ESEE Pinhoti Friction Folder, you probably wouldn't be interested

Discussion in '5Col' started by 5col, Sep 1, 2022.

1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Update for Canadian Esee Forum members......

BLADES CANADA crew in Vancouver BC Canada has verified to me that they WILL be carrying the Pinhoti Folder, they just don't know when yet!

5col likes this.
  2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

you need an RMJ SNUGGLES :D

5col likes this.
  3. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

I like the scandi grind.

5col and shaneadams90 like this.
  4. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

While we’re waiting..to give away our hard earned dollars to a bunch of yahoos that are already rich (ahem. that would be YOU @Jeff Randall ). Might we see some of the pictures done by the r-n-d guys? I’d like to see action usage by that desert dwelling hippie @Caleb O for a starting point. We could discuss and and ask questions about real world application…

5col, Caleb O, Skip808 and 1 other person like this.
  5. C99c

C99c Member

While this is definitely a niche product I like suprises from companies. This is not something I would have guessed that ESEE would have produced given some of the limitations of the design, but I do think it's neat and look forward to more suprises.

Just finished the podcast about the knife. Around 34:45 will be especially interesting to a lot of folks.

5col and Caleb O like this.
  6. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

7. shaneadams90

8. shaneadams90

9. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

I want one of these for scraping ferro rod !!!

Attached Files:

5col likes this.
  10. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Does the Pinhoti come with this?

4CE30037-5C68-44B6-A0EC-5457F62A0704.jpeg

5col likes this.
  11. C99c

C99c Member

In for a fixed version with the flat scales.

5col and Bushman5 like this.
  12. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Blade HQ has this knife at a MSRP of $236 USD / $174 USD retail . That MSRP is almost $300 CAD :confused::(o_O

Is that right? Seems insanely high for a simple friction folder, (no disrespect to the designer intended in any way shape or form.

I'd buy this for $75 -90 USD no problem but having second doubts about buying it after seeing that MSRP :( Even the retail price is insane. At that price point and limited run numbers I'd buy it, not use use it and flip it ten years for $600 plus CAD

80C8F396-7126-44EC-8A4B-A20A2A05574B.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
    5col likes this.
  13. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Most of my best pics already got posted it seems! :D

However, I’ll dump a couple more.

It does all the light woodcraft type work very well in my experience (yes, that does mean light batoning, fire boards and notches; that means soft/light wood with straight grain and the others being quick and shallow work). Pair it with something a bit larger (6HM or hopefully at some point an ESEE Leuku haha) for the breaking down of wet and/or shelter materials, you’d be squared away.

I’d honestly really like it for wilderness trail walks and lightweight backpacking trips. Where the chances that I’m going to need to build a hooch or knock out massive projects are at a minimum. Probably I’d be making lunch, showing a friend or two some skills, maybe making a gear repair, or occasionally doing the odd cutting task as required.

It was definitely a fun knife to use and learn with. Certainly easy to tote around and stow in a variety of places on person and in your kit. 9D8CB2B2-88C8-4766-940F-A39C99DA050D.jpeg 5EA5B58A-441E-486D-B7D4-F899AEB27C9C.jpeg 274A6122-11FE-40EE-8198-9D25EFC5D571.jpeg

5col, Strigidae, Twoody88 and 3 others like this.
  14. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Most of my best pics already got posted it seems! :D

However, I’ll dump a couple more.

It does all the light woodcraft type work very well in my experience (yes, that does mean light batoning, fire boards and notches; that means soft/light wood with straight grain and the others being quick and shallow work). Pair it with something a bit larger (6HM or hopefully at some point an ESEE Leuku haha) for the breaking down of wet and/or shelter materials, you’d be squared away.

I’d honestly really like it for wilderness trail walks and lightweight backpacking trips. Where the chances that I’m going to need to build a hooch or knock out massive projects are at a minimum. Probably I’d be making lunch, showing a friend or two some skills, maybe making a gear repair, or occasionally doing the odd cutting task as required.

It was definitely a fun knife to use and learn with. Certainly easy to tote around and stow in a variety of places on person and in your kit. View attachment 72303 View attachment 72304 View attachment 72305

5col and Strigidae like this.
  15. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Bushman5

I think @shaneadams90 said it would be in the price range of a ESEE 5 or 6…

The price stings a little.. In this instance I’m willing to pay a few extra $$ for a knife I know the company will back.

This may end up as more of knife to fiddle with but I think it will get some good productive use also :)

5col and Bushman5 like this.
  16. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@Caleb O

I am curious how much force is required to keep the blade open ? For example if I was push away from me removing bark from a stick. Do I have to have a “death grip” on the handle or does the motion of the pushing let it pretty well stay open?

Bushman5 likes this.
  17. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I hear you Bro. It's just us Canucks get screwed because of our very very very weak dollar.
    Case in point.... I bought several BFG BooBoo pouches last year. They are $35 in the USA.

By the tine they get shipped, currency exchange rate, shipping plus customs fees, those two pouches cost me $300 CAD

RocketmanDane likes this.
  18. 5col

5col Moderator Staff Member

I think we're going to offer it for $160. With the forum discount, that will put it at $152 out the door for US customers. I'm happy to ship to Canada, and you know our international shipping is cheap, but you're right that you'll get murdered on the crossing-the-border fees.

19. longbow2240

longbow2240 Member

can’t hardly beat that! Just let me know when.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
    shaneadams90 and Bushman5 like this.
  20. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

@Bushman5 I'm sure one of our merican neighbour's would open the box for you and re ship as a gift..

Bushman5 and RocketmanDane like this.