Subaru wilderness edition.

Discussion in 'Overlanding / Off-Road' started by StephInTheBush, Apr 30, 2022.

1. StephInTheBush

StephInTheBush Member

Has anyone tried this for off-road/ over landing yet?
    Seen a bunch of cool things about this on the internet and not opposed to a decent daily driver/ Adventure capable car.

2. C99c

C99c Member

We have a 2020 Forester in the family and I've spent a long weekend on and offroad in the Wilderness due to running my mouth during a service appointment and a Subaru rep who wanted opinions outside of professional auto journalists.

If your normal use is anything other than seventy percent highway get the normal Forrester. If you are on dirt most of the time or you are an instagram influencer then the Wilderness might be the better buy. The changes to X mode are not noticeable to anyone who knows what they are doing in the dirt and the miniscule lift is more of a negative than a positive if you spend most of your time on pavement.

If you want it get it, but the above is the reality.

Also, I can't promise that a Crosstrek Wilderness is coming but I did tell twenty something Subaru reps/engineers/program heads that if they didn't do Crosstrek Wilderness soon and keep the manual option they were stupid.

Twoody88, DiscoveryLover and Skip808 like this.
  3. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

I've been considering this model as a replacement for my wife's aging Highlander...I've always been a Toyota guy but the Outback as always been on my radar (as has the STI)...

C99c likes this.
  4. C99c

C99c Member

I test drove an STI a few years back and immediately told the salesman no. Like my test drive of the RAM TRX, I realized that there was no way I wouldn't constantly get myself in trouble with it. What an awesome vehicle though. Both of them.

shaneadams90 likes this.
  5. shaneadams90

I would likely have a difficult time keeping myself in check with an STi as well...I do have a desire to do some SCCA time attack, AutoX style racing as well....hopefully that would cure the disease!

StephInTheBush, C99c and Strigidae like this.
  6. StephInTheBush

StephInTheBush Member

I had a WRX hatch in 2012 for a bit. 3 speeding tickets later…. I moved to a wrangler :p

7. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

....and have mostly walked everywhere since ...???? :D :D ;)

StephInTheBush and Jeff Randall like this.
  8. shaneadams90

No danger of speeding tickets there..... I actually showed my wife a 2022 WRX the other day...we went to drive a few Outbacks and the bottom fell out....so we just looked at a few from the inside of the truck...

C99c and Strigidae like this.
  9. StephInTheBush

StephInTheBush Member

Def walked a few places. Also fell victim to the razor blade bandit. I don’t know why he didn’t just undo the Velcro in the back window…. But just to update. I did get the Outback Wilderness.

Lostviking likes this.
  10. Lostviking

Lostviking Member

We have had several Outbacks over the years.
    The Wilderness Edition looks sexy as all get out.

Our last one was a 2020 (I think) Last year they made the 6.
    Outbacks are a very capable car. More so than most might think.

Where they struggle is lack of low range and ground clearance.
    For dirt roads, forest roads and light off road they will impress.
    They crush it in the snow.

Low range would be awesome.

Back when the Subaru Brat came out, my dad bought one.
    I was working at a ski center at the time.

I was chasing firewood and decided to tackle the top of the mountain straight up a double diamond trail.
    I made it 3/4s of they way up. Never spun a tire. Just ran out of power.

I had to back down. I tried it again at a higher rate of speed, same result, only ten feet further up.
    If I had low range or a lower gear, I would have shot up and over.

Their traction is no joke. But they have their limitations.

Good luck with your new ride. post up a photo or two when you get time.

LV,

11. C99c

C99c Member

Drove the new Crosstrek Wilderness. Didn't like it. Buy a used Crosstrek and lift it. Less money and better final product. My friend who "absolutely doesn't work for Subaru corporate" agrees with me.

12. Frigin

Frigin Member

I just got my wife a 23 Impreza because she didn’t want to put miles on her new bronco. That thing get 30mpg and is AWD! It’s nickname is the kid Uber
    With sports and bringing them to school and my wife’s new job it’s nice to not have to drive hers and my power wagon every day.

Lostviking and Bushman5 like this.
  13. rcems2000

rcems2000 Member

I have a 2022 Subaru outback wilderness in geyser blue. It's been a good vehicle so far. Not great with couple issues. The brake light on instrument panel comes on for no reason. I checked braked fluid good to go. O called and spoke with mechanic at Subaru dealership and they advised electric glitch. Also the main control screen locks up some time. I'm going in next couple weeks. It's under warranty.

It's good family vehicle though. We have a toddler and can hall all our stuff. Of course no snow in our part of N.C. after we bought it. I don't overland but I do hunt. I killed three this past year and with increased ground clearance it goes where I need it to. I use a hitch mounted carrier to haul my deer. It's just me loading so I don't have to lift them high. I do get funny looks when hauling my deer. Gas milage is great. Hwy 25 or 26 depending on if we are going to mountains or beach. City milage is about 22 or 23 ish .

C99c likes this.
  14. C99c

C99c Member

Friend now had an Outback Wilderness and a Crosstrek Wilderness in his family. The Outback is great and I do like the Crosstrek W more than the first time I drove one. I like the hybrid better though.

rcems2000 likes this.