Insect Repellents - Deet & Non- Deet based

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Bushman5, May 18, 2019.

1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Bug season again.

thought a thread on insect repellents would be intersting. Would like to hear peoples repellent of choice, and their reviews of it.

there is a new player on the market (fairly recent to Canada after extensive research by the Canadian Government) - a Non DEET repellent that contains Icaridin 20% (sold under various names) Icaridin (Picaridin) . Apparently it does not cause a reaction when using sunscreen.

I'm personally a huge fan of DEET based sprays, but you have to be careful spraying them on modern clothing (meltage!)

I do use Permethrin based sprays on my clothes, because of the massive tick problem up here, but the stuff is deadly to cats. So i have to be really careful with my sprayed clothes and boots and socks, as well as wash hands before petting the cats . I bag the clothes after use in heavy plastic bags and stow them in a locked cabinet.

SO whats your favorite insect repellent. Give brand name, Deet or Icaridin or other %'s , how its applied (spray or cream), any reactions when using along with sunscreen, and any issues with clothing or gear damage

I'm currently using MUSKOL , 30% DEET, spray bottle. Keeps the skeeters , chiggers, no see ums , wasps and very rarely black & deer flies away. Increased risk of sunburn when used with sunscreen. Will melt modern clothing and gear is sprayed onto it. I general apply it sans clothing (but not in the nether regions) and rub it in quite well before heading outdoors. Facial area i spray my palms and rub around my face, avoiding the eyes. In the field I spray a cotton bandana and wipe that onto my exposed skin. I often liberally spray my shemagh with repellent and drape that around my neck. Works well.

BENS 30% DEET is another one I use. Pretty much same as above.

Jeremiah Jones likes this.
  2. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Great idea bushy. I was canoeing a swamp today and when the wind died down the bugs got rough. I made the nessmuk bug dope and liked it. Need another batch.

Bushman5 likes this.
  3. Neilsen

Neilsen Member

I find the low percent of DEET is useless. The best thing I’ve found is to stink. Lol. No deodorant or smelly soap. Same with clothes. Seems to work just as well as the low percent DEET.

Bushman5 likes this.
  4. Hammer

Hammer Member

I use Picaridn (Sawyer). It works and I haven't noticed it damaging any of my gear.

Bushman5 likes this.
  5. DiscoveryLover

DiscoveryLover Member

I use Deet and Natrapel, which has the Picaridin. Both seem to work good.
    Can't really say if one works better than the other.

[​IMG]

Zeek and Bushman5 like this.
  6. Gunn

Gunn Member

Here I go resurrecting another dead thread...

@BlueDogScout I too have been interested in making the Nessmuk bug dope, could you elaborate on any modifications you may have made to the recipe, comment specifically on your source/type of pine tar, and just voice your opinion/comments? Nessmuk swore by this stuff and I'd love to hear from an actual user.

Good quality pine tar (pharm grade) seems to come down to Auson Kiln Burned (773) or Auson Genuine (850) and it looks like there are only 2 US distributors, 773 seems to be out of stock.
    Thanks for any insights.

7. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

That bug dope sounds effective but also sounds like an absolute mess. I’ve been thinking about creating my own using similar ingredients but mostly as essential oils...castor oil seems to be the base/carrier oil but is considered an active repellent. Coniferous scented oils like pine and cedar have been known to be effective, as have minty scents like pennyroyal, peppermint and thyme. Also scents like patchouli,lemongrass, sage and clove have been used in repellents. I think I’m gonna start experimenting with combinations of the aforementioned oils

Bushman5 likes this.
  8. longbow2240

longbow2240 Member

Been using the Sawyers brand for 5 years now, yet to find a tick since using it. Chiggers are minimal to none at times.

Bushman5 and Strigidae like this.
  9. Gunn

Gunn Member

Indeed it does. Nessmuk liked to leave it on for days (weeks) at a time, and never wash the glaze off unless necessary then re-apply immediately. He was a big fan of it as skin conditioner, along with the weathered, tan color it made his skin. He wrote that a 3 oz. batch lasted a whole season. I can't imagine using up a liter or gallon of pine tar unless you made soap with it.
    The essential oils idea is excellent, I actually used some last weekend. It had lemongrass and other things (I don't know what) and it worked very well. Keep us informed what your results are, I for one am quite interested in a good natural repellent.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    Bushman5 likes this.