Alone Season 3 - Patagonia

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AddictedToSteel, Nov 16, 2016.

1. longbow2240

longbow2240 Member

Same as saying a prayer or blessing before eating a meal. A person is just being thankful for what nature and the land has to provide.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    Spikebot587 likes this.
  2. longbow2240

longbow2240 Member

Double post.

3. olderguy

olderguy Member

She became one with the trout-hence the essence !!!

4. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

I get that. It is just that they are thanking the animal they just killed like the animal had a choice and chose to sacrifice its life so that the person could have a meal. The eating of the animal isn't even to save their lives it is just to keep from getting hungry. The animal didn't volunteer for death. If I was the animal and could understand what was happening, I would view the thank you as being mocked not as heart felt. If they really feel like the animal is worthy of their gratitude then they should not have killed it in the first place.

I still think that if the animals are there for our food, which they are, then the one to thank is the One who provided the animal and that is the Creator. So it is not the sense of gratitude or the expression of that gratitude it is who they are thanking. Thanking the animal is misplaced gratitude.

5. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I'm all with ATS' vibe of not worshipping the creation over the Creator, but I want to bring something else up that seems to be a common deficiency to me in all 3 seasons (so far at least): Shelter.

It would makes sense to me that if you are planning on being there for 2 months or more (and realistically, you probably need to be there for 2 months to have a viable shot at winning), why not create a more permanent shelter the first few days? Like a log cabin or something along those lines. I get that energy is an issue but it wouldn't have to be pretty, just very sturdy and large. Imagine if someone in the first 2 seasons had spent days cutting down trees and building a 10' x 10' cabin 7 feet high? You could have a nice bed, you could work inside in the rain (they waste HUGE amounts of time not being able to accomplish something when it rains, since it rains so much), dry clothes, cook, have a fire, have a better defensive structure, create a more permanent mindset, etc.

For example, I saw last night as they were walking around, there were literally tons of rocks about 1' across. Yeah, they're heavy. Yeah, you'll expend calories, but if you could spend a week moving those so that you had a floor and a wall of rocks maybe 3 feet high, you could build an incredibly sound, windproof (sounds like wind will be an enemy in Patagonia) structure where you could stand up, walk around, exercise, work, etc.

This would have the added benefit of getting you through the first week mentally (there is undoubtedly a mental hurdle to overcome in the initial days) by giving yourself such an important task. The calories seem to be there in Patagonia if the fishing last night is indicative. Especially if you can get some of the other fauna around (boar, etc).

I just look at a guy making a lean to or teepee and using a tarp and expecting to stay for 2 or 3 months in something like that on muddy ground and think, "Now why is that acceptable?" Seems a short-sighted mentality to me. Maybe while you're building your cabin but other than that, I just don't get it. If you have a saw, axe and calories, (you've already got the time), just make a permanent shelter.

Spikebot587, JAD, Josip and 1 other person like this.
  6. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

I just finished a video on you tube that had a very primitive debris shelter to start and he then worked more on a day shelter and used that to extend his useful day. It was only for a week and he had time on day three or so to make it happen.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  7. wilas101

wilas101 Member

8. wilas101

wilas101 Member

I've only seen season 1 so far but I had a similar feeling. If you could gut out a killer shelter you might find everything else just a tad bit easier to deal with. /shrug

9. longbow2240

longbow2240 Member

My apologies ATS. I didn't mean any offense to that. Sometimes it takes another persons point of view to look at things differently. I get what your saying and I agree with you.

10. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

Sorry if it sounded like I was offended. I have family that does that sort of thing and they are teaching their kids the same sort of "thank the animal" stuff.
    I would think that unless they are really successful in their food gathering, they will probably never have as many extra calories to burn as on day one. After a while they will be burning body fat at a good rate. I don't know if they feed them before dropping them off, but if they did I would try to eat at least a half dozen eggs, toast with lots of butter and a couple of pounds of bacon. I want a Thanksgiving level of a full stomach when I get off the boat or helicopter. lol

Strigidae likes this.
  11. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

I agree with you that gratitude is important it is just the target of that gratitude. Since I believe in a Creator God, that is who I believe is due the gratitude. I am not sure who to thank if one does not believe in God.

And I am sorry if I came across as offended by you. We have not had a lot of contact with each other, but what I remember is that you are a good guy and I would not want to be a jerk to you. I have been known to split hairs and sometimes it comes out wrong.

12. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

And yet Alan wins season one living under a tarp stretched over a downed tree creating a shelter that resembles a burrow more than a home, unless you are gopher.

On the first show of season three, one of the guys was climbing to the top of a steep hill looking for flat ground away from the water. What about dropping some trees on the side of the hill and building a platform to live on a few feet off the beach. Since there isn't a real tide on inland lakes, I don't know how much they have to fear flooding.

13. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Since its as much of a mental game as a physical one. Do you think an advanced shelter would help them weather the storm between their ears better and therefor survive longer? Create a familiarity and level of comfort that soothes.

14. FeralGentleman

FeralGentleman Member

Pretty clear the gentleman in the middle of the adoption process would be tapping out early. Not even sure why he applied while in the middle of something like that.

Good show, will be fun to watch how each contestant sources shelter, water, food, and passes the time and boredom.

15. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

Yeah, totally. Suffering is a mental thing but there is no denying that physical suffering has an impact on the level of mental suffering.

Think about it this way: if you had a nice cabin to get into, you could work on all kinds of projects or actually sit and enjoy watching the rain.

Delkancott and Strigidae like this.
  16. Dave41079

Dave41079 Member

Definitely. Every season I've always told my wife the best thing to do would be day one to make a temporary shelter, and then the next day scout a location for a permanent shelter. Build that permanent shelter while you still have plenty of energy and strength/body mass. I'd almost make "emergency rations" one of my 10 items just for this situation. By a permanent shelter, I mean something with walls, ceiling, insulation, bed, fireplace, and enough room to stand and move around inside.

This would have a tremendous positive impact on mental health by giving you a place to call "home" and shelter you from the elements. It's also going to conserve energy in the long run if you have somewhere you can be warm, sleep well, and be completely removed from the elements. It also provides a place to cook, store food, keep your belongings so they don't get lost, etc. I really thought Vancouver island was the place for this because of all the useful crap that washed up on their shores. That shipping cube for instance the guy made a boat from would have made excellent roofing material or walls.

I wonder if there is some rule limiting how well-built their structure can be.

mtngoat likes this.
  17. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

Kind of funny how they seem to focus in their introductions on the source of their biggest problem, namely their loved ones and friends. They talk about how they support them and how much they love them. I am all in favor of those things, but as Expat pointed out it is a mental game and that very support structure they have at home will not be there and will pull on them to get them to tap and go home. A loner who lives on the edges of society and doesn't have much in the way of social interaction might have a better chance of holding out against the mental pressures of being "Alone".

This location on inland lakes where few if any people live or visit will greatly reduce their beach combing success. To really build without nails or screws, you would need some type of cordage or wire to build. We have seen a few videos where plastic water or soda pop bottles can be used to make "cordage" that can be used in place of rope or line. Those bottles will probably not be there in any where close to the quantity they would be on the ocean.

Josip and Dave41079 like this.
  18. theJman

theJman Member

^ This.

I'd be more focused on homesteading than camping. Anyone can endure hardship for a period of time, but eventually it will break you. Comfort and familiarity have huge value, especially when the weather takes its inevitable turn for the worse.

19. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

I really enjoy this show. The only issue I have is that it is on the same night of the week that I play hockey. Oh well.
    Julia and myself were watching the episode before the real deal that was a boot camp episode. Sitting there watching it and I say "that's Bear Mtn". Next thing happens a caption pops up saying it is Bear Mtn. I was happy that I still remember my terrains. I shat there!

chorpie and Mtnfolk Mike like this.
  20. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

Do you remember Lucas from season one? He had a nice shelter and then decided to move down cl0ser to the water since that was where all of his food was coming from. For the new shelter he took the time to plan and build a yurt with a fireplace. I think he also put in a raise platform for his bed. When he ran out of projects he made a lute, sang a song and tapped out so he would not have to be by himself with himself and his thoughts. All the activity and projects were to keep him busy so he would not have time to just think. He had some great skills.