Hammocks

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by RocketmanDane, Oct 4, 2020.

Tags:
  1. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Let’s talk Hammocks!
    What do you have?
    Advice?
    Tips?
    Tricks?
    Stories?

2. ASH

ASH Member

I basically just buy the cheapest most compact hammock that will keep me off the ground. I have a couple grand trunk hammocks that I found on sale and a couple that Walmart had on clearance after Christmas.

TerryD likes this.
  3. TerryD

TerryD Member

I have a Grand Trunk single I really like. I have two Eno double nests and a Yukon Outfitters double as well. The Yukon is outfitted about the best.

I have whoopee slings on the Yukon and run it with a Etowah Outfitters 10 x 12 bushcraft tarp as a cover with it. It works well! I'm looking to get some underquilts for it eventually but recently I've been using my tent more because the kids are usually with me.

4. FAL'ER

FAL'ER Member

Ive got a Blackbird,
    I forget the maufacturer. Its got the footbox offset to one side. I really like it.
    Havent used it since ive been having back problems, so I don't know If I'm still a hammock man.

Warbonnet, thats the manufacturer.

5. JV3

JV3 Member

i really like my dutchware hammock. double layer so i can slip a foam pad in there without it moving during the warmer months when my 0 deg underquilt is way overkill. i use webbing to wrap around the tree to protect it but for the suspension itself i just use an amsteel cordage with a slippery slipknot.

i use dutch's mini titanium carabiners as well closest to the hammock as a water line break.

timdgsr and TerryD like this.
  6. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

I had an eno and then started making my own at different lengths until i found a size i liked. Ended up being a 12' long 70" wide one. The rest of the gear was bought off Jacks R better, Dutchware and Hammock gear.

ASH likes this.
  7. IW17

IW17 Member

I have a Hennessey hammock with the built in mosquito netting and rain fly. It's a solid purchase. Truthfully though I rarely use it.

8. Kylemeister

Kylemeister Member

I bought a couple of jungle hammocks years ago. Bug netting & diamond tarp come with the jungle model. There's a sleeve to put a closed cell foam pad into. I've only used it in the summer, and it keeps the bugs out and I sleep like the dead. I redid the suspension system to use web straps and D-buckles for an easier setup and adjusting the hang.

junglebum and TerryD like this.
  9. Billy van Hulst

Billy van Hulst Member

I have several different hammocks. I like the Hennessey Hammocks best. I like the lay of the hammock. I think we now have 6 of them in the family. We use them mostly fall and winter time frames. I am looking at the Dutchware and a couple of others, but hard to justify when I have not had any issues with what I have.

I am notorious for purchasing the sleep systems in a bag, make the like easy to enjoy.

10. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Currently I have 2 Hammocks.
    One I bought last year a Eno Double I believe in camo ish pattern. Haven’t seen it since Christmas thou..
    The 2nd is a Castaway brand that I don’t know much about.
    I don’t have a whole lot of experience with hammocks but love napping in them.
    I recently acquired a new to me backyard hammock stand. Think medium duty metal frame maybe 8-10 feet long to hang the hammock from. Currently the stand with the Castaway hammock has taken the place of the couch in my front room.
    Slowly teaching the family to like hammocks :)

ASH likes this.
  11. junglebum

junglebum Member

have the same one, over built as heck...that thing survived a 3 week trip that had 2 typhoons some years back.....still looks new after about almost 10 years

12. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I am curios what folks think of the “bridge” hammocks?
    I don’t really need the lay flat feature but it would be nice.
    Not to concerned about the extra weight as I would likely not use where I have to carry it to far.

13. Creaky Bones

Creaky Bones Member

I just spent a couple of nights in my Warbonnet Ridgerunner. Loved it. Easy set up, easy take down. Full bug net, accessory pockets on both sides, double layer. I slid a Klymit sleeping pad in the double layer sleeve and slept like a baby. I’m pretty crippled up with bad hips and a degenerative spine and the lay flat feature helped a ton.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    Eric Kendrick and RocketmanDane like this.