12:13 am

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stone, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Stone

Stone Member

On Sunday, January 15.

What's up?

2. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

3. Stone

Stone Member

Here's mine.

Temps are down. We were experiencing March temps: 40's F.
    But Friday and Saturday went back to the 20's for highs, single digits - pos and neg -- at night.

My new apartment building seems filled with drama,
    punctuated by ... um, questionable management.
    So, what else is new?

I'm planning to buy a 20 ga coach gun asap because ... well, just because.

But I have to earn some money first. I have a plan.

4. Stone

Stone Member

I can't think of a better city for heavy reign ... oh, sorry, rain .. than PDX.

5. Stone

Stone Member

{We need some music here ... looking through music bookmarks ...}

6. Stone

Stone Member

-- found it --

7. Flex

Flex Moderator Staff Member

That's the weakest Korn song I have ever heard....sell outs

I remember when Korn was cool

Dagwood and Strigidae like this.
  8. mil spec

mil spec Member

Been in the house most of the weekend waiting on the freezing rain and ice to hit above Interstate 70 here in Missouri. Nothing yet.

Strigidae likes this.
  9. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

High end 70's here, grey and damp, pretty muddy when I was out hiking yesterday. Warm enough for mosquitos to be a bother.

10. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

Subzero last week to 68F and heavy rains 01/13. Odd weather.

11. CWB

CWB Member

Yea weird weather. Maybe Al Gore was right.

12. Stone

Stone Member

Great responses all.

Flexx, I agree re weakness of that Korn track. I like it more for the videography than the song, which is relatively poppy.

But mainly, I'm interested by all of your comments about the weather. Odd weather, indeed. We had several days in the 40's here with lots of snow melting (about half of our 2' pack), now we're back into the deep freeze for four days (through Monday) -- back to low teens to 20's F during the day with plus and minus singles at night, clear skies -- then starting Tuesday, back into the 40's for four days with rain. We may lose the entire snow pack.

Al Gore? I pay him zero attention. He's a politician, not a scientist, and has an agenda all his own. I trust the majority of climatologists, though, and ... oh, we'll save that discussion for later. Back to the weather for now ... and anything else that's going on.

For example, at 12:13 pm (roughly), I'm eating chicken soup for lunch, and thawing some catfish for dinner tonight while enjoying the (warm looking) sunshine streaming in my south-facing windows.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  13. Flex

Flex Moderator Staff Member

Cold 28f is the high, cold to me at least.
    Depressing is what I call it, bored with nothing to do but look outside.
    Smog is developing/Inversion and that makes it even colder, plus it looks and smells horrible.

Can't wait for March

14. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

60 something. Sunny.

15. Stone

Stone Member

Yesterday, I received two medium-sized boxes filled with memorabilia (stored for almost 7 years in another state) -- photo albums, mementos, rocks, pieces of wood, and -- perhaps most importantly for me right now -- art that I did during my life, most of it (so far -- more is coming) between the ages of 7 - 11, then in my 20's and 30's. It's mostly watercolor and pen and ink, with one notable photo -- actually the calendar version of a photo that I took. Last night, I sorted through it; about half will go on my wall -- all of it for now is unframed; hopefully that will change someday.

I'm putting them all in a small space (about 6' x 6') of wall space on what I call my natural art wall that will become a wall full of art ** made from natural materials (e.g., wreath, weaving, cattails, cones etc) -- after a few months, especially after spring thaw makes more things like pine cones and dried plants available (right now under snow). The only piece up there now is an 18" x 42" x 1/2" piece of rough cut pine, left over from a take down of a large diseased white pine from a town I lived in last spring. (See attached a photo of one little piece of it -- one of four knots.) Looking at the pattern of "rings" around a knot, and watching how they interact with other rings/layers as they weave through the piece, and trying to visualize 3D how it looked in the tree -- is itself an art form.) I'm pinning some selected other art piece to it. For example, a little statuette carved from a 1" x 6" piece of alder wood a few years ago using my Mora 2/0 that I got from @FortyTwoBlades.

But I digress. The experience was almost emotional for me, looking again -- in my new home in a new town in a region that I love, where I hope to spend the remainder of my days alive -- at art I did starting almost 60 years ago, and seeing the connection to nature that I had even then helps me understand why I became (first) a biologist, (then) an evolutionary ecologist, all with the background of major outdoors person (since I was like 4, I wanted to be outside more than inside) with 3 toes in the art world.

I've attached an image of one of my favorite pieces (I took images of all before putting them in storage -- you never know). It's water color sketch of a dogwood branch, done when I was 9 under the tutelage of a fantastic art teacher, private no less: my mother encouraged me to develop my art skills, but I became a scientist instead. :D

** Footnote on that art wall. It's one of the long walls in my studio (what for most in this building is a "living room" for me is a bushcraft studio built around a 6.5' x 4' x 3/4" piece of finished birch plywood serving as a workstation for tools and projects -- yeah, man cave. ;)

Art pine.JPG

Art - Dogwood branch - 1959 sans name.jpg

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    FortyTwoBlades likes this.
  16. Stone

Stone Member

Added by late edit as a footnote to my post above.

** Footnote on that art wall. It's one of the long walls in my studio (what for most in this building is a "living room" for me is a bushcraft studio built around a 6.5' x 4' x 3/4" piece of finished birch plywood serving as a workstation for tools and projects -- yeah, man cave. ;)

17. Stone

Stone Member