Television: Cutting the Cord

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Delkancott, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

Any experience with the 4th Gen. Apple TV? I really like our Apple stuff, but @ $150 it's not cheap.

2. cosmophonic12

cosmophonic12 Member

I cut my cord over three years ago and very satisfied! All of the time wasted in front of my TV, no more of that bullshit anymore!! When my NFL is on, ill watch football if I have the time. I purchased the Mohu Leaf 30 and works well for me.

[​IMG]

Delkancott likes this.
  3. cosmophonic12

cosmophonic12 Member

I subscribed to their service for two months last summer with the ESPN package. If you are satisfied watching it on your PC, its streams perfectly. When I attempted to stream it (Google Chromecast) to my TV, the stream was slow, pixilated and paused. I cancelled it after two months of use.

Delkancott likes this.
  4. JollyRoger523

JollyRoger523 Member

I haven't had TV service since 2002. Not even an antenna with the digital converter. We don't miss it one bit. We get DVDs from the library all the time, otherwise we would probably get Netflix or similar. The old lady has easy access to the library from her work, so going there is not an inconvenience in our situation. The only downside is TV series shows, we're always a year behind because we have to wait until that season hits DVD.

5. Bobo03

Bobo03 Member

How do you like PS Vue? I was thinking of the $29 month package for the Disney channel. We already have Netflix and Amazon.

6. Theodore

Theodore Member

I like it. You can dvr and on demand with it. The kids like it. You have a favorites page and all that jazz. I have the middle package. I binged watched game of thrones .I would reccomend it. I get one channel that plays my local news.

Delkancott likes this.
  7. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

I am too much of a current events guy to want to be in the dark on day to day stuff. Although, my blood pressure might go down and my stress levels be reduced and my time be used more valuably. lol

8. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

NO ONE needs television or cable or satellite anymore.

there is thing called the Internet...check it out its AWESOME!

ANYTHING, and I DO mean ANYTHING, is avaiable on the web....

like watching girls and horses?

internet

like watching movie and not paying for them ?

internet

like watching liberals cry ?

Internet

looking for a widget to fill a need in a whats it?

Internet

there is no need for television anymore.

Slade likes this.
  9. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

How are you viewing it? A PlayStation?

10. Theodore

Theodore Member

Yes, PlayStation 4

11. martin_j001

martin_j001 Member

We were some of the first people I knew to "cut the cord" many years ago. We are much better off for it. We still pay for Hulu, Netflix, HBO, Showtime and Amazon Prime. We use a combination of all those, and occasionally purchase a series from Amazon as well, if it's something we both really like. Other than that, we wait for it to come out on Netflix or somewhere else. As far as our bill goes, we might still spend $50-60 per month, but at least its for content we want to watch, and not a bunch of extra crap we have no use for. We no longer spend time with the tv on just to have it on, or searching for things to watch...if we turn it on, we have something in mind already.

Delkancott likes this.
  12. inconel710

inconel710 Member

We cut the cord last September. Comcast bill was about to go over $200. Bought an Amazon FireTV stick for TV watching, my own cable modem (no rental fee anymore!), and Ooma for telephone (needed for my dad, plus wife likes having a house phone). Here's where I am cost wise now:

Comcast for just internet: $83/month.
    Amazon Prime: $99/yr which comes out to $8.25/month.
    Hulu: $8/month. (with commercials)
    CBS All Access: $10/month (for SEC football)
    Sling: $50/month (both channel packs plus extra sports channels so I can watch SEC games)
    Ooma: $5.20/month (taxes & fees)

Total bill is now: $164.45

But I have the ability to lower it now that football season is almost over. No one in my house cares about any other sports, so I can drop CBS and Sling's Sports package. That brings it down to $144/month. Plus the payments are spread out and I don't feel like I'm getting hammered every month. I'll upgrade Hulu to no commercials when Amazon makes it easier.

The only thing I miss s being able to DVR stuff and watch it sooner. With Hulu you have to wait a day or two to watch the latest episode. Sling is live, but no DVR. There are some on-demand shows on Sling (that's how I watch Alone and Forged in Fire), but they change constantly and you can't wait too long.

Live sports is the hardest thing to figure out when you cut the cord. Sling is almost there, but some networks aren't on it (like CBS!).

ETA - after getting used to the one FireTV stick, we now have three of them! One in the basement, one in the living room and one in my dad's room.

Delkancott likes this.
  13. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

Do you watch the sling via fire stick?

ETA: I've also been reading that when using wireless devices like chromecast or firestick there's a lot of streaming errors with Sling, but that the wired ones are fine. Do you all find this true?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  14. inconel710

inconel710 Member

Yes, we watch Sling on the FireTV Stick. We will occasionally have streaming errors with the FireTV sticks. Rebooting the stick usually fixes it. Streaming errors can be caused by your wifi router. I went all in when I bought the cable modem and sprung for the best Linksys router I could find. I've good results with them in the past and wanted the best I could get to feed the three TV sticks, three phones, XBox, laptop, Kindles, etc.

Delkancott likes this.
  15. Bobo03

Bobo03 Member

Some of us might be opposed to stealing digital content.

For all the posts I see about counterfeit knives, I have to ask myself how is stealing ditigal any different?

16. Slade

Slade Member

I have a Roku 3 as my access point. Wife's parents still have cable, so I get to use their account to access HBO, Showtime, History, FOX, Fox sports, ESPN, etc. you name it. Even though I live 110 miles away. If its an established channel on your cable/satellite, there is probably a channel for it on the Roku. Live TV viewing is usually an option, new shows are available instantly when they come out, often commercial free. It is the most widely supported box of its type that I am aware of. I also have a chromecast but I really have little use for it any more. I would not own an apple TV in place of the Roku even though it would be nice to airplay video through my phone. My Dennon A/V unit at home allows audio airplay which is good enough for me. I stopped paying for cable about 2.5 years ago. Now my building has just purchased a gigabit connection to be shared and even my cable internet bill will be going away.

17. Nether

Nether Member

I find it quite hilarious that people pay a lot of money to be commercialized into oblivion.

18. T-103

T-103 Member

When my (now) wife moved in together, we decided it was time to cut the cord. The first 6 months of us owning a house all we watched was old school VHS and the occasional DVD. After the initial cord cutting we opted for Netflix (Canadian) and then were given an android box for Christmas. We are going on 4 years without cable. Mind you if you are streaming you are going to have to pay for premium internet.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  19. olderguy

olderguy Member

^ I have the lowest cost Comcast internet and do fine with my Amazon Fire TV.

20. mwramos76

mwramos76 Member

I don't know man. I Love my H-E-B / Spurs commercials here in south Texas lol

Bcamos likes this.