ESEE Audit-- Need your feedback

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shaneadams90, Jan 23, 2023.

1. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

This time of year always gets me thinking and looking ahead, about the direction of the company, how we handle our customers. I want to hear your feedback and suggestions for ESEE and/or RAT.

This forum has always been our core group, our inner circle, so I wanted to start here.

Where are we getting things wrong or what needs to be improved?
    Be specific and don't worry about hurting feelings. We want to hear from you.

What are we missing?
    What SHOULD we be doing that we aren't?
    Where are we missing the mark?

What are we doing right that we need to MAKE SURE we continue to build on?

.......and.....GO!

Stray Round, C99c, Willow and 5 others like this.
  2. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

I think you guys are pretty skookum brother.

3. shaneadams90

Man we appreciate it but we are genuinely looking for ways to improve.

We are all busy, often in the trenches, so I know what I *think* we are doing but we aren't sure how it translates to our customer base?

As the marketing guy I just want to make sure that what I think we are saying/doing is what our customers are getting from us. Staying true to our roots, what got us here is absolutely vital to us.

4. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Ill make the first cut.

The production delays suck. Love the classes and there should be more and new classes offered. Glad kydex is gone for the most part. Offer more colors or limited edition colors. Group buys are always nice.

5. shaneadams90

This is what I'm needing... and you are right...PRODUCTION SUCKS.... and we keep getting it wrong. We are hoping to do better.

We are workin on some new offerings for classes as we speak. We all felt our offerings were stagnant and could not agree more. Thank you for your honesty.

When production is sorted I hope to have more Group Buy options for sure.

Stray Round, Willow, TerryD and 3 others like this.
  6. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

There was once discussion or traveling/regional classes, I would be curious if that’s still on the table.

no comment on production as I haven’t been buying much gear lately, but thank you for seeking feedback.

7. shaneadams90

Thanks for the response... To be honest, the answer is yes AND No... we've tried remote classes with limited success... at the same time we have traveled all over the SouthEast teaching SAR classes and are becoming known for that in that field.

The hardest part is finding local instructors that espouse the same values and goals as us and the same drive.

After reading what I just answered my best guess is I have no clue... but we are always looking for opportunities.

8. Michael W.

Michael W. Member

One thing I mentioned before is that you guys need to make a candiru in S35VN with a stonewashed finish.

You would sell a ton of them!

9. shaneadams90

Agreed... we like the idea of that blade in S35vn but we've got to get production and delivery working... Thanks again for the feedback.

10. Skip808

Skip808 Member

I’ll throw in something. I’m trying to remember all the times I had these types of thoughts and put them down. I’ll try to not be to rambling.

History wise I came across Esee looking for a knife with a good sheath and if I ever lost the sheath or the sheath broke I could easily buy a new one. Esee 100% hit that mark. So this is what I love about the blades. Please keep this part of the business going. Just ordered a new E4 sheath this weekend.

What was different for me was I don’t do S&R and SERE type activities. I hunt and do a lot of land improvement activities. So if I could suggest anything would be to expand the hunting specific offerings. Think Buck 110 height blades with a JG3 type handle. Fixed blades with 3.5 to 4.5 inches of length. Xancudo and AGK come close but I prefer drop point or clip points. Some of the Camplore knives would also fit this, maybe have some non-leather sheath options retail level. I think these would attract more first time buyers. If they had a plastic option my first blade probably would have been a JG3. I don’t trust horizontal carry so the Armatus options were not what I was looking for.

That’s it for blades. Another thought is more collaborations with other manufacturers. Like some ESEE/HPG/First Spear collaborations like bags and packs. Would be interesting to se what could be thought up. I emailed HPG about a 35-40 L USA made duffel for travel. Maybe that could be the first. Hint-hint.

oh and a USA made Nalgene sized wide mouth bottle made out of single wall stainless. Tried looking for one this weekend with no luck. This could open up Esee to the backpacking crowd more and expand the business lines. Really you guys are there with all the safety gear and FAKs. Just doesn’t seem like backpackers are big ESEE buyers. Not enough stuff sold at REI LOL.

Thank you for the opportunity to let our minds loose a bit. I appreciate your willingness to be so candid.

11. shaneadams90

Greatly appreciate the feedback! We appreciate it.

12. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Honest feedback:

- production delays >>>>> time from knife announcements to getting knives to dealers (esp your northern dealers in Canada) sucks sour lemons.

- retail costs of some of the gear :confused: >> like the full on survival kit. I built an almost identical version for a buddy using very high end brand name gear / kit purchased at Canadian RETAIL prices (very expensive up here ) and I still managed to build it almost identical to the Esee version, for $300 CAD - and you guys are getting that gear at Wholesale! The mark up on your kits and some of the knives is insane.

- nylon mess kit pouches etc. Please stop. IMHO they suck, I throw them out after a few months because the stitching fails or the nylon rips. Please look into using ULTRACOMP and laser cut fabrics. As well as making pouches Molle webbing / belt compatible. Maybe outsource to First Spear or BlueForceGear

- you need more exposure up here , esp among the SAR, FIRE & Rescue , LEO & Military groups . HUGE amount of these folks up here - the big ones out west here are North Shore SAR, Maple Ridge SAR (biggest SAR team in BC), Hope SAR etc

- more advertising up north here - Canada is a massive country, a wee bit bigger than the USA land mass......it's full of mountaineers, outdoors people, hunters, anglers, boaters,prospectors, hikers, campers, 4x4 / over landing, trappers, trackers, etc type people - a massive amount of people that use gear and get or need training.........it's a massive untapped market.....

Not performance related but I'll throw it in....more blade innovations - it takes very little time to draw a blade shape, laser cut the steel and make a few prototypes.

- bigger version of the JG5 - same blade shape , same sculpted scales with a thin coloured liner, sand blade thickness, but with a blade length of 12" - 16" . Almost like a bolo machete but with the JG5 blade shape. Flat leather sheath - not fold over

other than that keep up the good work!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
  13. shaneadams90

Thanks for the Feedback Bushy

The Marsh Gorilla and Bushman5 like this.
  14. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

What you are doing wrong:

It all boils down to the bling which is marketing. Jeff Randall is too modest. He is a legend in emergency service circles due to his problem solving abilities and leadership…you know, where all this survival theory into practice actually matters. Those outside the circle really have no idea what he has accomplished and by proxy, ESEE/RAT. The buschcraftin’ stuff is good but is no longer unique. RAT is the real deal and should be emphasized more than being relegated to whittling a stick.

What you are doing right:

Leadership ethos and solid training. Again though, not that many folks grasp the training provided that occurs outside the published curriculum.

In summary, more visibility of the fundamental underpinnings of the company. Probably should improve production capabilities in there somewhere.

The End.

Bcamos, Stray Round, C99c and 5 others like this.
  15. shaneadams90

Bushman5 likes this.
  16. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@shaneadams90

Good:
    I have not found an outdoors / camping task a fixed blade ESEE could not handle. I have used a ESEE 5 all the way down to a Izula at camp and not NEEDED to go elsewhere..

BAD:…I know there are so many factors you guys cannot control… But it feels like there has been a slow down in innovation of ESEE products. While I can appreciate New scales, New Sheaths, New blade colors and even steel… I would love to see some new Designs or Radical changes to old models to get me excited to buy more ESEE knives.
    For example the Pinhoti that’s got me excited to buy another ESEE knife. That’s the type of innovation and new products I would like to see.

What I want:

1. New models/types or radical changes to current ESEE models

2. A Longer East coast based Survival/ bushcraft class. I would love to see maybe a 5 day class based in the Carolina’s or Tennessee (Somewhere outside “The Farm” to keep participants from becoming to comfortable) that covered all the way from intro to survival in days 1-2 moving into a more primitive overnight scenario in days 4-5 .

17. Not Sure

Not Sure Member

Just A thought,
    Do a limited release of Skull Logo Knives, 1 of 1000 kind of thing.
    People like to collect and I think it would sell well, maybe Izula 2's, it would be a slam dunk
    and everybody could get in on it.
    Skull Logo Knives are hot right now.......

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  18. Scablands Scavenger

Scablands Scavenger Member

I am a fairly new ESEE owner. Joined here not too long ago so I don't know that I have a ton to offer but will give feedback from what I see. Got a touch of insomnia and allergy meds so hope I make sense ha ha.

What are you missing: Popular items out of stock. New models and refresh on older models (steel type, variations, special editions etc) Old hands want new toys, new customers like to see "fresh" stuff... just what it seems anyway.

What should you be doing that you aren't: Don't have anything to say on this, don't know the behind the scenes supply, design process etc. And as you and many have said, supply chain issues and production timing is not an instantly resolved issue.

Where are you missing the mark: As mentioned, biggest complaint I see is lack of new designs coming to market and some people having a hard time finding certain models (S35 IZULA for example). Many have said they prefer more steel choices.

What are you doing right that needs to continue: Exactly what you are doing right here for sure, asking feedback from your customers, You have put out some great YT videos in the past letting people see the backstory of designs and process and explaining your philosophy of use.... many new to ESEE brand appreciate this info, (people also love to be part of the story). The color choices available for blades and handles is awesome for custom feeling gear (TKC is great place)
    Products are made well, and to last. US production, OUTSTANDING warranty.

I love the simple useful designs of most of the ESEE knives I have purchased. I love my Gibson axe, CR2.5 (used both today in fact). My ESEE 5 is one mean wrecking machine I plan to survive the apocalypse with, PR4 is great around camp, ESEE 3 rides in my emergency bag. These tools work great for firecraft/fieldcraft/bushcraft whatever. I do carry a few other brand knives in different steels when hunting/fishing that I prefer for wet work or when I know rust will be an issue and design preferences.

I will add a bit more feedback; its free, random and from the interwebs so take if for what its worth.
    I have a small YT channel as a hobby. It is mainly tomahawks, small axes, knives, have been posting for around 12 years, my viewers are pretty vocal and have no issue telling me when something stinks. I have posted 3 ESEE videos in the last year or two, they did fairly well. I will offer up the general consensus/feedback from the viewers.

As the old saying goes: A prophet has no merit in his own city.... so the opposite is true as well.

ESEE Gibson Axe: Posted a year ago, did reasonably well in search results.
    Those who own it seem to love it, very little negative input. A few people expressed wanting a larger one. A few messages regarding availability issues. Several people mentioned watching the interview videos ESEE posted with Mr Gibson and said they enjoyed them/helped them with purchase decision.

ESEE CR2.5, short vid, did ok in search.
    Most comments were good, liking the heavy duty build for its size. Had several people express interest in a stainless model, as many seemed to also want a slightly longer blade.

ESEE IZULA in S35. This did fairly well in search, best view count of the three.
    Many People spoke very highly of the S35 heat treat, edge retention. Many people mentioned the price being fair. A few wanted the IZULA II in S35 as well. Some had mentioned it was hard to find in stock at times. A few people mentioned the standard IZULA handle scales not being good.

I am sure you have heard many of this already, so just adding to the data points.
    That's about it

19. TerryD

TerryD Member

I've missed the Podcasts for the last couple months. I see you just posted a new one though. I glean a lot of info from other's experiences and stories and I really enjoy your interactions with the guests.

I think production issues are the biggest hold up right now though.

Tell JouFuu to share that CR3.0 though......

20. Sean

Sean Member

Exactly!!!!! Great tools!!!

Jtallen83 and shaneadams90 like this.