New forum GAW

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dave41079, Sep 9, 2016.

1. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

Well, it looks like it will be the end of October before I get out for an overnighter, but regardless I'll post up a thread.

Strigidae and Dave41079 like this.
  2. Dave41079

Dave41079 Member

The contest is extended until the Monday after Thanksgiving to give everyone plenty of time to get out and have a shot at this. There are now also multiple items for the giveaway, so there will be more than one winner.

R Stowe and Strigidae like this.
  3. Stim

Stim Member

You mean someone has a chance to win your old g-string undies? I'M IN!

DSD likes this.
  4. Dave41079

Dave41079 Member

DSD and Stim like this.
  5. R Stowe

Nice. I'll definitely be getting out next weekend for at least one night, and the weekend after that for at least one night.

Dave41079 likes this.
  6. Dave41079

Dave41079 Member

We're still slim on entries here. Does anyone here actually get out and use their equipment? ;)

Strigidae likes this.
  7. 91bravo

91bravo Guest

We got out and did a trip a few weeks ago! We'll do another one this weekend, but we always post up in the Adventures section.

Dave41079 likes this.
  8. Dave41079

Dave41079 Member

Better put it here if you want to enter. If you didn't document it, you didn't do it. ;)

9. 91bravo

91bravo Guest

1. You can only use a Nessmuk trio (folding knife, fixed blade, and hatchet/small axe).
    2. Build a shelter. Must be documented.
    3. Build a primitive fire of your choice. Must be documented.
    4. Build a camp implement of your choice. Must be documented.
    5. Be honorable.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Not a primitive shelter, but we did put one up!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Built a stone bench
    [​IMG]

5. We helped this little frog onto a rock away from the trail so he wouldn't get squashed! It was the honorable thing to do!
    [​IMG]

Benson X and Dave41079 like this.
  10. R Stowe

I haven't posted it up but I went out with some buddies last weekend and we built a heck of a shelter. Its not quite done but it's getting there. I stuck with the trio, but no bow drill success and my char cloth was damp. I ended up starting it with a ferro rod. I'm hoping to get out this weekend as well and have better luck.

Dave41079 likes this.
  11. R Stowe

Okay it's about time I posted this up. A few weeks ago two of my best friends and I went out to some family property and started a pretty decent lean to. We have some more plans for it I won't divulge and I'm hoping to get out again before the end of the challenge but I'll still post this up.

So I carried my gear in a canvas pack a buddy sewed up out of old canvas tarps a few years ago. He modeled it after a Frost River Geologist pack, but it's a bit bigger. I also pack my Finnish gas mask bag so that I would have something to pack if left camp. This was the first overnighter with the Ruger 10/22 TD, but the full on leaf cover and the super dry leaves on the ground made it tough to stalk any tree rats.

[​IMG]

We pretty much dropped our packs and got to work gathering saplings. Fortunately this area has an abundance and we were able to be picky in our construction materials.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We decided to lash front and back support poles and then build a debris wall on the uphill side. The space between the roof and the ground at the back edge will eventually be stacked with rocks.

After we got a solid roof put together we threw some leaves and some of the branches from the saplings we cut down. We plan to keep adding leaf litter and eventually adding some moss to the top as well. This pic is out of order but it's the best shot of the roof.

[​IMG]

We have some plans for the high end of the shelter but for the time being this works fine. Josh put together an awesome stone reflector for us.

I got to work on the bow drill but without any luck and then switched to flint and steel but my char cloth was old and had drawn moisture. I eventually went with the ferro rod and got a fire going for dinner. We didn't get any shots of dinner but we had the Mountain House Rice and Beans and then some cowboy coffee.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's my cutting tools for the trip. My Gransfors Bruks Wildlife Hatchet, the Sargent M1 Primitive, and a Wenger Cascade SAK were my cutting tools for the trip. I carved out this spoon as the fire died down.

[​IMG]

The next morning we had a quick fire to warm up some coffee and oatmeal and packed up for the hike out. We'll be back soon to finish the construction and we plan to make a lot of return trips this winter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  12. Dave41079

Dave41079 Member

Excellent work, looks like a great start to a base camp.

R Stowe likes this.
  13. R Stowe

Thanks Dave. With any luck I'll get out for another trip before the deadline. We'll be heading back out to this shelter a lot this winter. Just wait until you see our plans for it.

14. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

Awesome report. Every free evening of mine has been filled with coaching basketball or shooting but plan to camp at least one night next week. Just got in from some AR work a few minutes ago. Have you looked at the moon?

Dave41079 likes this.
  15. R Stowe

Best of luck getting out. I'm not sure when but I want to get out at least one more night before Thanksgiving. Yeah, the moon is crazy here. The smoke from the Kentucky fires has had our skies looking dramatic since last night.

Dave41079 likes this.
  16. DYSPHORIC JOY

Unless the floods come, will not get an entry on time. Will still post pics of the site when complete. We did a few good hikes but did not do any fire building last week.

17. Dave41079

Dave41079 Member

Fire building became a little taboo anyways, so I'm not super concerned about that. Looks like we only had two entries, so I formally declare...THEY BOTH WIN. @R Stowe and @Strigidae PM me your addresses and I'll get your prizes out to you this week. Congratulations guys, you both earned it. I really expected more entries, and I'm honestly a little disappointed at the turn out. At least we got great quality, even if we didn't have quantity.

C99c and Strigidae like this.
  18. R Stowe

Thanks @Dave41079

I'm in the same boat as @DYSPHORIC JOY

There's just nowhere remotely close to get out and have a fire. Hopefully the rains come and the bans are lifted soon.

Strigidae and Dave41079 like this.
  19. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Thank you sir.

Dave41079 likes this.
  20. DYSPHORIC JOY

[​IMG]

Sorry brother. Will do better next time.

Dave41079 likes this.