The Scout Rifle

Discussion in 'EXPAT Knives®' started by Expat, Sep 12, 2016.

1. IW17

IW17 Member

This^

2. Lostviking

Lostviking Member

I am far from a ballistics expert.

But I always thought 300 BO was designed as a law enforcement/urban round.

Trying to eliminate pass through. Whether it be through walls or people. Utilizing most of its energy upon initial impact.

Again, take that with a grain of salt. But I have discussed this with many LEOs who seem like this round.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  3. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

For general purpose go for the 308
    You can get cartridge adapters for it to shoot 30 carbine and 32acp making it that much more versatile/all purpose.

4. Lostviking

Lostviking Member

After a very long wait, this should arrive next week.
    [​IMG]

Chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor

The Marsh Gorilla, JV3, C99c and 4 others like this.
  5. Justin Bohnett

Justin Bohnett Member

NICE! Savage?

The Marsh Gorilla and Lostviking like this.
  6. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

Looks more like the Styer

7. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

We got the white collar scout rifle crowd up in here!

I will get one of those one day. Fooled around with one at SHOT. I kinda like it. In a Glock kinda way.

8. Lostviking

Lostviking Member

Ha, Not Hardly!
    My neck is red, and my collar is blue.

I have been lusting after one of these since they first came out. I believe it was '98 or '99.
    Cant even remember.

This gun is a perfect example of a focus driven lifestyle.

It certainly wasn't cheap. In fact it was the most expensive gun I have ever purchased.

I'm 60, no kids, and by default, no grand kids. This wasn't my choice, it was the hand we were dealt. No diapers, no clothes, no birthdays, no sweet sixteen parties, no weddings, no school.

What was my choice about 20 years ago, was to shed what is considered normal.

I canceled my cable bill and gave away my television set. That bill at the time was $72.00/month. That went and still goes into a separate account. 72 x 12 x 20 = $17,280.00

A year later, I canned my personal cell phone.
    I had to pay Verizon $102.00 for early termination. That bill at the time was $87.00
    $87.00 x 12 x 19 = $19,836.00

I haven't bought a TV or Cell Phone in over 20 years. I don't have Sirius Radio, I don't smoke, I don't go to bars, I don't buy my lunch out.

I sold a house that was too big for us along with a business in 2010. I bought a house and some property in the northern Adirondacks for roughly one fifth of what those two sold for. A whopping 980 square feet on a gem of a piece of property in the middle of nowhere.

Even more important was the reduction in taxes.
    My combined property and school taxes dropped from $23,000.00 to $1,600.00. They did climb to $1,850 0ver time. But still way better than $23,000.00.

Insurance on a 980 sqft home is considerably cheaper than on an 1,800 sqft home. So is maintenance and utilities.

I bought a Leupold Scout Scope for this gun 10 years ago along with the Leupold Quick Release Rings.

I will order a Ching Sling for it this week. The rifle was $1,400 and high change. the glass, I believe was around three (ish), the sling will run close to $100.00.

Let's say, it cost me two grand for easy math.
    2000 / $72 = 27.77. So in theory, this rifle was paid for 28 months after I jettisoned my cable TV bill.

Let's set that aside for a bit. Because there is more to the story.

When I went to purchase the Steyr. I had a meeting with the gun shop owner prearranged.

I brought me with several guns, some dating back to the '60s. After inspection, he offered me $4,000.00 for the lot. I already had a number in my head. he wasn't quite there.

I then factored in the money it would cost to sell and ship each one of these individually. There were nine, so I figured $450.00.

Then I added in the 6% sales tax I would save on the Scout. Even trade, no tax.

***Full Disclosure***
    The Scout was not the only long gun purchased that day.

I also pulled the trigger on a Thompson Center LRR. Also without sales tax, because of the trade.

The LRR cost me $1,100.00
    here is some info on that for those interested.
    https://www.tcarms.com/firearms/bol...nce-center-t-c-lrr/performance-center-t-c-lrr

1400 + 1100 = 2500.

4000 - 2500 = $1500.00

I arrived home with $1,400.00 in my wallet. I stashed the other hundred in my truck for emergency money.

I kept $700.00 and gave the Bride 700.00.
    Happy wife, happy life.

Sort of a long extrapolated explanation. But I felt the need to break it down in a way that folks can see where money goes.

These days the government, Apple, cell phone companies, and many others, have devised ways to separate us from our money.

I call it "Parasitic Loss" Like any parasite, it doesn't kill us. At times we even forget it's there. But it is. Always sucking, always draining us. At times not even enough to bother us. but over time that drain adds up to big money.

White Collar made me chuckle a bit. I never quite reached that pinnacle in my career.

So there is a lesson in my gun math.

The Steyr Scout is certainly a cool rifle. but I feel I made the proper sacrifices over time to pull the trigger on it. (Pun Intended)

LV,

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  9. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

That's quite the lengthy post, but I like the way you think. ;)

Chris Talley, Zeek and C99c like this.
  10. IW17

IW17 Member

I was a C math student, but you seem like you got the logistics covered. Either way, that's a damn fine rifle ;)

11. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

Great post! You are what normal should look like! Hope you enjoy the rifle. A leupold 2.5 is a great scope to finish it out with.

12. Justin Bohnett

Justin Bohnett Member

Time to knock off some rust. Deer season is right around the corner. 20200823_165333.jpg

13. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

........ what magazine is the Scout using ? It's been a number of years since I handled one but Stery's bolt rifle weakness has long been the fragility of the magazines. I wore out several over the years till I converted (my SSG) to use AI magazines.

The Marsh Gorilla and junglebum like this.
  14. Lostviking

Lostviking Member

Nice!!

15. Justin Bohnett

Justin Bohnett Member

You gotta post some pics of this beauty!

The Marsh Gorilla and Lostviking like this.
  16. Lostviking

Lostviking Member

Soon, in the process of moving at the moment. But when things settle down, the fun will begin!

17. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

Been wanting a scout rifle for a while but feel guilty about buying new rifles when inherited so many older ones. Out of an arisaka type 99, a Mauser, a savage 99 takedown in 300 savage and a Remington (not sure of the model) in 30-06 which best fits the bill to try to mount a scout style scope on? Please pardon my ignorance in advance.

18. Justin Bohnett

Justin Bohnett Member

How far forward do the rails go on each rifle? You'll want the scope pretty far forward to free your peripheral vision. The caliber of the rifle boils down to personal preference. Can you successfully hunt and defend yourself with your chosen caliber? For me a scout rifle is defined as a bolt action rifle with a good all purpose round that has a forward mounted scope.

The Marsh Gorilla and Delkancott like this.
  19. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

Does that Arisaka shoot the 6.5 JAP? That’s a solid round.

There are a lot of 6.5 rounds around the world that are awesome, and been in use for 70+ years. The US finally started catching on a few years ago.

20. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

I am a 6.5 fan and have two Creedmoors and a Grendel.
    If this were 1975 and all I did was hunt, I could have gotten a small ring Mauser in 6.5 Swede and did everything I’ve ever needed with a large centerfire. Some of the factory sporters from the early 20th century were beautiful.