Tractor Talk

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bcamos, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

So now I really need to do some reading. Sounds like I need to go to the dealer and just kick some tires, or buckets. No...no. No kicking buckets.

Anyway, on JD's website, I can get a 3025R (much bigger tractor) with a front loader for the same price as the fully loaded 1025R. It's several hundred pounds heaver than either of the others and it's slightly longer and a few inches wider.

2. timdgsr

timdgsr Member

Can you get two of them under list? I'm in the market as well

I've been doing the same comparisons. The 1 series JD looks a lot better than the comparable Kubota bx series. When you get to the 2032, the b series kubota gets a lot more comparable or even better, according to paper at least. I'm just reading and learning, no personal experience yet.

3. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Where are you located?

4. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

I know you're looking to buy from family, but have you looked into a used one, even through a dealer? A lot of municipalities trade their lightly used machines into dealers for newer models. I would seriously consider it. Also, as much as possible, leave money for attachments. Again, used.

For the backhoe, how much do you think you'll use it? They are a very expensive addition that you may be better off renting a small excavator that will be a lot better for most digging jobs.

5. ppfd

ppfd Member

Awesome! I have family in the Worcester, Boston areas. My late uncle was a Worcester firefighter.
    Yeah the south is so much better! :D

6. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

@Delkancott Just testing this out in case I need to alert you to this thread lol.

7. Ravenous12

Ravenous12 Member

I own a Mahindra 28xl with FEL and all sorts of accessories. Thing is a beast. I did a lot of shopping around and don't regret the decision. Lifts more than my father in laws 30 horse Deere.

8. Sheepdog

Sheepdog Member

My buddies say the same thing. Mahindra is doing good work.

9. Ravenous12

Ravenous12 Member

Yup, built more like old tractors and way solid, but still have modern engines. Some of the Deere and Kubota tractors I looked at were riveted angle iron and super light weight.

10. Sheepdog

Sheepdog Member

Made in 'Merica too from what I've gathered.

Ravenous12 likes this.
  11. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

That's it. I'm shutting off my alerts. @Bcamos

Bcamos likes this.
  12. timdgsr

timdgsr Member

Birmingham, AL

13. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Willing to drive to southern VA to save a few grand?

14. erik

erik Member

get a dedicated riding mower and but the 32 hp model -- scuts have minimal ground clearance and if you're lucky, a 700 pound lift including the weight of the bucket.
    you will want a 5-6' brush hog at some point -- it's good to be able to mow down the pasture 1-2 times a season, to keep the grass sweet and limit brush from invading.
    post hole diggers are handy -- a 9" augur is a perfect size to bury pets under 30 pounds. 12" works for useful sized dogs. (and corner posts)
    since you're in NC, you can shop at Agri-Supply to get attachments in colors other than green for roughly half the cost of the comparable green tool.
    Back hoes are really convenient 1-2 times a year and the rest of the time they're expensive and a pain to weed eat around.
    rent a trencher or mini-excavator -- or talk to a local excavator and find out what he charges to dig graves for livestock -- around here it's generally $100 for a 4x10x6' deep hole.

Bcamos and Delkancott like this.
  15. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Solid advice. Thank you.

16. Ravenous12

Ravenous12 Member

I can lift over 1400 lbs with my 28XL FEL. Over a ton on the 3pt.

17. erik

erik Member

I have a Mahindra 3510 -- love it.
    there are days when i wish I had a backhoe -- but the added weight wold kill me whenever I would hit a soft spot while bush hogging.
    pallet forks and box blade are must have attachments, as is a QD front bucket.
    Pat's quick exchange adapters for the 3pt arms are a good thing as well.

If your tractor will be primarily for moving things and mowing, you want a lighter tractor. If you're going to do ground engagement (box blade, scraper, harrow, plow) then you want a heavier tractor. Filling your tires with washer fluid is a good way to add weight without adding stress to axles. (you can buy it by the 55 gallon steel drum at Sam's Club, then you have a good steel drum for other things, like a DIY UDS smoker or a burn barrel)

18. evilunclegrimace

evilunclegrimace Member

All of you guys that live where it snows should consider getting a tractor with a cab and a snow blower.

19. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

@Delkancott - Went by the house today for inspections. The owner was there and I got to talk to him about his tractor. He keeps it in the garage - he's willing to let it go for $17,000. 41HP with 380 hours. Comes with a 6' box blade, hay spike and the bush hog that's attached to it in the pictures. Unfortunately, he's not offering to leave the boat lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And if you care to see what the barn looks like -
    [​IMG]

Zeek likes this.
  20. Ravenous12

Ravenous12 Member

Keep in mind most tractors can be bought new at 0%. I have 0% for 7 years from mahindra. I couldn't justify spending a lump sum at that offer.