The Five Guns

Discussion in 'EXPAT Knives®' started by Expat, Sep 16, 2016.

1. jeeter

jeeter Member

One modification to my list: I'll have to replace K98 with M1A Scout. As much as I love Mauser's design (I have a couple), the M1A scout is damn near perfection; easy to find caliber, not too heavy, not too long, and reliable.

2. Stone

Stone Member

I've been pedaling my bike all day. I sat downtown for the first half of it, after wandering into a "nonviolence rally" with a handgun (Ruger LC9s) on my side; left quickly; new thread coming: non-violence is bs), then the last half in a wooded park near a renegade camp with the same 9mm on my side.

So, I'm tired. Therefore, I'll elaborate more later.

For now, just this. My list will be only 4.
    • Ruger LC9s that's still on my right side at 4 pm (meaning o'clock)
    • Ruger American Ranch Rifle in .223/5.56 NATO (to be acquired)
    • Ruger American Rifle in .22 LR (TBA)
    • A shotgun. Don't know which one yet. Could be a SxS or OU.
    When I was on this forum before -- years ago -- I owned a .30-30 lever, .38 spl (SW 642) and .357 mag (SW 65).
    After that, I added a Remington 597 HB. All gone now. Down to the LC9s for now.
    Better than just a stick.

Oh, and my Izula. And some gin. With BBQ.

If I must add #5, it'll be a 30mm minigun in an A10.

Go ahead; make my day.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  3. charles bower

charles bower Member

Here's what I've got:

Glock 17: You get a slightly longer sight radius, a full grip, and a slightly larger capacity. If you want to carry concealed you'll have to learn to be creative which means really thinking about how you carry. It can be done with a full-sized pistol but you can't just throw it on.

Ruger American Rimfire: Better stock sights than the 10/22, an incredible action for the price, and it still takes the 10/22 magazines which is a big plus. The added benefit of the extra cheek pieces makes it easily adaptable for any shooter. The benefit of the bolt action is you learn to make your shots carefully and its much easier to force yourself to use it as a single-shot rifle until you have the basics down.

Remington 870: I went with the Mossberg but I wish I had done more research. The 870 is easy to convert any which way to Sunday. Oh you're going to the range for some skeet? Easy, quick swap, you're ready. Oh you're going hunting for deer? Done. Doves? Done. If you want a do-anything shotgun this is the one for you. And when you're starting out with firearms it helps to have a do-anything sort of gun.

AR-15: This is your graduation present after the Ruger. With this pattern you can plink, hunt, defend your castle against the hordes of rabid Hillary supporters, and just look cool on the internet with everybody else who has one. My advice: build it. Its super easy even if you're just building the lower receiver. You get a greater connection to the gun, you can do it in an afternoon, and you get to use colorful language when that damn pin just won't go in. Then just buy an upper. This platform can do anything from .22 to .50 Beowulf.

Military surplus bolt rifle: All these rifles will come in calibers that you can hunt with and ammo is often cheap and plentiful. A lot of the guns are cheap and plentiful too. Get your C&R license and you can even have it shipped to your door!

Anything beyond that is for fun or to replace something above.

JMJ and Stone like this.
  4. Dave41079

Dave41079 Member

Or when the spring and front detent go flying across the room.

5. mil spec

mil spec Member

Ed Brown 1911 - .45acp makes big bleed out hole
    Ruger 10/22 - when ammo is easy to find again
    Marlin 30-30 - great all round rifle for my neck of the woods
    Remington 870 - no need to say anything about it
    S & W or Ruger revolver .357 - it just works

6. Spikebot587

Spikebot587 Member

I've actually been giving this a lot of thought recently and this would be my list

1. Remington 870. Good reliable 12ga that will take anything you feed it. A good shotgun is IMO the most versatile firearm you can have. Everything from home defense to hunting.

2. .45 ACP handgun. Either a 1911 or S&W M&P .45. Easy to carry and easy to use. I'm a fan of .45 over 9mm because I prefer a bigger round with more stopping power. It's the same thing as why use a .38 when. You can use a .357

3. Either a ruger 10/22 0r a ruger american .22. Again, another versatile rifle as far as hunting goes, but also a great way to teach and practice shooting skills.

4. A good .30 cal rifle. This is the hardest choice for me. I'd either go with a henry 30-30, mossberg MVP scout in .308 or an M1A varient. All but the Henry are great for longer shooting, as well as all 3 are extremely versatile hunting rifles. You can kill just about anything on the planet with a well placed round from one of these rifles

5. S&W model 60. Well made reliable revolver in a hard hitting round. I choose the model 60 because its small enough that it can be carried but still large enough to handle full loads. Some times the best answer is the simplest answer. Plus, because It's a 357 you can shoot. 38 as well.

Bruno_GO and JMJ like this.
  7. JMJ

JMJ Member

If I made this list with what I own at the moment I'd go:
    1. Browning Abolt 22lr
    2.G20 10mm auto, with 40sw barrel
    3.16" 5.56 AR15
    4. Browning Auto-5 12ga
    5. Browning Abolt 7mmRM or aero precision LR308(still a toss up for me)

This would leave me setup well for anything in the terrain and environments I tend to frequent.

Bruno_GO likes this.
  8. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

This is just my preference meaning f I had to get rid of everything else.

Krieghoff K-80 2 bbl. set w skeet tubes.
    Arrieta 20 ga SxS
    Anshutz 1712 .22 bolt w 25x Leupold
    Sig 938
    6.5 creedmoore bolt gun mine is a Very heavy bbl Savage

Zeek and JMJ like this.
  9. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

Dang!

10. JMJ

JMJ Member

That's a sweet shotgun! I've seen a few on courses, but never got to try one. Two of my shotgun coaches in high school had Perazzi's and Bettinsoli's that I was able to practice with...left me feeling like my citori 425 was a yugo sport.

11. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

I thought I might sell it when I retired but I have so many rounds through it I developed an emotional attachment .
    I carry the sig everyday.
    On second thought, I might keep the 28 ga in leu of the 20 as I have not pheasant hunted in years. No upland birds where I live and the 28 will kill anything on a planted bird facility.

My bother, whom I taught to shoot skeet, beat me at the last shoot we attended with his citori...seems ungrateful!

JMJ likes this.
  12. nofuss

nofuss Member

20 ga Ithaca model 37/'14
    .45 Kimber ProCarry1/'01
    .270 Winchester model 70/'59
    .22 Winchester 61 pump/'58

All I've got/need. #5? Have forever lusted for a Sig P210 ... never could justify the $$.

JMJ likes this.
  13. SqueeDab

SqueeDab Member

Seems to be a trend...

1. Glock 19 (big enough to have some big gun advantages, small enough to carry/conceal)

2. Rem 870 (a few barrel changes and you've got a world of options)

3. Ruger 10/22 (every firearms enthusiast should own one)

4. AR15 or *quality* AKM pattern rifle
    (I'd opt for AR, as swapping uppers opens a world of options)

5. Savage Model 10 in .308

JMJ likes this.
  14. JMJ

JMJ Member

Glad to see you here man!

We gained you as we lost Metcalf to getting banned, glad Louisiana still has 3 members!!!

SqueeDab likes this.
  15. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

1: Glock 26 modified to my likes
    2: Remington 700 308 built to my likes
    3: M and P 22 rimfire built to my likes
    4: im all good here.
    5: im good at three.

JMJ likes this.
  16. Bruno_GO

Bruno_GO Member

1- Glock 19