a CZ fan but nothing wrong with the other choices you have. $100 for a scope and rings may be tuff. I have a Leupold VX-1 Rimfire 2-7x28mm on one of my boy's rifles which I like.

Kaw-liga and Theodore like this.
  3. erik

erik Member

CZ comes to mind first for me, followed by Ruger.
    Bushnell Banner is supposed to be a really good scope for the price.

Kaw-liga, Spikebot587 and Zeek like this.
  4. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

I said $100 because the $40 Simmons I have on my10/22 has been fine. Thought $100 would be a massive upgrade.

Kaw-liga and Zeek like this.
  5. skylerwebb14

skylerwebb14 Member

I have the 455 varmint and absolutely love that rifle. It is on the heavier side though. I don't think you could go wrong with that choice over the others.

6. erik

erik Member

yup - you can find the banner 3-9x40 under $90, not sure if it comes with rings & bases, but Ruger rifles often do.
    for that matter, I have a tasco still in the clamshell I'd sell you for $50 shipped.

7. Zeek

Zeek Member

I see this scope has no parallax adjustment and it didn't specify at what distance it is focused for. I'm guessing it's for 100yds. You may want to consider a dedicated rimfire scope which will have the parallax set for 50-60yds or a scope with adjustable parallax with a range below 100yds. It may make a difference if you're looking to make head shots on little tree rats at 50yds or so.

The Nikon PROSTAFF RIMFIRE II 3-9x40mm is on sale at MidwayUSA. It's a rimfire scope and parallax error free at 50yds and beyond.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    Kaw-liga likes this.
  8. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Without having any experience with any of the rifles you listed, my suggestion is either the Ruger or the Savage Mk2.

I can't imagine what the CZ has that the others don't have for twice the price. Ive never felt that .22 builds needed to be high budget. My nearly 50 year old Marlin shoots minute of squirrel at 100yds all day long. 8lb trigger and all.

I think if you punch out another high budget platform (I've seen your gun collection, you don't tend to buy cheap lol) you'll just end up with another investment that's worth selling when the fun wears out. If you keep it relatively cheap, you'll be able to justify hanging onto it when your .22 phase runs out.

I bought my kids a $150 single shot .22. No one shoots it but because it cost me basically nothing, I don't mind letting it take up space in the safe.

9. Zeek

Zeek Member

You listed them in the correct order... CZ, Savage, Ruger. :D You'll be happy with any of them. Invest in a better scope...

Kaw-liga and C99c like this.
  10. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

Don't have much to offer on the .22s, but I did send a PM on that sig!

11. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

Am I correct the difference in the varmint is the half inch longer barrel and the laminate stock vs synthetic on the regular? I know the shape of the stock is different but otherwise I assume it's basically the same rifle. Between the two CZs I would have to decide if the varmint is enough of an upgrade over the regular to justify the extra almost two pounds.

12. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

I can't speak to the others and am far from any kind of expert on the subject, but I have a CZ 455 American in .22/.17 and I love it. I will admit that I've only ever shot it in .17 though.

Zeek likes this.
  13. W.Jester

W.Jester Member

I've had a savage Mk II for years and am very happy with the gun. Mine is very accurate and hasn't let me down yet especially when pointed at a Tree rat

Zeek likes this.
  14. skylerwebb14

skylerwebb14 Member

The barrel is the biggest difference I know of. Not only is it a tad longer but it's also about 1" in diameter. Thing is a brute for sure. That and the American comes with open sights I think while my varmint doesn't.

15. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

The varmint is sold out everywhere but my LGS can find the regular CZ and the Savage.

16. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

Zeek likes this.
  17. Zeek

Zeek Member

18. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

Scope and rings just ordered via Amazon PRIME. Now just have to wait for everything to arrive.

I have an entire case of RWS sub-sonic ammo I've been sitting on for a long time as I feared it wouldn't feed well in my 10/22. Time to break it out with a new bolt gun soon to arrive.

Zeek likes this.
  19. skylerwebb14

skylerwebb14 Member

I have three friends who all own that gun. One in 22lr and two in 17hmr and they are great guns. I think you'll enjoy the purchase.

Zeek likes this.
  20. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

VolGrad and Zeek like this.