Question for you Dirtbike guys

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bcamos, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

My step-mom has a God-son that she's raised from an infant. He's basically my little brother, since we're the only family he's ever really known.

He's 15 now and we decided to get him something awesome this year for Christmas. yesterday I picked up a well maintained Yamaha TTR 230 for him. He's about my height but he's skinny as a damn rail. The bike is a lot more powerful than I figured, for a trail bike. It's got some good torque and absolutely rips in a straight line. So for me, it's the perfect fun bike.

For a 15 year old that has minimum experience (never been on anything bigger than an 85) I'm now worried that it's going to be too much. Is there any way to limit the throttle on these bikes? I only see idle and cable adjustment but nothing to adjust the other end of the cable pull. My kid's little Honda 50 has a screw on the throttle itself that can adjust as a rotational stop. I'd like to give him 50% rotation until he gets used to the power and suspension reaction of the bigger bike. Any thoughts?

2. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

I am not mechanically able to assist but I think your line of thought is correct. The jump from an 85cc bike to a TTR is pretty significant and apt to get him into trouble. I remember being 16 and getting my first registered bike (Honda 250) and the absolute first thought was, after this will get me laid, to see what happens when I wound it all the way on.... :D

I have no doubt you have already included a good brain bucket and other protective gear in the package, but it is worth repeating.

3. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

It was the first requirement that I brought to the table when my mom wanted me to start looking for a bike for him. I required a $300 budget to get him a gift card to the local motor-sports shop. I'll take him there and help him pick out a helmet, riding boots and good gloves.

A lot of kids look at PPE as dumb or goofy. But I'm drilling it into this kids head. After I went down on my R6, I could never be happier that I was wearing a helmet, leather gloves and a good riding jacket. Saved me from a lot of pain, minus the broken bones.

4. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

Just make sure he wears the gear and he will acclimate.

5. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

I figured you would have it covered.. ;) Young men don't get the protective gear and yes I like riding trails without a helmet, these days I feel naked doing so. When I take the Zombie Express out (XT600 I set up for getting into my hunting areas) I don't wear full off road gear but I do wear a lightweight helmet, eye protection and gloves.

6. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Make sure to get him one of those chest/spine protectors too. Check revzilla they may have something for what you're looking for.

7. Nowhere

Nowhere Member

Sounds like you've got the right idea for protective gear. A helmet saved my life in an ATV accident and from what would undoubtedly been severe injury in a motorcycle crash. I'll putter around the backyard without one, but that's about it.

I don't think bikes that size have travel limiters, but if you felt it necessary to soften the throttle response, you could probably restrict the intake with some creative engineering. Left that way for a long time it would probably foul the plug(s), but it would bog down the top end nicely.

8. DirtySouth

DirtySouth Member

As long as he has the proper gear, he will figure out how to control the throttle. The TTR230 should be about perfect for a 15 year old, being a 4 stroke, it is a lot more manageable than a 125 two stroke.

9. mil spec

mil spec Member

Sometimes a good open field and a heart to heart talk is all it takes. Find some youtube videos of people crashing a dirt bike. Help him understand the dangers and that you care for his safety. Helmet, gloves, and chest protectors. I've been away from racing over ten years and it still scares the crap out of me thinking of what could have happened.

10. CWB

CWB Member

He'll handle the ttr power just fine. Overall they're really mild and make for one hell of good trail bike. I bet he'll have a grin from ear to ear that you can't remove for nothing.

11. Joelski

Joelski Member

In some ways, perhaps. Starting out is the best way, of course. You get used to a 2 stroke free wheeling when you let off the throttle. I went from 80's to 125's for a couple months and settled into 250's for several years. When 4 strokes came onto the scene, you had 450's running in the 250 class d/t the power to weight and non-existence of any 4 cycle that could run with a 500cc 2 stroke. Luckily, Open class went away and of course the AMA has to do everything the way Kaliforniastan does it so 250's make up one or two bikes on the line now. My first season running a YZ 450F, I can't tell you how many times I almost face planted on the face of a jump, when you'd normally blip the throttle on a 2 stroke, the 4 stroke is nose diving due to flywheel effect. Speaking of, airtime was interesting for the learning curve as well.

I'm hoping Trump does away with CARB and the rest of us can go back to ring dingers. :D There is nothing like the smell of Silkolene R laced 2 stroke exhaust in the morning. :)

12. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

For anyone that's interested, we decided to give it to him early (Something about seeing a 15 year old putt putt around on my kid's CRF50 was kind of sad) and he's been having a blast on it. It's being kept here since they live in a neighborhood and he'd only get into trouble with it there. There was a learning curve, he had to get used to the power and now he's ripping around having a blast. I used the tractor to build him a little jump but he's been a little scared to go over it lol.

mil spec and Delkancott like this.