The Last Kingdom (Netflix)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stone, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Stone

Stone Member

ETA: from downstream a few days, I just learned I can watch Vikings (the TV series on History Channel) on Hulu for a reasonable price, and a free trial month. So, I'm renaming this thread "Vikings & Saxons" to include both shows: The Last Kingdom and Vikings.
    _______

I started watching this on Netflix a few days ago.
    At first, it was intriguing, but cheesy. Then mediocre.

Now, several episodes in -- after the hero yelled,
    "This is justice!" -- I'm hooked.

I'm curious: any one else here watching it?
    Anyone else here into it? Opinions?

Not GoT, but could evolve close to it.

This film has also motivated a study of ancient Britain, focusing on Northumbria,
    and the Vikings: their longships, longhouses, swords, culture, conquests, etc.

This thread could get image and video heavy. Just a heads up.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    Mtnfolk Mike likes this.
  2. Donkey

Donkey Member

Couldnt get on with it...vikings is way more entertaining

3. Stone

Stone Member

Oh, for sure re Vikings, at least what I can tell from trailers and snips. But I can't get Vikings -- HBO, right? -- so I'm stuck with what I can get on Netflix (streaming only; no DVD's -- yes, I'm still in a $ crunch -- hopefully better next year).

It fits well with the broad genre of films that have become my focus: historical fiction, especially medieval or before, but some later (Tudors and Borgias), and up to the American west (Hell on Wheels) and even early 20th century Ireland (Peaky Blinders). Braveheart got me into it; then came Gladiator and Ironclad (the latter is a superb film IMO; involves Danish mercenaries invading England after Magna Carta, fought by a brave group of 7 warriors -- kind of an old English Seven Samurai.). And of course, in the last couple of years, Game of Thrones, the king of all "ancient" (future primitive) films. Nothing can top that for me.

I tend to study the films -- not just watch once, but repeatedly to study acting, story telling, costumes, sets, character development -- (I'm a student of film and video production since I do some professionally, even though mine are non-fiction documentary/training videos, there are still stories to be told.) And films inevitably motivate me to learn stuff about the tools and skills of the time: weapons, ships/boats, dwellings, fighting techniques, etc.

And this one has finally motivated a study of Vikings, something I've wanted to do for decades but never got to it. What a fascinating culture, such diverse goals and motivations (exploration, trade, expansion, pirates, warriors, and which of those they chose depended on who they ran into; they sized every group up and acted accordingly). I'm as hooked on studying them now as I am on watching the film.

As I said in my OP, The Last Kingdom (TLK) started pretty slowly -- definitely B grade -- but as the episodes continued, actors got a bit more comfortable with their roles. Plus some new characters were introduced with stronger actors. It's still not even close to Vikings, let alone GoT, but it's heating up, getting better.

I'll just keep this thread nearby to add more reviews as it progresses. Hopefully, others here have made it in a ways and can offer perspective.

4. Stone

Stone Member

5. Stone

Stone Member

Wow. Watching one of those ^ videos before lunch, I just realized that Rutger Hauer plays a role in this series. He's one of my all time favorite actors. His role of Roy in Bladerunner was amazing.

Mtnfolk Mike likes this.
  6. Nether

Nether Member

The show is pretty good. Far better than The Bastard Executioner, which was embarrassingly bad. Loaded with bad acting, bad writing, bad directing. It's the perfect show for the gore whores, however.

Stone likes this.
  7. Stone

Stone Member

8. Stone

Stone Member

Hey. What's your name?

9. Stone

Stone Member

I mean, you have to admit, there are some similarities in the films, one far in the future, one far in the past.
    ______

Ok, some good news. I learned earlier that I can watch Vikings on Hulu for $9/month that starts with a free months trial. I may start tonight.

So, this thread is officially renamed "Vikings and Saxons". That way, we can include both films, and others.

10. Stone

Stone Member

Enrolled in that Hulu subscription ($7.99/mo with commercials; first month free).

Now watching Season 1, Ep 1 of Vikings. I like it already.

11. Stone

Stone Member

Up to Ep 3. Hooked. Totally hooked.

Except for the commercials. I cover my eyes. They must go.

12. Stone

Stone Member