Gear list for vehicle?

Discussion in 'Overlanding / Off-Road' started by NMCoyoteHunter01, Feb 20, 2022.

1. NMCoyoteHunter01

NMCoyoteHunter01 Member

I’m going to start getting some gear for my vehicles. What is the bare minimum?
    Ideas so far:

Medical Kit
    Survival Kit
    Water/Food
    Shovel
    Proper Hydraulic Jack with Base
    Fire Extinguisher
    Tools? Socket set for sure. Not sure what else.
    I’d like to look into some sort of portable air compressor battery hook up or portable battery (ryobi/dewalt) type.
    Portable power would be super useful too (thinking of a Jackery solar setup) but will only be taken when out camping

Datilite and R Stowe like this.
  2. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

I have an old list I will try and did out and post. It does evolve and will vary greatly according ti your AO.

R Stowe likes this.
  3. Andy the Aussie

OK here is my old list (pre-2019) I will add some edits in red

spare belts/filters
    basic tool kit
    spare h/light and d/light globes (all LED now - no spares for the DLs)
    fuzes
    cyalume sticks (red green and blue)
    disposable overalls
    orange safety vest (so as not to get run down changing a tyre, we do't wear 'em shooting here)
    Glock folding shovel
    small axe/large Fiskars axe
    folding bush saw
    tread plates (Maxxtrax now)
    various folding knives and a fixed blade in the back
    cam cream
    water/food for about three days
    Milbag filter/water purification tablets
    thermal blanketx2
    large tarp
    hootchie
    hexi stove and fuel
    small fry pan, steel canteen cup/canteen
    concentrated disinfectant
    basic (to match my skill level) first aid kit plus additional wound dressings
    snatch strap
    3000kg drag chain, hooks and shackles (deleted with the addition of a 12000lb winch)
    Wallaby Jack (on external rack)
    Winching kit for the jack (deleted)
    Wallaby Jack adapter (connects wallaby jack to bullbar or rear bar)
    compressor
    toilet paper, several rolls and single packets (beats the hell out of leaves and sticks)
    matches (in bulk) including waterproof/windproof type
    Para (550) Cord x 50m
    Hootchie Cord x 100m
    cheap nylon 6mm rope 50m
    Couple of torches and spare batteries (now with extra rechargeable batteries and chargers)
    Wet/Antiseptic wipes (for when bathing is out of the question)
    Antiseptic soap
    eye/ear protection
    condoms
    playing cards (a sign of a man who has been up "that" creek without his paddle in the past...!!!)
    M65 Jacket, gloves, balaclava, socks. Belleville boots (M65 only just replaced with a desert smock and a couple of layers of polartec)
    towel
    pillow
    sleeping bag (US modular sleep system complete)
    tubeless repair kit
    100 CDs (now replaced with about 300 albums on USB)
    Duct tape, insulation tape and cloth tape
    a second spare tyre and rim
    telescopic fishing rod and reel plus associated gear
    bush shower bag
    lots of large plastic bags
    unfilled sandbags
    Eagle Becker Patrol Pack
    riggers gloves
    nomex gloves
    insulated beenie
    gortex jacket (British DPM)
    fire extinguisher
    canvas swag
    jumper cables
    Which extension strap (soft shackles/shackles etc)
    tree trunk protector
    chamois (cleaning windows and also makes a useful "towel" for me if I need to pack out)
    candles (both full size and "tea light" kinds)
    army KFS set
    lighters
    zip ties (both normal and reusable)
    black window socks (pull over the upper door frame to create a shade effect, lest you sleep with the windows down without getting attacked by bugs/squitos)
    EPIRB (just ordering a new one)

Since this list was compiled I have added or updated to this. My truck has a dual battery setup with a DC/DC charger and solar input. So if I will need 12v for longer than the second battery can supply I add in a folding solar blanket. Also have a small inverter but have tried to get most of my gear in straight 12v.

4. TerryD

TerryD Member

Andy has a great list for full immersion travel.

What are you going to be doing and how far from help/recovery will you be? Let's start there.

Also, how much of your own mechanic work do you do and what kinds of repairs do you want to be able to do?

Join a vehicle specific forum for your vehicle and learn about common failures and issues and the parts required to fix those, and what the preferred brand for those parts is.

Bushman5 likes this.
  5. NMCoyoteHunter01

NMCoyoteHunter01 Member

One heck of a list thank you. Got some ideas rolling around now.

Bushman5 likes this.
  6. Andy the Aussie

That is my driving around Sydney list !! :D

Strigidae and TerryD like this.
  7. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

I've been reconsidering my kit since swapping out trucks. I had a lot of crap in the old Tacoma taking up space. My camper shell will be here soon and I'll put together a list of what I stock in the new truck.

8. RedEyedHog

RedEyedHog Moderator Staff Member

I had an interesting experience with what should have been a simple 20 minute tire change. When I bought my 4Runner it had aftermarket wheels. So the factory lug wrench was worthless. This also happened about a week after I added a 3” lift to the truck. So the factory jack was worthless.

4 way lug wrench to cover all bases and allows for me to help others that might be in a similar situation that I was in.

6x6 inch piece of square poplar to add some reach to the jack if necessary. Replaced the factory jack with a bottle jack.

Datilite, TerryD and Strigidae like this.
  9. SteveG

SteveG Member

I have a handful of lists… gear is packed in modular fashion so I can add or remove (boxes) as needed. A local trip = just the basics. Anything more than a couple hours from home, means a couple more boxes /kits. A Baja prerun = everything!

The attached photo is a basic load in, minus coffee kit, which goes with us just about everywhere. Not because I can’t go without coffee, but because it’s damn fun to make espressos in the middle of nowhere!

F7F8BE5C-9582-4265-9131-8FBCA8F1BEEF.jpeg

jbs121s and Strigidae like this.
  10. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

No matter what you carry , make sure it's secured in an locked steel jobbox.

if it's visible, accessible , it WILL BE STOLEN

Mind you I live in BC Canada , it's a huge problem up here. Best to wheel with a group and ALWAYS leave someone in camp to watch the tents / gear etc

The Marsh Gorilla and jbs121s like this.
  11. jbs121s

jbs121s Member

Just my opinion, the battery powered compressors are junk. Fine for at home airing up a lawn mower tire but not great for bigger tires.
    Check out Viair compressors. They have all sizes and prices. I carry the RV model when on the road with big trailers. It Hooks straight to the battery terminals. The 12v plug in smaller models are no joke either, they used to be less than $100 bucks and I've literally ran them for 30 and 40 minutes straight airing up back hoe tires.
    Harbor freight makes some similar compressors for less money. I've had friends who use them with no complaints.

Bushman5 likes this.
  12. C99c

C99c Member

I've been using a Milwaukee 18v inflator for a while now. Since I keep an 18v impact and sawzall in the car, it made sense to buy the inflator too, It takes up more space than I would like but otherwise no complaints with it.
    Also, contractor bags should be in every vehicle plus canoes/kayaks and motorcyle side bags. Those and some form of strong tape solve so many problems. We recently had a friend on a small creek kayaking trip get very sick and pretty much ruin every piece of clothes she was wearing. We made her some clothes out of a couple of Buffs, a contractor bag and some tape.