Comments, Thoughts and randomness that doesn't deserve its own thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RocketmanDane, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

I hope it works out for you. Sounded like the last job was just a headache. Best of luck.

ASH likes this.
  2. JV3

JV3 Member

i have a ka-bar tdi on my gun belt's weak side...i like it a lot and the price is reasonable. i keep it for it's intended purpose only though and don't use it for everyday cutting since the steel isn't that great for it.

C99c and RocketmanDane like this.
  3. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@JV3
    I actually have the TDI Tanto but it has always felt a little funky to handle. If I bought it again I would not get the tanto version.
    That said I like the overall shape but I think the finger hole on the Karambit may be what I really need.

C99c and JV3 like this.
  4. C99c

C99c Member

Some friends just bought a small farm that needs a lot of work. For "house warming" gifts I got them a come along and Hi Lift jack.

He says "we don't have a Jeep".
    She says "we can use those to fix the front fence and straighten up the chicken coop".

I told them that when they divorce that I'm siding with her.

Bluelew, JV3, Delkancott and 6 others like this.
  5. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

...... he may not be a lateral thinker but that man is a REALIST if I ever saw one...!!

JV3, ASH, C99c and 1 other person like this.
  6. C99c

C99c Member

What's the draw to knives with finger holes? They seem popular but I don't understand the desire to be attached to something intended to make contact with another person. Worst case the knife is impaled in the attacker or his clothes/it's skin (animal) and so you risk both injury to the finger, hand or wrist and inability to break contact and create space. Best case it just adds more time and complexity to re-sheathing or getting the knife out the hand quickly.

If it ever comes down to me having to use a knife against an attacker, either human , animal or Australian Mod/hitman, I want it to allow me to create space for other options or to break contact if the fight is already physically involved.

I know some LEOs and Military guys who like the Benchmade SOCP knives because they can keep them in hand while also use that hand for other tasks such as reloading. In training groups and classes the only times I've seen them used has resulted in the users repeatedly "stabbing" themselves in the leg and lower abdomen with the trainer drone and one guy getting a finger broken.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    RocketmanDane and JV3 like this.
  7. Andy the Aussie

.......there are truly some situations that no knife, no weapon or amount of situational awareness that can protect you from..... :D :D Just saying.... ;)

TerryD and C99c like this.
  8. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Im am really trying to figure out if the concept will work for me.
    I like the idea of the extra grip but so far atleast with the trainer blade I got it doesn’t help. I think this is due to the size of the overall knife and me having big hands.
    I’m going to try the mock up with the BM rescue tool and see if it is that much different.
    If nothing else the loop provides a larger “stop” for my hand not to slide off. I think that it being a loop allows for more options then if it were a solid piece of handle that was doing the same function.

C99c likes this.
  9. C99c

C99c Member

I really like Dewalt and want to support them.... but anything I've bought from them the last three years or so that is used heavily (Recip saws, grinders, cordless impacts, etc) have not lasted or have to be sent back for repair way too soon. And then I just end up using old Milwaukee stuff. Maybe the newer Milwaukee stuff would have the same issues? I don't know but it's annoying.

All the smaller (12volt) Dewalt stuff we have gets treated like cap and besides the occasional battery crapping out have held up great.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    JV3 and TerryD like this.
  10. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

I’m not a trade professional but on the farm I haven’t had any issues yet with my Milwaukee battery powered tools, or my Makita ones. Granted they are all brushless varieties and weren’t cheap, but I’m not easy on things either. That said I’ve also had no issues with my dewalt table or compound miter saws. Maybe I’m not using them hard enough. I should get some new blades though.

C99c, ManOfSteel, Zeek and 2 others like this.
  11. Andy the Aussie

I think it is @ManOfSteel that has a wall of Milwaukee 12v tools....

C99c and ManOfSteel like this.
  12. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@C99c

What ever you do, stay away from Ryobi battery powered tools.. I use to have good luck with them but the batteries are cr@p now.. The tools seem to be ok but for example my dad has 10 plus batteries just to get through a project. The quick charge doesn’t last so he has to drop them on for a lengthy charge between uses.. We spent a 1/2 day building a deck and had to stop because all the batteries where used up and still charging. Had to start again the next morning when the batteries where GTG again...

I still use the craftsman 19v and it does as much as I need it to. The tools are ok.. and the batteries last a good amount of time. I am not sure I would use them for day in and out construction or similar thou.

JV3 and C99c like this.
  13. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

more 18 than 12 but I have MOST of what Milwaukee makes, but not all of it. I haven’t had any issues other than some old batteries not liking being dropped from height (20’+) to concrete. My cordless sawzall cut off an 8x22’ section of my house and cut it all up to manageable pieces for the dumpster on 3 batteries and 8 blades.

JV3, C99c, Zeek and 1 other person like this.
  14. TerryD

TerryD Member

I went all Milwaukee recently. The price of entry is high but I think the quality is there.

We use them at work so I know they're tough, that was one of the things that steered me toward them in the first place.

JV3 and C99c like this.
  15. JV3

JV3 Member

i've been using this dewalt 20v recip saw (brushless) for a few months now cutting up firewood...i think in general, brushless should last longer than the same non-brushless model so we'll see how long this holds up.

as a side note, i don't know if it's just our hardwoods or what but i've been replacing my silky big boy 2000 blades several times a year since it seems like they get dull pretty fast. or we're just going through a lot of wood...or both. after factoring the cost i've just been day hiking with this recip saw and cutting wood in advance. with just that one ~$4 blade and two trips i've already cut enough wood for this winter's overnighters.

[​IMG]

16. C99c

C99c Member

I'm not a professional anything, I just have had a side job for the last few years that has caused me to purchase and deal with the breakages. We've had Dewalt tools that have performed great, but maybe 30% have suffered breakages that are clearly due to manufacturing errors and lack of QC checks.
    I have a few Ryobi pieces at home, but they stay there and are only occasionally used.
    We have a mix of both at my main job, but the heavier stuff is all Milwaukee.
    I'm looking at new gas saws, but it's really hard to spend the money on one when lately all I use is battery recip saws for wood around the house and clearing trails.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    JV3 likes this.
  17. TerryD

TerryD Member

I have the Milwaukee 16" Chainsaw and weed-eater. Man they're nice! No more messing with mixing fuel, carburetor issues, the noise, or flooding them trying to get them started. I'm kinda upset I didn't get them sooner than I did.

ASH, JV3 and C99c like this.
  18. IW17

IW17 Member

I use both Milwaukee and dewalt daily at work. I've honestly never seen a problem with either brand, provided the dewalt tools were the made in USA models. Truthfully though neither brand is truly commercial grade. Very little is anymore. Hilti and a few others hold that market and even those are going downhill from ten years ago.

Delkancott, TerryD, Zeek and 2 others like this.
  19. FAL'ER

FAL'ER Member

20. ASH

ASH Member

I made some homemade hot sauce today. I'm thinking about turning it into wing sauce but I'm not sure yet. I used cayennes from the back yard and smoked them first. Then I blended them with some Evan Williams, garlic, salt and a little water to thin it. It has a good flavor and it doesn't seem to be too hot but it's warm.

JV3, TerryD and Drew RedBear like this.