Worksharp Guided Sharpener....

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Andy the Aussie, Aug 7, 2021.

1. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

.....today's lockdown project was unpacking and toying with the new sharpener.....

After a s#itty s#itty old folder I used to get the hang of it, I threw in the Izzy II for a new edge....

[​IMG]

Quite happy with the outcome (I have a bald forearm to prove it)...

[​IMG]

Started work on a Swamp Rat Custom Shop jobby that needed some work....

[​IMG]

.......apexed the edge at the course setting after some work, will work down the the two grits tomorrow.

My only suggestion so far would be they need to supply something courser than 320 grit for those jobs when you are needing to reprofile and not just redo an existing edge.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
    IW17, Strigidae, Lostviking and 3 others like this.
  2. Emerald_Archer

Emerald_Archer Member

I have one as well and like it alot. I do agree with a courser grit. I did buy an attachment on eBay and I attached sand paper, that seems to work for now. I have read that they are working on more options.

3. TrailEdge

TrailEdge Member

I think it is great for the money... gets the job done fast... compact... easy to use.

4. Andy the Aussie

Finished up both today and they came up well....

[​IMG]

..... had t basically restart the Swamp Rat as just as I was finishing up I dropped it and on the way down (started a grab for it but stopped when common sense kicked in) it hit edge first on a steel bar on the bar stool I use at the bench and then landed pint first on concrete...... :mad::mad::mad: Had to start back and work the ding out of the edge but now both a very sharp.... need to make a sheath up for that Swampy now.

5. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

Is that a customized vex or rodent tail or hairy cary..?? Verrry cool !! How much harder did tbe sr101 feel than 1095 on that ?

6. Lostviking

Lostviking Member

Nice,

That Izzy looks like it could slice its way into another dimension.

7. Andy the Aussie

.... probably a Vex with more handle.....hard to say but it is most probably the only one around. Came from Knob Creek some years ago I think. I need to make a sheath for it now (I have been using and unfitted leather pouch).

The SR101 seemed harder to move but cleaned up more smoothly. I did both at @18degs.

....it is sharp..... I was impressed as it was the second blade I used this thing on.

Strigidae and Twoody88 like this.
  8. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

Almost reminds me of a hybrid tac handle

9. anomad

anomad Member

I wonder if the guide rods on that unit would accept stones from other clamping systems? That is the only product those guys have put out that has made me glance at my credit card. It looks like you achieved very decent results with little practice. But I'm going to go out on a limb and say those weren't the first 3 knives you've ever sharpened... ;)

10. Andy the Aussie

It is well worth the price of admission I think. It is NOT the tool for a big blade but in the small to medium size this one would be hard to beat. I have of course sharpened more than a few cutty things in my life but do not profess to be an expert at it. I am not sure if any other stones would work but I do see there are some aftermarket options and, if history is a guide, Worksharp will come out with more options down the track. I would like to see a courser option (120 or 240 maybe) plus a step between 600 and the hone supplied. Honestly though, that is just for the entertainment value, there is nothing an edge produced by this as it stands could not manage.

Strigidae and anomad like this.