All Things Hammocks

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by RocketmanDane, Sep 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Let's talk Hammocks!
    Let's see them! Whatcha got?
    What do you Recommend ? What do you NOT recommend ? Why?
    Pro's? Con's?
    Experiences?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    MarriedTheMedic likes this.
  2. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Ive been playing with making my own. I can say that the fabric type changes the feel. The length and width also change the lay. Nonexpert here but ive tried three to four fabrics and like robic xl but do not like that its not as tough as some other fabrics as my dog goes with me camping. The 2.2oz hex 70 xl im going to try out for me and my dog this winter.

Bushman5 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Stim

Stim Member

Bought a few, made a few. My favorite is my custom Dream Hammock. That thing is super comfy.

4. rab.ii

rab.ii Member

My current setup:
    Black Willow 11' gathered end Multicam SilNylon hammock
    Black Willow bug net
    Whoopie slings on dutch buckles with 5' tree straps with dutch clips
    Self made Lash-It ridgeline held by dutch hardware
    10'x10' Black Willow Multicam SilNylon tarp with dutch pullouts suspended on Lash It with dutch Stinger and tarp hangers
    2QZQ Underquilt Protector, peakbag and ridgeline organizer
    All of it in porch mode and ready for the rain at Turkey Run State Park in Indiana.
    [​IMG]

5. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I wanna see some hammocks in Kryptek camo!

6. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

Hey, you're at Turkey Run right now? Well, I have my night planned....hehehe....

7. Wolfman Zack

Wolfman Zack Member

I switched to using a Grand Trunk Skeeter Beater Pro this year, and it was a life saver with the ferocious mosquitos this summer.

Very comfortable and rugged hammock, I'm sure there are better models, but this one was good for the price, and I really like the built in zippered netting.

8. rgc

rgc Member

By favorite for the trail is by Hummingbird Hammocks. Super light and small. For just kicking it I love my Sheltowee Arch hammock.

DYSPHORIC JOY likes this.
  9. Kylemeister

Kylemeister Member

Pretty happy with the Claytor mosquito hammock. I redid the suspension to use flat webbing with a D-style buckle for easy & quick adjustment. The tarp it comes with has worked well for light rains and only needs to stakes/sticks; I haven't tested it in a monsoon. I do like the sleeve on the bottom, which is great for a blue foam mat for a little insulation, and the mosquito netting stays out of the way when tied up. There is a pocket on the inside for flashlight/phone/Kindle that works nicely.

10. Wolfman Zack

Wolfman Zack Member

I'm using whoopie slings with webbing tree straps on mine, very adjustable set up and fairly compact.
    Highly recommended for any of you who are wondering about suspension systems.

11. ThreeRidges

ThreeRidges Member

Dream Hammock Dangerbird, great rig. Looking to also get a super light Dutch Hexon single layer for kicks. I have all kinds of suspensions, mix and match. It's easy to learn how to splice Amsteel, and you can set up all kinds of options Also do straps and buckles

12. JKPirate08

JKPirate08 Member

Am I the only one who knows so little about hammocks, that I still use the USGI Jungle Hammock?

13. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

NOPE!
    I know almost nothing... That's why I'm hoping for inspiration from this thread :). I would love to see some good setups so I can maybe decide what to buy myself :)

14. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

If you havent already wandered across him...

Shugemery (shug) on you tube. Hes entertaining and goes through a lot of gear reviews and set ups.

15. Stone

Stone Member

First hammock I've ever owned -- after decades with backpacking/mountaineering tents -- is the Warbonnet Blackbird. I like the footbox which allows easier diagonal positioning. Quality is excellent.

I bought it last winter while visiting Florida, but due to travel challenges (still no car) and being busy as hell since then with professional stuff, I've had little time to use it. Have not even spent a full night in it yet; I need either a good closed cell foam pad (air mattress didn't work in it for crap) or preferably an underquilt, but the latter is not in my budget yet. --- Having said that, I like the concept a lot. I spent a LOT of time in Florida on private property owned by friends trying various set ups. It saves half the weight over a traditional tent/sleeping bag system.

Hammock 1.JPG Hammock 2.JPG

KnOeFz likes this.
  16. 91bravo

91bravo Guest

I hear the Warbonnet is the Cadillac of hammocks!

Stone likes this.
  17. Stone

Stone Member

It's definitely one of the top, Bravo. I researched them for a couple of years before investing. I can't say it's the best, because this is the only camping hammock I've ever even laid in, let alone owned. But from what I've read, it's in the top X list.

Wolfman Zack likes this.
  18. Bipolarcockroach

Bipolarcockroach Member

I've also got a Claytor the " jungle" model, and I have stayed bone dry in it during some pretty gnarly thunderstorms. Some people don't like the suspension that it comes with, but I found that once I had set it up a few times it worked fine for me.
    I've looked at other hammocks but I honestly haven't seen anything that I liked better than the one I already have.
    If I have a gripe it's that the diamond tarp only has tie out loops on the four corners. It really would be a lot more versatile to have loops along the sides and on the ridge line, that might be something I mod later on but overall it's a great hammock.
    a

19. erik

erik Member

if the warbonnet blackbid is the caddy -- the Warbonnet XL is the mercedes.

I've gotten good service out of my Trek Lite double and yukon outfitters double with an etowah 10x12 tarp and homebuilt tree straps made from seat belt webbing.

Stone likes this.
  20. Stormstaff

Stormstaff Member

Start here. Awesome, easy to understand explanation of starting out hammock camping. I've probably been doing it for about 6 yrs myself.

Stone and JKPirate08 like this.