Handkerchiefs

Discussion in 'EXPAT Knives®' started by Expat, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

Here's a thread I never thought I'd start. I was looking at @GaryMc 's fantastically coordinated and varied EDC accoutrement and began to increasingly take an interest in his handkerchiefs. They are entirely splendid. Having just carried plain linen ones from Brooks Brothers my whole life, I never gave much thought to them. Now I'd like to have a few of those of the dandy style. I think they will also get little Expat Jr. more into carrying them, which all men/boys should get in the habit of.

So, fire away. Show me some of your handkerchiefs, some sites where you get them, etc. (I'm hoping this is pic heavy).

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2009/03/26/every-man-should-carry-a-handkerchief/

[​IMG]

Ranger53, Bushman5, JMJ and 1 other person like this.
  2. Schmittie

Schmittie Member

I've got a few custom hankys from the forum. I wished they were available a little more though.

Edit to add-Oops, no pics yet. I'll have to take a few

GaryMc likes this.
  3. Rook52

Rook52 Member

I'm a plain linen guy, but I'm thinking kryptek highlander. Come on @Expat i know you'd want one.

JMJ and GaryMc like this.
  4. Expat

I would rock that!

Hopefully I wouldn't have to use it in the woods, I'd drop it and it would instantly melt into the backdrop, never to be seen again. (It'll end up wherever my Zippo hand warmer went one deer hunt).

GaryMc likes this.
  5. Rook52

Rook52 Member

I've owned so many of those, zippo hand warmer. I always end up giving them to someone in camp.

GaryMc likes this.
  6. Expat

Man, I love them when sitting in the deer stand. I keep one in my pocket and my fingers stay pliable so I can work the safety.

7. jlowrance

jlowrance Member

I have like 5 or 6 I bought from monkeyz here on the forum that I carry daily. I think the prices some of these are going for are crazy tho.

Schmittie and GaryMc like this.
  8. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

I've personally always though the idea of carrying hanky to blow ones nose then stick back in your pocket is gross. Also, the thought of handing it someone else to wife their secretions in then taking it back .... gross. Other uses are valid I suppose but still not for me.

dhunley1, bax229 and GaryMc like this.
  9. FlintRiver

FlintRiver Member

I might let my wife or daughter use my hanky but I usually reserve that for personal use.

10. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

Never not had a handkerchief or a bandana on me. Been carrying them since middle school at least, considered it just propper etiquette to always have it to catch those sneezes or screw ups with food and drink we all have from time to time. Plus had more girls needing to borrow one than you can shake a stick at my entire life, including my Wife of almost 20 years now. Small kids? They come in really handy there. So you make sure they are clean when you leave for the day or have spares nearby. Carried plain white ones til I moved out West, then bandanas. Moved back South, back to white until the great new online entrepreneurs started making some really cool ones in recent years. When I wore suits for a couple of decades, also always had one as a pocket square in that breast pocket of my jacket, some fancy silk, some plain white linen. Had to look the part of a gentleman even on the days I certainly did not feel like one in the business world. Those days are almost over for me and I won't miss them when they are. Learned to hate ties over the years but still put them on for funerals and weddings, something I rarely see others doing now, but I digress....

The two best retailers I know of are both online only entrepreneurs. First up is Godspeed Tactical, many of us here are friends of Eli, who was a member of the old forum. His can be found at: http://www.godspeedtactical.com/test-shop/
    I know he would appreciate your business.

The second is Hanks by Hank at: http://hanksbyhank.bigcartel.com

Keep in mind both these guys are entrepreneurs, both run small operations, thus designs change often. If you see it and like it, you had better buy it because it may be permanently out of stock by the time you get back to the site. Also check back regularly as designs change quickly. What I can say about both companies are they have great often cutting edge styling, both have excellent customer service, and in my experience both ship very swiftly for small operations. They have designs from sweet (cutesy) to classic to totally bad a$$. Keep in mind these are 2-layer, different print on each side, made in small shops of excellent materials so they aren't cheap. Here are just a few of my recent purchases

GODSPEED TACTICAL

[​IMG]

HANKS BY HANK

[​IMG]

If you want something cheaper but stylish, I'd suggest looking at smaller bandanas, they can be had in almost every pattern on the planet today. Pick something you want type the name and bandana on eBay and literally hundreds pop up. Plus there is nothing wrong with plain old cotton linen handkerchiefs, they can be had cheap and I still carry those as well.

Bushman5, JMJ, JAD and 1 other person like this.
  11. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

@Expat BTW: "The Art of Manliness" is a book every grown man & boy should read, needs to be highlighted on your "reads" thread........

RedEyedHog and JMJ like this.
  12. Stone

Stone Member

I'm like Gary: carried a hank daily since I was maybe 6. LOTS of allergies as a kid, teen and early adult. Now, just part of my EDK. Bandanas too, at least two in the day pack (and I mean day pack, every single day --- never leave home without it, basic survival gear, and stuff I need -- fire, first aid, toothpicks, etc.)

Of course, my hanks pale by comparison with Gary's.

JAD and GaryMc like this.
  13. Rook52

Rook52 Member

I'm just a sweater, I need one to wipe sweat. I carry one all the time outside of work.

GaryMc likes this.
  14. FlintRiver

FlintRiver Member

Nice , a little pricey but nice.

GaryMc likes this.
  15. JAD

JAD Member

GaryMc and Stone -- thanks for the great posts. Your social commentary was right on as far as I'm concerned.

Likes: ties/weddings/stuff I need/daypack/business world attire/just to name a few of your mentions.

Stone and GaryMc like this.
  16. Expat

I agree. I never use mine for that. There seems to always be a tissue, paper towel, napkin or something around somewhere. I have used them to stop a kid's bloody nose. Or to put some ice in it to hold against a goose egg.

GaryMc likes this.
  17. JAD

JAD Member

Don't you guys just use your sleeves?

Then the snot doesn't get in your pocket.

Bcamos and GaryMc like this.
  18. Expat

Gross!!!

I use other people's sleeves.

19. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

Huckleberry Woodchuck.
    Forum member that does make each hank by hand.

GaryMc likes this.
  20. 91bravo

91bravo Guest

Never carried a hank before. I see that it's trendy nowadays....

GaryMc likes this.