Transponders for tracking & rescue

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Stone, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Stone

Stone Member

I'm glad you posted the other information above for those who seek it.
    This thread will hopefully become a clearing house for the currently available technology.

But for me, the PLB seems the way to go.
    When I go to Newfoundland, Labrador or Baffin
    or other spots Nunavut, I'll upgrade. ;)

2. Montanan

Montanan Member

Late to the party but +1 on the PLB. I have an ACR PLB, and it's the way to go IMO and for what I need it for.

Stone likes this.
  3. Stone

Stone Member

Always better late than never, Montanan -- besides, this is a fairly extended party.

ACR PBL: there appear to be two models right now: bouyant and ... not. Is yours one of these?

https://www.acrartex.com/products/c...or-beacons/resqlinkplus/#sthash.bxG3RABO.dpbs

I'm guessing bouyant is a few more bucks, but I'm also thinking it's worth it. I hope to do some canoe/kayak stuff, and it's really wet in places up here -- lakes and marshes galore. (I read somewhere that 10% of Maine is lake surface.)

4. Montanan

Montanan Member

Yup! That's the exact one I have. The boyant one. I ended up grabbing it during some sale that ACR was having and the Boyant one ended up being cheaper. I was hesitant to get the buoyant one because it looked like it was bigger than the other... but it's still really really small. Which is awesome, hardly notice it in the pack, but it's great to have that kind of piece of mind.

5. Montanan

Montanan Member

6. Stone

Stone Member

Thanks for that additional input. I wondered about the size, which is important for me, too, but relative.

I can't touch this financially right now. It's high on my list, but it's gonna be a couple of months at least before I've got that kind of cash to put down on one of these. I'm just doing my homework early. :)