Deadfalls, Snares,and Traps

Discussion in 'Survival and Wilderness Skills' started by Caleb O, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

I have a couple I’m playing around with. I’ll try to get some pics later this week if I can make em work. lol

Strigidae likes this.
  2. David Russo

David Russo Member

I'm working on a vertical junglewhip for braining big critters for the Alone tv show.

3. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Taught a few traps at the Rat Desert Survival Class. Talked a lot about location and funneling on top of teaching traps. Here are a few photos. B0BDFB15-C149-4A77-9AEC-EFFCA78BF33E.jpeg F89C38D5-2CC7-4C23-9517-A5684613D0F0.jpeg EB64538C-AC1A-4381-ABD8-D28D35A6E58D.jpeg DE45B7DD-CD62-472B-AEA9-C453D3009F21.jpeg 272D0061-8A50-473E-8F4C-56BD3519FE01.jpeg 4F512899-CBBF-48A1-B6E5-32F5A1E62CA6.jpeg 5C388CB2-1892-4A5E-8BBE-99B40CBE7BA8.jpeg 8E8F14DD-0306-48E8-BB71-026A0F98C051.jpeg

mmbackpacker, junglebum and C99c like this.
  4. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Great photos!

junglebum and Caleb O like this.
  5. Not Sure

Not Sure Member

Not a lot of tricks in my bag. If I have Cordage, Paiute.

upload_2022-2-1_19-36-57.jpeg

upload_2022-2-1_19-41-8.jpeg

No Cordage, Modified Paiute.

DSCF8446 (2).JPG

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
  6. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Trap yield. I spent two weeks at BOSS (in the Utah desert) living primitively in the field; and definitely gained an even better understanding of deadfall traps. Besides fishing, they (deadfalls) were our primary source of protein in the field.

Observations:
    -the Paiute deadfall is a superior trap when it comes to smaller rodents in the squirrel/rat size range. (Get good at making and setting them)
    -location is king. Observer whenever you can. Tracks, droppings, shells from eaten nuts/seeds, the animals themselves. The consistent game getters where in areas that had multiple of these attributes. Along with being in or near “cover” as rodents like to stay out of the reach of birds of prey whenever possible.
    -bait. It doesn’t take a lot, and it helps to tie it to your bait stick. Stuff that isn’t tied tends to wander off without springing the trap. (Old fish parts and other cooked animal proteins tend to work well as bait).
    -funneling makes a difference. Get the rodents deep into the trap and make them take the long way out.
    -make lots. Set lots. If you can manage 25 that’s a good start. (Picture was from one day where 25 traps were set).
    -if new in the area, give it some time. Your smell is on something novel to the environment. It may take a bit for your game to get interested enough to take the bait. Conversely, rubbing your hands in strong smelling local plants or some of what you’re baiting the trap with seems to help.
    -bring Tabasco. Goes a long way....:D;) 17A61597-C1B6-4B66-9F72-E50156B77DD5.jpeg

7. Not Sure

Not Sure Member

@Caleb O , Great post and good info! How were you handling the animals to prevent
    the spread of Disease prior to cooking?
    When I was at Tony Nester's School, we were taught, 30-45 seconds on the fire or
    30-45 mins underwater. I would like to know if that is a Desert Survival standard?

I am Very interested in any other thought's you can share from your trip?

Again, Great Report and Info.

Caleb O and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  8. Not Sure

Not Sure Member

One more Question, how were you taught to keep track of you Traps?
    Pace Count, self made maps is what I have used in the past, but if there is a better
    way I would like to hear about it?

Thanks.

Caleb O and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  9. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

30ish seconds on the fire. (If it looks like the stomach is starting to bloat, get er off) Burning off the fur and any littles hidden there in. Honestly if you come on the trap and you can tell it was set off a while ago. Most flees have already long vacated. But extra caution is generally extra good.

I have no idea about water times, but Tony N is a desert master and been doing it a lot longer than me, so I’ll defer to him on that.

Not Sure and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  10. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Honestly, place and remember. Granted, that’s a bit easier in the southwest. There’s often pretty memorable rocks and outcrops that make relocation easier. Some areas you can go pretty dense with traps too though. An example: 555D5B7C-89F4-45E2-AD1E-B96041E6FACA.jpeg A0F199EF-FDF3-4240-87BF-6B2B1C65E861.jpeg

This overhang was an area we slept in for 4 days during the trip. Near the front (for multiple reasons). It the rear of this overhang, we set a lot of traps (7-10). They were game getters. You’d hear them going off occasionally during the day, but multiple times throughout the night. So definitely don’t be hesitant to set a fair amount of traps in a given area if the sign is there. My best trapping spots generally had 2-3 others very close by.

It makes relocating the ones you have a bit easier, while increasing your odds in a given spot.

11. Not Sure

Not Sure Member

@Caleb O , Great answers and info, Thank You.
    I am always looking for info on the handling of animals in the wild, seems
    to never to get any attention.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  12. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Backyard bushcrafting. :D:confused:

This Paiute deadfall was successful. CF99605E-2A4E-44B6-B8A1-4791CF985F99.jpeg