Utility quad (ATV): please help me research one

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Stone, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Stone

Stone Member

So over the last month or so, I've started hatching a new transportation plan. I haven't owned a motorized vehicle -- car, truck, motorcycle, etc -- in almost 7 years (in May). The why part is a long story for another day, but suffice to say, it was neither my plan nor my desire. S*** happens. During that time, I've had my legs and my trusty bike, which has kept me healthier and in better shape (at 66) than otherwise.

But it's reeked havoc on my travel, especially to big, wild places that feed my soul and spirit. (Hiker since 9, camper since early teens, backpacker since 23, etc. I live in northern Maine for a reason (click on "Adventures" in my sig line for more).

In December, I moved to the northern most part of the state I've lived in -- about an hour NW of Bangor, just about 50 mi (as the crow flies) south of Mt Katahdin, the shining star of northern Maine mountains. It's inside a giant "state park" with a new 78,000 acre national monument abutting it on the east. It's called Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument. I'm am simply chomping at the bit to get up there during the warm season -- coming in a few months.

I've also learned that there are over 3000 miles of ATV and snowmobile trails in this state. Recently, in talking with some locals, I've learned that it's relatively easy to get from here -- I mean literally 200' out my door on a trail over there -- right to the national monument and into it. (Limited ATV travel in the monument, but that's ok: I can walk other places.)

So, I'm hatching a new plan. Originally, I wanted to buy a car first, and perhaps later, an ATV. Now, I'm considering turning that around. I'm more interested in getting to the wilderness than to the city. (I can use the same trail going the other way to get within about three blocks of my grocery store, post office, etc.)

I'm researching a bit and learning that used ATV's -- even quite good ones -- are going to be half what a car would (I want a Subaru Outback, the state car up here). Plus registration, licensing, insurance, maintenance, etc -- all far less.

But I'm a total, clueless newbie. I've never even ridden one. (Closest I got was a Kawasaki 550 in my thirties.)

So, I'm asking for some guidance.

To be clear, I will not -- cannot -- buy new. It'll be used.

I know this much from reading. I want a utility quad with front and back racks. I'd like to carry my pack (Halftrack) plus a lot of other gear and food. Knowing my backpacking habits, when I used to hump 50 - 70 lbs in packs, I know I'd like to be able to carry maybe 60 - 80 lbs for a week's trip. Add my 140 lbs.

I'm positive I do NOT want a SxS. I want a single-seater. I want 4X4.

My biggest questions is, what size. It seems that most articles I'm reading suggest maybe 350 - 500 cc, but some suggest less (though I think the smaller ones are more sporters rather than trail).

But then all the other decisions: power steering, brake type, carb v fuel injection, etc, etc, et freaking cetera.

What's my budget going to be? No clue. Too many unknowns for me business wise now. Not even totally sure I can make this happen this year (2017). But I like to have golden rings sticking out on the merry-go-round to challenge me. If I can set a needed budget, it's going to make it easier for me to earn that money.

Oh, and this quad will likely be used for business use also. That's another long story, but it's not going to be purely a personal toy.

Guidance, advice, questions all welcome.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    Bruno_GO likes this.
  2. McKROB

McKROB Member

I've got a Honda 420 Rancher with dual auto/manual ECP clutch, I'd never buy anything other than a Honda. I also owned a Can-am Outlander 500, which I wasn't too impressed with and sold. Other than replacing the battery, I've never had any problems at all with the Honda. I added an aluminium light bar to the front with Rigid LEDs (two flood and one spot Dually's), a Moose Utility Divison rear rack, a Kolpin chain saw press, Kolpin Gun Boot, Kolpin Fuel Pack Jr, and a Tradesman aluminum toolbox, along with some RAM mounts and a 12v accessory plug. I upgraded the winch to a Warn 2500lb with wireless remote control.

[​IMG]

I didn't want anything big; small is easier to pull out when stuck, and the 420 has more than enough power for what I use it for which is about 80% work, 10% hunting/fishing, and 10% SAR. The independent dual arm suspension gives a much smoother ride than the solid axle Foreman, and I really like the automatic ECP transmission. It always amazes me just how capable it is off-road!

A couple videos from work below. The guy I'm working with in front of me has a Polaris and seems to like it. This was a two hour ride each way to work in icy cold water up as high the seat.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    Theodore, Kevin and Stone like this.
  3. Marty W

Marty W Member

Honda Rancher or Rubicon. I've had 2 Rubicon's. they are nice!

Stone likes this.
  4. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Honda is hard to beat for reliability. I'd check out anything from them or Yamaha. Can-Am is where I'm going (as we discussed before) but you saw how expensive they can be. Used Hondas are a dime a dozen, parts are cheap, and they're pretty easy to maintain. A 400-450 would be great for what you want I think. Since you're looking used I'd try to find someone selling one with a gun case/rack, winch, or any other goodies you'd eventually want to add yourself.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    Stone likes this.
  5. Stone

Stone Member

Some good advice here, so far. Thanks. I'm reading. I'll focus on researching Honda's for a while ...

6. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Don't mean to be the negative Nancy here. But if you're expecting to travel with this ATV, park it somewhere and leave it for any amount of time, it's going to get stolen. Simple fact, it's just a numbers game of when it gets stolen.

Locks don't help. Trust me, I know too many people that have put wheel/brake locks on motorcycles and they still grow legs when no one is watching.

Zeek likes this.
  7. Stone

Stone Member

Oh, I hear you re potential theft. Trust me, I get it.

Fortunately, I'm a master of camouflage. I have tricks that I can use to make an ATV completely invisible from a few feet away (relatively easy in the thick woods up here -- and someday, I'll reveal them. ;)

However, for the kinds of trips I have in mind with this one, it'll be parked in camp with me and a shotgun.

Zeek likes this.
  8. cosmophonic12

cosmophonic12 Member

Here's my Rancher 420

[​IMG]

Zeek and Stone like this.
  9. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

Honda Rancher 420, manual shift!

Stone likes this.
  10. Nowhere

Nowhere Member

Most of the major brands are good. My Polaris 500 ATP is 12 years old and it's still going strong. The Polaris Sportsman 500 will do pretty much anything you want, but they are spendy. One of the guys I ride with has an even older 500 Sportsman and he rides it every summer.

Honda and Suzuki have been in the game even longer and either will do you fine. Just pick the size that fits your needs. I would stick to 500 cc to run a 4x4. They go in the snow if it's not too deep. I've taken my Polaris everywhere I've been in a 4x4 truck, and then some.

Stone likes this.
  11. Stone

Stone Member

I would really value hearing/reading more about the differences -- pros/cons -- between manual shift and automatic in ATV's. Having driven both kinds of transmissions in cars and trucks during my life, and having learned how to drive in a jeep stick shift (being able to start from stop in double low made learning clutch operation super easy), I sort of understand the advantages and disadvantages of both. But not so much with ATV's, though I imagine there's substantial overlap there with cars.

Also, last evening, I quipped that I'm a master of camouflage. Make that more an advanced apprentice. And my skills with it are not for personal camouflage -- as in for hunting or snipers -- but with camp camouflage, that is, setting up stealthy camps. There's a bit of a story behind my assertion that started in my childhood and continues today. I'll share it after work.

12. Stone

Stone Member

On a quick, late lunch break, doing some reading about ATV's, trying to take my next step in research.

At the moment, based in large (but not sole) part on posts in this thread, I'm liking the Honda 420 best.

Found this good review of 2016 models (I've only scanned it so far, but will read in detail later). The same group has similar reviews for every year from at least 2014 to 2017, but this is the one I'll read first. Scroll down for 4x4.

Admittedly, I won't be able to afford a later model -- I'll need to go back in year models to get to my price range. But this is useful context, to see how they've evolved, what was present in yesteryear, what's been added and why.

I can say this unequivocally: I won't buy a bright colored one: red, blue, what ever. I'll be looking for either olive, camo or something similar (see above: camouflage) too which I'll add my own camouflage magic in camp.

PPML (please pardon my lust). {Ok, back to work ...}

[​IMG]

13. DonP

DonP Member

Honda builds a good machine no doubt...I've had two Foreman's a 450 with electric shift and then a 500 foot shift. Both had swing arm rear suspension which took a toll on my body. Good "bush" machines though, the 450 a little better in tight woods due to it being physically smaller. I've since moved on to a SxS's but thought I'd say to really consider the yamaha Kodiak 450....at least here in Canada it's called Kodiak, might be called grizzly 450 stateside. It's a compact chassis with a great driveline. Also available with power steering. Front diff lock, low range transmission and independent rear suspension make for a good machine. Yamaha builds a good machine, I don't think anyone would dispute that.

McKROB and Stone like this.
  14. Stone

Stone Member

Thanks for stopping in and offering a suggestion. Much appreciated.

Will def look based on your good description.

Can't get a dealer page in CA to load; I'll keep trying ...

But here's a first image -- which tells me it's on the list already.

Nice racks. (Wait, can I say "racks" on this forum? :oops: }

[​IMG]

15. Stone

Stone Member

^That one^ was a 2005.

Here's a 2016.

Lean, mean, and leaning forward.

[​IMG]

16. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Buy any colour (horrible reds and blues will be cheaper) and add krylon or similar paint to whatever tone(s) you want.

I am not al all a big fan of quads, beyond carrying capacity they offer few advantages over bikes and unless you intend hauling out big game whole that is mostly a moot point.

Can you ride a dirt bike on the trails you can an ATV, legally I mean ?

Add some decent racks to an AG bike and it will go more places that a quad, safer and in my opinion, more comfortably. You can also get technical and add a small trailer if you need to haul more.

I worked in a bike dealership many moons ago and in quads Honda, Yamaha and Kawasaki reigned supreme here. Polaris have made some inroads to that since I moved on to a different field. I too would prefer a manual shift if you are doing more than toying around on a quad. Gives you more control at the points you will most need it.

I considered a quad for a good bit but came to my senses and started my Zombie Express project that has been seen here in my hunting pics a few times.

17. Stone

Stone Member

Dude, I'm 66 and live in the US state of Maine,
    just below Quebec and west of New Brunwick, Canada.

This is not suburbia, but the edge of the wildest, most rugged topography
    on the US east coast. No state south of here can touch this ****

You do know your northern hemisphere geography, right? o_O

I've had a hard 7 years with no motorized vehicle.
    No car, no truck, no "jeep" {tm}.

I've walked or pedaled everywhere,
    including in winter -- and winters here
    are way far more bitter and wet than you ever dreamed,
    Mr. Aussie. :mad:

I've grocery shopped on foot and bike w/ backpack.
    I've carried stuff from the hardware and Wally's.

I've lived in 30 places, in 10 towns, and had to get my stuff from 1 to 2
    using other people's transporter units,
    or sometimes on foot.

Now I want to get to big, wild lands north of here easily
    on ATV trails, not streets or sidewalks or bike trails.
    There's a major difference in those trails.

I want to carry backpack, extra gear and food for 2 weeks at a time.

I'm not interested in pedaling it.
    If you want me to carry it by bike,
    then crawl out of your jeep nemesis,
    and get your ass up here and pedal. ;)

Otherwise, I get this ATV.

<best Ragnar Lothbrok stare>

Any questions?

:oops:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    ManOfSteel likes this.
  18. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

WTF are you talking about ? MOTORCYCLE !!!! You know two wheels and an ENGINE !!! You will note I did not mention peddling ;) or "push bike" which is the generally accepted term (Australian perhaps) for a manually propelled cycle :).

AG Bike = low geared motorcycle, generally with and auto clutch and manual shift and fitted with stout racks front and back. If you look at what refer to as the Zombie Express (many pics of it here) you will see it is a Yamaha XT600 with steel racks front and back (with a removable hard rifle case).

And yes I am familiar with the US (I have been to more parts of it than many my American friends) along with Europe, the South Pacific Islands and for the past two weeks, New Zealand (Kawekas and where there was still snow on the distant peaks, even though it was still summer when I arrived) so no need for a disparaging remark about one's understanding of geography ;)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    Bcamos and Strigidae like this.
  19. McKROB

McKROB Member

Yamaha is a good choice as well, really popular around here, my second choice after Honda.

Not sure if it's just regional Canadian vernacular, but it's really common in both rural Newfoundland and Ontario to call your ATV/quad a "bike", which drives me nuts. No one ever seems to refer to their motorcycle as a bike but they will call their bicycle a bike. Go figure.

ManOfSteel likes this.
  20. Theodore

Theodore Member

Yes you can. I had a kx 250 and then a cr 250. Weekends around here pit riding/racing and trail riding is huge. My Father rode his dirtbike to work on the trails when I was a kid. I always wanted a Huskivarna dirt bike, never got around to it. I stopped crashing with style, ehem, riding when I had kids.

Zeek likes this.