I can't decide.. jg3 3hm

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by Bustedaw11, Feb 12, 2022.

1. Bustedaw11

Bustedaw11 Member

I'm really stuck on this decision.. I'm wanting to get a jg3 or 3hm.. lookin for a edc in a leather sheath. I'm liking the idea of the scandi for edc cutting tasks.. I feel like it'd slip through things a bit cleaner... really diggin the 3hm also though. How to decide?

2. Dagwood

Dagwood Member

Buy both sell the one you don’t want here

3. Zeek

Zeek Member

Listen to this guy... he's a genius.

4. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Or buy both from Amazon and return the one you don't like. It's hard to decide for others because they all fit everyone differently. They both have the same steel but it's whatever fits you best.

5. Bozho

Bozho Member

Please don't buy both and return one, as this makes everything more expensive in general.
    The leather SUCKS, do yourself a favour and get a 3HM with kydex. The leather sheath has retention for the first day, then it's too loose.
    I only have a 3HM and it is the best blade I've had so far, with TKC G10 it is outstanding.

Adventurer, anomad, sv4 and 2 others like this.
  6. CWB

CWB Member

Had both. HM rules. Best knife in the lineup.

sv4 likes this.
  7. Bustedaw11

Bustedaw11 Member

Thanks for the input guys. I'm still on the fence. I think that scandi grind is holding me up. I know one can't choose a knife for another person but it doesn't hurt to discuss with other fellows that are into the same things and same/similar blades.

I dont need a lot of retention on something just carrying around. I'm kinda old school with the liking of simple leather that they can just ride in more so then being stuck in.

I'm wanting to also get a pr4 for sure so maybe I can get that and try out this leather and see how it works for me.

Does anyone edc a jg3 or use one for a lot of daily task like food, boxes etc?

Adventurer and Drew RedBear like this.
  8. erik

erik Member

what size are your hands?
    JG3 has a pretty small handle.
    3HMwould be my choice of the 2.
    OTOH, the AGK is pretty handy as well.

9. Bustedaw11

Bustedaw11 Member

Large size gloves.. the izula ii is as small as I'd like a handle. The izula is my daily carry and has been but I want something to try with just a little more blade. Also any excuse for more sharp objects haha.

Attached Files:

10. Bustedaw11

Bustedaw11 Member

I am an idiot.........

I was talkin rb3 not jg3....... the rb3 is what I'm considering. My lack of sleep is catching up to me bad!

Adventurer and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  11. Bozho

Bozho Member

Still get the 3HM :D
    The RB3's handle looks awesome.

The Marsh Gorilla and sv4 like this.
  12. sv4

sv4 Member

I had a similar dilemma, trying to decide between JG3, RB3 and 3HM recently. Luckily I was able to look at and handle all 3 at the local ESEE distributor, and found the 3HM most comfortable to hold in hand. I left the shop with a 3HM :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
  13. erik

erik Member

the RB3 has a pretty nice handle - but I still prefer the 3HM for comfort.
    The izzy2 is also pretty nice.
    you might also look at the Xancudo -- it's pretty comfy in hand, too.

sv4, Bozho and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  14. sv4

sv4 Member

Yes, I would say the RB3 runs a close second behind the excellent 3HM. The JG3 felt a bit odd, not really sure how to describe it. It's in the thinning down of the handle near the blade. However, all 3 felt much better than the blocky flat handle of the original 3.

Bozho likes this.
  15. Stray Round

Stray Round Member

I use and carry the JG3 a lot and can't come up with a single complaint. It's actually my favorite knife and has the perfect blade shape, in my opinion, for an all-purpose blade. To me the 3's have too much belly that seems wasted space for my use.

As previously said, the leather sheaths suck and are just something to use until your kydex sheath arrives.

The Marsh Gorilla and Bozho like this.
  16. oconnor

oconnor Member

3HM in kydex would be great in a stainless.

sv4 likes this.
  17. bush-haus

bush-haus Member

Hello all! I'm really looking at either the JG3 or the 3HM and still can't decide. This issues I have is that I like the idea of having the area right at the index finger that the Izula has that isn't sharp. both of the JG3 and the 3HM goes right to the edge which scares me just a little.
    Second, I'm trying to just decide on ergos--for all of you that have held or have both, do you find the 3HM or the JG3 to be more comfortable for food prep, small tasks?
    3rd, I'm sold on having a 1/8 blade. My son has an Izula II and I LOVE everything about it, but would really like thinner stock. Thanks!

18. Bozho

Bozho Member

I haven't seen the JG3 in person, but from pictures and videos it seems to be roughly the same size as an Izula 2, maybe a bit more blade? That being said, the 3HM is probably the best all round knife I have had, it just works for everything from EDC to hiking/ camping and cutting all kind of stuff like cardboard, wood, meat, fish and all kind of food products. I wear XL gloves and the handle is just the right size for me, even having a few spare mm here and there, which is kind of a rare thing for smaller knives. The full size handle allows you to use the most of that blade.

19. sv4

sv4 Member

I fully endorse Bozho’s view of the 3HM. The handle is the most comfortable of all the ESEEs that I’ve had the opportunity to try out. I definitely found it more “right” than the JG3.

As for the sharpened edge going right to the “choil” before the handle, I personally found that it works better for slicing and food prep duties than the Izula. It’s not a problem so long as you don’t go around heavy stabbing with it. Even then the micarta has pretty good traction.

Bozho likes this.
  20. erik

erik Member

I've handled a jg3, but I own a 3hm.