The Everything Toyota Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dave41079, Sep 10, 2016.

1. indulf

indulf Member

I need to stage a pic like this.. i have a black yukon and a black 16 T4R trail :)

i'm going to run the yukon until the wheels fall off.. then it'll be another yota of some sort. well, maybe. i might fix the yukon and give it another life and buy myself something fast.

Dave41079 and GaryMc like this.
  2. indulf

indulf Member

here's my prize with her '16 trail.

backstory: i've always been a jeep guy. i have had probably 10 cherokees.. when we were in college together i had a 90 cherokee on 35s. she would borrow it and drive around campus. it always got a lot of attention, and she thought it was funny that people saw her hop out.

eventually she wound up in a minivan. after 180k miles and lots of problems we decided to get rid of it. she wanted another black SUV and she said it had to be 4wd. we had talked about the 4runners previously, and after some trouble finding one we nabbed this.

a couple of months later and she is incredibly happy with it, as are the kids. everyone is glad we aren't in a van any longer. she feels safer, she likes having the ability to hop curbs, and we have already taken it to some fairly remote (yet easy to get to) locations for hiking and camping. it's one of the best vehicle purchases we have ever made.

one last aside.. she's already asking me when i'm going to armor it up :)

[​IMG]

Dave41079, Benson X and GaryMc like this.
  3. JAD

JAD Member

GaryMc & Jeff Randall -- I like the blacked out grills and black wheels they're putting on the newest models. That's a great look on your vehicles, especially so when offset against the white vehicles. My grill came with silver/gray plastic accents and chrome Yota logo. I either painted or replaced the offending parts to get the blacked out front end on mine.

[​IMG]

This closeup shows the aftermarket front bumper and the replacement skids that are 3/16 plate steel (not the stamped sheet metal that they call protective).

[​IMG]

The factory plastic.

[​IMG]

This is from underneath when it was on a lift in the shop.

[​IMG]

If you compare this picture when it was newly installed to the second picture from the top, you'll see the amount of scraping, skid marks, and rust accumulated from just a couple of off-road trips. It definitely serves its purpose.

GaryMc likes this.
  4. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

@indulf 2 best vehicles I've ever owned, suspect you feel the same. My Tahoe would probably run forever, best engine ever made to me is that 5.3 Vortec, never an issue.

5. Benson X

Benson X Member

Nice Dave! Here's a few old and new ones of my 2011.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    DSC_00675.jpg
    DSC_00956.jpg
    DSC_01362.jpg
    DSC_06481.jpg
    Sand_Lake_12_3_.jpg
    12715407_1045301332160044_7655764584720771669_n.jpg
    860_631664886857026_1145748439_n.jpg
    DSC_01055.jpg

6. ppfd

ppfd Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg

My 09 TRD 6spd speedway blue, at the Big Muskie bucket/miners memorial park last week

Good chance it'll be traded in for another f 150 this week. Been a decent truck, ready for a FS again

GaryMc likes this.
  7. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

Awesome pics. I want a topper like that on my next Tacoma. I waited too long to do it with this one. The paint is fubar now and would likely look goofy because the topper would be white vs the dull paint on my truck.

Benson X and GaryMc like this.
  8. Benson X

Benson X Member

A Canopy was the first thing I purchased when I got the truck, then I made some mounts to keep my gear organized:
    [​IMG]

Dave41079, McKROB and GaryMc like this.
  9. Benson X

Benson X Member

Nice - I really dig those decals Gary!

Who do I gotta screw to get one of those Izula stickers?!?! :D

That looks clean JD - the front winch mount/bash plate is awesome! I used to have an aluminum "hidden winch mount" that I made with my Uncle-In-Law (he is a welding badass) before I swapped to the ARB. I still miss it (mainly the weight savings), but I gave it to my Dad to put on his Tacoma. We also made a beefy set of sliders, at the same time as the winch mount, that we welded to the frame; they have saved my ass more than once, just like the winch.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GaryMc likes this.
  10. GaryMc

GaryMc Member

@Benson X LOL, You been around long enough to know that standard answer!!!!! PM Expat

Benson X likes this.
  11. Benson X

Benson X Member

LOL, touché sir!

I PM'd him through the old forum (that function still works over there, just FYI ;))

GaryMc likes this.
  12. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

Nice. First thing I did was Linex bedliner.

GaryMc likes this.
  13. Dave41079

Dave41079 Member

@JAD I have some RCI skids too. Really happy with them.

@Benson X glad you finally showed up!

GaryMc likes this.
  14. Mudman

Mudman Member

I haven't seen too many out here color wise. But the few I've seen I really liked. I felt that way about the olive (?) gree, blue, and yellow FJ's. Didn't like any of them in photos, but loved them in person.

Something that continually catches my attention, are the new tail gates on the 3rd gen Tacomas. Don't know why, but I love the design, sort of wished it would fit my 2nd gen.

GaryMc likes this.
  15. JAD

JAD Member

Benson -- I really like the integrated winch on your rig. It's nice to drive your vehicle and keep it somewhat understated. When my license plate is on most people wouldn't know the winch is even there.

Dave -- You are right. RCI is very good stuff.

GaryMc and Benson X like this.
  16. cosmophonic12

cosmophonic12 Member

1976 FJ fully restored

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heading out to Glamis, CA

[​IMG]

Yavapai County

[​IMG]

Another Glamis run

[​IMG]

Sedona, AZ overlooking uptown

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. rickdarris2004

rickdarris2004 Member

Love reading through these threads. I have been looking hard at the new Tacoma. I have been wanting a small truck for awhile, and everything keeps circling back to that. Its going to be that or a 4Runner. Just have to talk the wife into it :). Keep on posting pictures and I will keep on drooling

GaryMc likes this.
  18. artigas

artigas Member

This is a great thread. About a year and a half ago I got the bug for a 4Runner. I liked the idea of body on frame, and reliability is hard to beat. I had one as a rental for work over a couple of weeks, and it was very practical. We had 2 sedans when we got married 4.5 yrs ago, and we've had been driving those until a fender-bender was enough to total my wife's car. I was wanting to get a 4x4 before this winter, and her little accident was just what we needed haha.

So we bought a '16 SR5 Premium back in June. I would have loved the Trail or TRD, but we really wanted the 3rd row option, so that ruled those out. We've been really happy with the purchase.

It's not a race car by any means, and it's not a torque-monster either, but it's built incredibly well for its intended purposes. It'll get you wherever you want to go, has great off-roading features, it can be modified extensively, has the right torque in 4 wheel drive, and it will start every time you turn the key.

I'd like to throw a 2-3" lift on it, better tires, a Gobi rack, RCI rock sliders, and a few other things, but that probably won't happen for at least a year. The 4Runner forum puts crazy ideas into one's head, much like this forum has done in many other areas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kyhunt and GaryMc like this.
  19. Mudman

Mudman Member

4Runner was what I originally went after, but didn't qualify. Ended up with a Taco- which I don't regret at all. Both excellent vehicles, and way more capable bone stock than people often think.

GaryMc likes this.
  20. tangomike3

tangomike3 Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Need more FJs.