Comments, Thoughts and randomness that doesn't deserve its own thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RocketmanDane, Sep 8, 2016.

1. anomad

anomad Member

I just re-adjusted my tinfoil hat and thought I would post something. YouTube uses an algorithm to help you find things to watch. I watch the 'tube more than I should. They recently changed the algorithm because I am getting all sorts of weird suggestions. Some of them are total bullshit and some are ok. The whole spectrum. But as we move into an era where artificial intelligence is making more of these kind of decisions it is good to think about. How can I modify my behavior to be less susceptible to machine learning and AI. Or use my behavior that is observant to AI to disrupt it's ability to be helpful to a bad actor.

I don't wear my tinfoil helmet as tight as these guys, but S2 Underground has stuff that makes me think beyond my day to day.

2. Jtallen83

Jtallen83 Member

I watch these guys once in awhile to see what the fads are. They never had much good to say about an ESEE so I was a bit shocked to see the ranking here, they are getting it figured out.

3. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Has anyone else had a hiatal hernia (abdomen)? I've seen I can put ice on it but that isn't helping with the pain and I can't get into the doctor until tomorrow. Any ideas?

4. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I preempt this with saying that “don’t try this at home”

I have heard at least from old timers that are to stubborn to get a hiatal hernia fixed properly..

That you can carefully try to push back in place what ever is “sticking through”. No actual medical evidence to back that up but I have heard it multiple times..

More conservatively I would think ice packs and seeing if positionally you can get any relief.. ( Trying different body positions essentially rolling and stretching in different directions to see what position provides the most relief)

Drew RedBear likes this.
  5. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Does anyone really listen to that advice to not try at home? Lol. It's gone back in but still sore and purple colored where it's at. I find laying on my back helps more so that's where I'll stay. Appreciate the advice Dane.

RocketmanDane likes this.
  6. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Deer season is getting “interesting”…

It’s A long story including Broken Bows, torn muscles.. Etc….

Now I’ve had to borrow and learn to use a Crossbow.

First 4 shots below.. Arrows are a little light for the Bow.. I need to push the weight up above 400 grams likely closer to 425 or 450. From what I understand that weight would about knock a Elk or bigger Dead. SO I should be good for a whitetail.

Good news is that i would likely have a dead deer at 30 yards! (Max clear distance I hunt on)

[​IMG]

SqueeDab, Skip808, Strigidae and 3 others like this.
  7. TerryD

TerryD Member

Rode up on the mountain behind the house. Since it was dry, the gate keeper was pretty clear.

20210928_113625.jpg

It was a beautiful day to be outdoors.

8. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I think my neighbor a few houses down is trying to tell me something :)

He feeds all the local bears and thinks of them as pets…

Yesterday I reminded him that bear season opens in 12 days!

Today he has new sign :)

[​IMG]

TerryD, BigJake, Strigidae and 3 others like this.
  9. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Good for him! Don't be hunting my family!! Lol

RocketmanDane likes this.
  10. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

6 days until Bear season and not a Bear in sight…

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  11. Skip808

Skip808 Member

Oh clamshell packages how do I hate thee, let me count the ways…
    75411FB5-FA13-4EA7-9884-66FCADA0A78C.jpeg
    I should have just used a knife

12. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

EVERY time I go hunting I always shoot at least a few arrows the day before to make sure everything is still working properly.

For the same reason EVERY time I come in from hunting I always shoot a few arrows to make sure I didn't mess anything up in the field.

Came home today and tanked all 5 shots I tried. SO time to re sight my bow before bear season opens on Monday..

TerryD, Skip808, Bozho and 1 other person like this.
  13. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

14. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

I recorded a video but took screenshots to show the stages. Screenshot_20211023-012249_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20211023-011648_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20211023-011446_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20211023-012322_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20211023-011606_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20211023-011520_Gallery.jpg

SqueeDab, Skip808, Strigidae and 5 others like this.
  15. anomad

anomad Member

This weekend I reopened half of an old trail on the property that hadn't been bush hogged in 25-30 years probably. Good tractor time and chainsaw time.

I have so many things that need to be done a trail work project that is more or less just for fun felt like a guilty pleasure. It does add value to the property and will give Ruby and I another loop to walk. Those are good things.

16. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I made it to SMKW on the way to Bushcraft Class 2 weeks ago…

For those who have never been it is EPIC!!!

I had planned to spend about 2 hours… After 4 hours I had barely scratched the surface of what I could see and then had to hit the road.

I would recommend to anyone who is going to make the stop to plan to spend many many hours looking around..

If you don’t have hours and hours to spend… I recommend knowing exactly what you are looking for, even research online.. PLUS they match the price listed on their website. I personally saved about $30 by checking there website before I paid. :)

Skip808 and Drew RedBear like this.
  17. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

18. anomad

anomad Member

I got 190 dollars for 2400 pounds of scrap metal today. I have no idea if that is any good or not? Beats paying to have it removed anyway.
    Does anyone know where I can find a chart that shows prices over time? My google-fu is weak with that. I have looked at base metal price charts as a surrogate. Those are easy to find.

19. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

Best thing is to call a scrap yard local to you. Prices can really fluctuate based on how much you send in and obviously global markets. Prices are decent now from what I’ve told but they are still less than half of what they were 15 years ago.

20. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

A LPVO for my crossbow??
    YES PLEASE!!!

Skip808 likes this.