Randall Made Knives

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Delkancott, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

Who has one and uses it? What is a good all around usage model? Pictures highly encouraged.

2. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I currently have:

Model 25
    Model 24 (Mini-Gambler)
    Model 15 VST

And a thrower. Not sure what model that is--maybe 9?

I've posted pics before. I'll find them and put them up.

In my opinion, having handled most of them over the years, for general camp/hunting work, I would say the Model 5 or 25 is the best. If you are looking for a more tactical or non-woods approach, the Model 1, 14, 15 would be the best. Those typically have double hilts on them so they can be a little awkward for some in the woods--the top hilt can get in the way for carving and stuff sometimes, if people want to put their thumb on the back of the blade.

If you are going to be doing a ton of skinning work and less camp chore work, they have several models that are like the above but with a curved blade. But I've skinned all my deer with my 25 and it's fine.

The Model 5 I just sold to tangomike would be pretty much a perfect all around knife.

http://eseeknives.com/forums/index.php?threads/randall-made-knives-model-5-6.1835/#post-31413

The Marsh Gorilla and Delkancott like this.
  3. McKROB

McKROB Member

Had a few hours to myself in Orlando today and wasn’t far from the Randall Made compound so decided to check it out. Read online that they have a museum on site and thought that in itself might be a reason to go.

07133ECB-A34C-4C24-A570-0D48AA69E4A2.jpeg

A99433B4-56BC-442B-B574-AF5424ECD5B3.jpeg

Unfortunately the museum was closed early yesterday, but still managed to snap a few photos of the showroom where they have all current models on display. No shop tours allowed unfortunately.

Attached Files:

FTG-05, The Marsh Gorilla and STPNWLF like this.
  4. McKROB

McKROB Member

From billet to final product.

52107A54-0F1A-4B76-BB99-D754934A5713.jpeg
    84B0C40B-BBF1-43FB-9BED-5EC5E85F8F41.jpeg
    86F10FF0-C065-48E3-8034-7241873E720A.jpeg
    71A69CA6-5526-4127-8DAB-948150B0E83F.jpeg
    000DFBEE-5E17-4C23-A14C-A534480A6FE1.jpeg
    5DC3CBBB-A1E0-4889-9C5C-BD424223DEB8.jpeg
    6CABD1D5-E84E-42D1-A8D2-DF1489031810.jpeg
    054C0FE2-8736-4955-A256-449B800FE701.jpeg
    4C24E40C-AE8E-4876-8B12-D5682CD0219C.jpeg

I think a Sergeant’s Model 5 and a hollow handled 18-5.5 Attack Survival will be my next Randall purchases, that Alaskan Skinner is pretty nice too...!

Oh, and my current collection consists of:

- Attack 14
    - Trapper 25
    - Woodsman 28

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  5. Expat

Nice! I've been there myself.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

droool......

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  7. Marty W

Marty W Member

I’d love to get one eventually. Maybe I can buy one from Expat when he sells one. He’s posted some on here in the past that were drool worthy!

8. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

I had quite the collection at on time. I had been buying them over the years but around 2004or so they seem to be worth a lot of money and got talked out of most of them. I have two left. A 4" #5 with stag that has been used some and a #28 Woodsmen with the Border Patrol handle.

For a hunter the 26 pathfinder, 25, or 28 would be my pick. For general use the #5 would be great.

Were I carrying a gun and a pack for a living, the #15 airman with a BP handle and silver single hilt would be my pick.

I wish I still had the guardian to wear in my kilt socks.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  9. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

what keeps your socks up then?

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  10. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

IMG_1352.JPG My Herculean calves...or the kilt flashes, likely the latter.

11. Expat

Maybe you would be the man to answer this question: Why is it called the Border Patrol handle? Was that the shape of something used by the BP back in the day? Or did a BP officer design it or what?

12. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

I wanted one of the originals for years. The short answer is it was designed by an ex Border Patrol agent that had one in Vietnam. After he had some made they just started calling the handle by the name. It is a good design.

Here is the long story.

Mr. Fred Capio first became interested in Randall Knives after seeing a fighting model while serving in Southeast Asia in 1966. Being an Air Force officer (Lt.) he was stationed in Korat, Thailand. He belonged to a Tactical Fighter Wing. He served another tour in Vietnam in 1969 and received a Bronze Star for his duties. In all, Mr. Capio served for two full years during the Vietnam conflict. He is now an anti-smuggling agent employed for the Houston District Office for Immigration. Before that, he was a member of the U.S.B.P. for ten years stationed in El Paso, Texas.

Being so pleased with his Randall's, (which were purchased during the war) he decided to have a special design made. It occurred to him that he might be able to commission a limited edition model for the Border Patrol agents (at that time there were about 3000 throughout the U.S.), and started to discuss this idea with several agents and finally conferred with Mr. Richard P. Stanley, who was the Chief Patrol agent for the El Paso area.

After getting the "OK" from his Chief, he contacted Gary Randall in order to have such a model constructed and was invited to visit the shop. The only problem was to select a particular model for the project. At last, he opted for the model #14 "Attack" and asked if some modifications could be incorporated into the handle design and also for the hilt's shape. Pete Hamilton, shop foreman at the time (1979), had a #14 made with an extra heavy 7/8 inch wide full tang with a 440B stainless steel blade.

After completion of the knife Mr. Capio felt that the handle shape and design wasn't comfortable enough for a solid grip, so he and Gary designed a contoured handle which was fitted to the blade. The new handle design felt very good and everyone was pleased with the change. The standard 1/4-inch oblong brass guard was also changed as per Mr. Capio's request and a contoured brass guard was designed.

In order to have the knives properly identified as being a special edition for the U.S.B.P. agents, Mr. Capio suggested that a medallion be inlaid in the handle. Mr. Henry Marmolejo (a custom jeweler) designed a facsimile of the Border Patrol badge. Two choices were offered: brass or 14 kt gold (the latest costing an additional $25.00).

Each blade will be etched with U.S. BORDER PATROL followed by the serial number. All knives will be delivered in handmade cherrywood presentation cases, which were made by fellow agent Mr. Jackie Harris. A total of 350 knives were constructed by the RANDALL company. The original cost for each knife was $125.00, which included the presentation case. All of the knives were made over a one year period. The experimental model was etched with the following: B.P.A. FRED CAPIO U.S.B.P. EXP. #1.

The knife bearing serial number one was made for MR. Fred Capio with the 14 kt. gold medallion (incidentally Mr. CAPIO told me that he is the only agent who decided to have the gold medallion inlaid in his knife).

13. McKROB

McKROB Member

Just placed an order for the following :D

1) Sergeant 5” 17C, options: unsharpened top bevel, brass buttcap, lanyard hole

2) Attack Survival 5.5” 18, options: stainless steel, knurling

3) Alaskan Skinner 11-3.25 17H, options: none

14. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

You will like them in 5 years.

15. the925life

the925life Member

Do they sell knives from their shop/museum in Orlando?

16. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

Very rarely. I have heard of it, but sort of doubt it has happened in years.

17. Expat

Each Spring and Fall they have a sale. (Sometimes it is cancelled, though). The knives available are very limited as they consist primarily of people that never picked up their order. If you’re in Orlando, you can go to wait in line. Everyone else just calls and calls until they get through and then you ask what they have, or ask if they have something you want. They ship within a week or so.

As you can imagine, selection is very limited and they sell out in a few hours.

I have done it before but don’t do it often.

Check out knifetalkforums.com which is the Randall Forum. They have people on their that are authorized dealers as well as actual workers from the shop in Orlando that post.

You can order from other dealers where you can get it in about 6 months to your specifications.

18. deathtakeslast

deathtakeslast Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have 2 model 14’s and a 15 not photoed

19. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

I’ve got several. I use 3-4. I love Randall Made. However, they are not worth the 4 year lead time. There are better options on the market. Again, I love Randall Made, I have Guy Clark’s Song as a ringtone, but they are over rated. The last one I got was almost 5 years and the grind was off. One of my favorite edc fixed blades is the triathlete. I carry a model 1 hog hunting but havent used it. Only hog I’ve killed with a knife was stuck with a laser strike that did the job fine. I also carry a bird and trout forgot the model number. It’s a great all around knife.

Twoody88 likes this.
  20. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

Go to Clinton Knives if you want to speed the process. About 6 months last one I purchased.

FTG-05 likes this.