ar-15: opinion on 12.5" vs. 10.5" barrel length?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JV3, Jun 4, 2020.

1. JV3

JV3 Member

"other firearm" ar-15 is now widely available...aside from maximum maneuverability (10.5") or more rail space (12.5"), any data why one would go with a 10.5" or 12.5" long barrel? i assume within 300 yards (it's the longest range i have access to) there's no noticeable difference...so which one would you go with and why?

2. FAL'ER

FAL'ER Member

Is "other firearm" a "pistol" as in , with a legal arm brace?
    Are you going to suppress it?

ASH and JV3 like this.
  3. Frigin

Frigin Member

So I have built a few rifles. My most favorite is the 11.5 SBR. In my opinion It gives you the best all accuracy and maneuverability. Compact. It has seemed to work well for me. It also from what I have read the go to for suppressing I can not attest because I’m not able to have them. I have trained hard with it and trained a lot. Shoots like a dream.
    but what are you looking to do with this specific AR I have many and they Are all good for different things.

JV3 likes this.
  4. JV3

JV3 Member

"pistol" with arm brace is not allowed here so only "rifle" with legal arm brace and also a vertical foregrip is required...suppressor is also not legal here.

just home defense (increased maneuverability) and range use.

5. JV3

JV3 Member

someone said a 10.5" is far louder regardless of muzzle device and also it has to be pinned permanently whereas a 12.5" is not...it'd be nice to be able to experiment with different muzzle devices for once.

6. FAL'ER

FAL'ER Member

Louder yes, far louder, I don't know, it's subjective I guess.
    I like my 12.5 better than my 11.5 but that might not be a barrel length issue. They've got different triggers and different forends, optics & lights.
    My 11.5 is a lot heavier so I tend not to use it as much. This is me furrowing my brow wanting to be helpful but realizing I should have stayed out if it.
    Are you gonna buy or build?

JV3 likes this.
  7. FAL'ER

FAL'ER Member

I'd go 12.5 for better ballistics and not having to pin a muzzle device. You get less Muzzle flash too.

10.5 is sexy though.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    JV3 likes this.
  8. ASH

ASH Member

Besides the cost, is there any difference in paperwork between a "aow" and a sbr? Or is a sbr not allowed there? I've never handled a 12.5 but I don't have any complaints about my 10.5. in your case I think I would lean towards the 12.5 just so it wouldn't have to be pinned. I don't think you can go wrong either way. My 10.5 still has a enough velocity to cleanly punch holes in 1/4" plate with 55gr ammo.

JV3 likes this.
  9. JV3

JV3 Member

no "aow" or sbr allowed...i'll probably go with the 12.5" then based on the replies. thanks everyone!

10. FAL'ER

FAL'ER Member

Are you gonna buy it or build it?
    It's easy enough to go back to 10.5 later if you wish you'd done it different.
    Nate

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    JV3 likes this.
  11. JV3

JV3 Member

depends if bcm is willing to ship me a complete upper...in the past they won't even ship a lower so i had to buy mine from budsgunshop.com.

12. ASH

ASH Member

Ok, I thought "aow" is what you meant by other firearm.

JV3 likes this.
  13. JV3

JV3 Member

"other firearm" is another category i believe from "aow" since aow also requires a batfe stamp. we can buy "other firearm" like a regular rifle here, just a nics check and the ffl's fee.

14. ASH

ASH Member

I see. They did something kind of like that here, in that the state's definition of Long gun doesn't include anything with a barrel under 16". So technically anything between 16 & 18" isn't a handgun or a long gun.

JV3 likes this.
  15. Frigin

Frigin Member

Got to love the laws everywhere. I can’t buy an AR style rifle here in MA anymore but yet I just went and got from my FFL 4 AR stripped lowers because they are registered as AOW “any other weapon” lol.

JV3 likes this.
  16. Jtallen83

Jtallen83 Member

Go with the 12.5. If you want shorter build a 300 BO with an 8-10 inch barrel, no real penalty in ballistics with a shorty 300 BO.

JV3 likes this.
  17. FAL'ER

FAL'ER Member

Is that still the thing to do if he can't legally suppress? I though I read they were importing Russian steel case ammo now. So that's good.
    I don't have much knowledge on the .300 B/O.

18. Nowhere

Nowhere Member

From what I understand, you'll lose about 200 FPS muzzle velocity for the shorter barrel. This will likely vary based on the powder in your cartridges, but all things being equal, I tend to opt for the longer barrel. That's not to say I don't have shorter barreled firearms, for example rifles I intend to use in the deer blind.

Either way it should be a lot of fun, but that's my $.02.

JV3 likes this.
  19. junglebum

junglebum Member

If you check the ballistic charts and use a ballistic calculator depending on the ammo and twist rate there could be a a noticeable drop in point of aim vs point of impact I tend to lean towards no shorter then 12” I usually zero at 200 and use a red dot with a 2 MOA dot that usually puts my point of aim point of impact in a kill zone between 0-250 yards. But Take what I say with a grain of salt I’m no operator and I’m sure there are guys on here who can give u better advice

JV3 likes this.
  20. 480 RUGER

480 RUGER Member

If you are going to Potentially use it in your home you will notice very little difference between 10.5, 11.5 or 12.5 although I prefer the 10.5 for its weight and length. Something to think about, if you intend to use it in a vehicle then the 10.5 or shorter really comes into its own. They are easier to conceal and much easier to bring into play inside a truck or a car. I personally wouldn’t worry to much about velocity differences or noise as this type of weapon is not really intended for long range use and they will all deafen you without proper hearing protection especially if you ever have to use it indoors or in a vehicle. You might also consider a pistol caliber carbine. A 9mm or .45 AR is a great tool for what you are using it for and you can take it out to 150 yds or more with much less noise and an even shorter barrel. My new Quarter Circle 10 AR 9 build has a 4.5” barrel and with the Maxim PDW brace collapses down to just under 18”. It shoots 3”-4” groups with a red dot at 100yds

JV3 likes this.