One stick fire with 6HM, and testing out my new HPG Umlindi.

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by R Stowe, Feb 15, 2021.

1. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

I had some hours to kill and wanted to work on a challenge from another forum. I headed to the cedar thickets near the lake and tromped around a bit. This was my second outing with my new Umlindi. I've got everything for an overnight except for my quilt and some food packed up in it and so far it carries incredibly well. I actually picked up a kit bag on the secondary market that should be here later this week. I'm looking forward to using it for fishing and hunting, but also in conjunction with this pack. @shaneadams90 is 100% to blame for these purchases. Just saying.

After tromping around a bit I headed to a spot I've had a small fire before. The deer skull serves as a good marker for finding the spot.

[​IMG]

I cut an 8 ft. section of dead standing cedar with my saw and then got to work batoning and shaving.

[​IMG]

I sped up most of the batoning and curls, or I drank a very strong pot of coffee of camera. You decide.

I like attaching a few small pouches like this at the top of the pack. It makes retrieving small things easy, and it's a simple way to keep coffee, water filter, etc. together without crowding the lid pocket.

[​IMG]

The canteen cup found a spot by the fire and a few minutes later I had a good brew.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I stashed some wood in the branches of a nearby tree for return trips and started to head back towards the truck.

[​IMG]

I spotted this bush and decided to snap a photo. I ID'ed it a few months ago and I'm surprised it still has such vibrant berries. It's an invasive, Heavenly Bamboo, and apparently, the berries have enough cyanide content to be deadly to birds and small mammals.

[​IMG]

2. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

I accept FULL responsibility for this post...

TerryD, R Stowe and Strigidae like this.
  3. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

Ohh that v2 umlindi is nicee !!!

R Stowe likes this.
  4. KnOeFz

KnOeFz Member

that is THE most organised backpack I've ever seen :D

Nice pics!

5. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

Thanks, the Umlindi only has two pockets for organization so it helps to keep the small things divided up.

KnOeFz likes this.
  6. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT Member

Now you just need a pocket for the Umlindi! Shameless plug. PXL_20210411_195039144.jpg PXL_20210316_034345280.jpg

Datilite, R Stowe, IW17 and 1 other person like this.