Comments, Thoughts and randomness that doesn't deserve its own thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RocketmanDane, Sep 8, 2016.

1. C99c

C99c Member

Big plans for vacation? I start mine next Friday.

2. TerryD

TerryD Member

So as with any week before my vacation. It's sucking...

Yesterday wasn't horrible, but we had a feed water valve on our smaller recovery boiler lock up. We managed to free it and get them control back but they started making plans for us to rebuild it tomorrow.

Today, I was loaned out to the power house for #6 coal boiler outage and we were cleaning the crocks in the precipitator. Right off the bat, in the hot roof for 2 minutes, I slammed my head into a metal plate hanging from the ceiling hard enough to leave a mark on my hard hat and jam my neck. So that's been hurting all day.

Then this evening, we found out one of our shift guy's wife tested positive for COVID-19, so he's getting tested. Because of the time frame, nearly a third of the work force is quarantined till his results come back. It got all 4 electricians in my area and the other two instrument guys got forced to shift to cover so I'm the ONLY guy in our shop for who knows how long.

BUT, because of this, my vacation is at risk.

So if his test takes 3 days, that's Friday before we get the results. If he comes back negative, then no issues... BUT, if he tests positive, then I'm on quarantine till the tests of the guys i work with come back. So that's up to 8 days waiting, which puts me 1/2 way through my vacation, with my brother, his wife and 2y/o son, and my Dad and his girlfriend who are both in their 70s, plus my family of 5.

So to expedite that, I went ahead and got tested after work. It sucks and I do risk a false positive, but it gets me results in 3 days vs a possible 8 and won't delay my vacation if I'm clean.

If it does come back positive, I get two weeks of work. And hopefully I can get the new transfer case in my Xterra and be ready to raise some hell once I'm off quarantine....

3. C99c

C99c Member

Damn.

4. TerryD

TerryD Member

Yep...

5. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

6. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

34 Days :)

IW17 likes this.
  7. TerryD

TerryD Member

Update: test came back negative for me so we've been on vacation this week.

It's been pretty nice out here.

JV3, C99c, RocketmanDane and 3 others like this.
  8. C99c

C99c Member

Good to hear.

I started vacation today. Fishing gear is packed, bike is ready to go. Daily driver beater may have COVID. Or a blown motor. One of the two. Truck is still down because I haven't had time to finish (or start) the motor/tranny swap. Wife won't take one for the team and pick her something new and give me her 4runner.

So I guess tomorrow I will go looking for something. There are worse problems to have because I've known it was coming and have the money put aside but I'd rather be on a creek somewhere. Maybe by early next week.

9. TerryD

TerryD Member

Got the gear unloaded and mostly put away. The canopy and chairs are drying and what little laundry there was left just needs folded.

The old truck did pretty good! Managed about 12mpg for the whole trip. Not bad for a 8klb 4x4 designed in the 80s.

Nearly 301k on the clock, the old engine is a little worn. Didn't use much oil on the trip but could use some more pep around 2500rpm, about where it runs at 80mph.

But more pressing is the need to replace the Xterra's transfer case and plug the holes in the roof of the truck's camper shell.

Always something...

10. JV3

JV3 Member

glock perfection...not.

first range trip today with my brand new gen 5 g19 and all 3 mags that came with it failed to lock the slide back on empty.

luckily my local store had 4 mags in stock so i was able to test right away and all 4 work fine. the 3 original mags had noticeably weaker springs.

also, all 15 of my gen 5 g17 mags works fine with the g19...someone dropped the ball on quality control recently. i wonder if they're cutting corners to meet the increased demand?

C99c, Justin Bohnett and TerryD like this.
  11. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

The first rule about Child Sniper Club is to not talk about Child Sniper Club.

12. JV3

JV3 Member

i just found out patrick smith just sold kifaru to aaron snyder (his previous marketing and r&d guy)...sad to hear about the transfer of ownership. i don't like where kifaru is heading...that feeling started when mel left and then the phasing out of 1000d...and it got worse when they got rid of molle mounting for the accessories and only used that metal tab thingy - it's less secure than molle especially when not full so the tiny weight savings isn't worth it for me.

i was shopping for shelters recently and all i see is sold out for all their tipi shelters...i thought they were built to order? i order and pay in advance and wait for however many weeks for them to get around to building it...at least before you can plan for it and for sure will get it within 3 months. even their 10'x10' and ~9'x5' flat tarps are sold out...those are the simplest shelters they make...this sold out nonsense how can you plan around that?

13. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I finally ordered up the 2nd to last pieces (That I have to buy) for my SAK build. The pivot bolts came All the way from Russia in about 5 days which I was excited about.
    But now I need to find the bolts/ screws .. They should be M2 by 6mm. BUT Most company’s don’t stock below M4 or M6..
    Now to convince a Fastenel or Mcmaster Carr to get some in stock :)

TerryD likes this.
  14. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Well.. looks like I got the screws I needed for my SAK build ordered..
    McMaster Carr had a much better selection and choices for the screws then Fastenel. One BIG but only complaint is that their online ordering system is pretty bad. It lets you choice what type of shipping you want but doesn’t give you a cost... It also doesn’t give you a total on the ordering page it just says “plus applicable taxes and shipping” you click “continue” and that places the order with out totaling your purchase.
    SO my order has been placed BUT I have no idea what my final cost is going to be... little worried becAuse even thou I selected ground shipping but it says it will be here tomorrow...

15. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

Yup thats mcmaster, they are set up to support industry where in alot of cases shipping cost is less of an issue than "oh crap, we need this part asap, or we are gonna loose this contract". Also they have warehouses all over the country and an extremely developed shipping system so next day or second day is pretty standard. I used to order from them nearly daily at an old job, normally shipping is less than you would expect, I recently ordered 2 6 foot sections of low profile steel strut for a roof rack system i built. Normally long oversize items are expensive to ship, I think 4 anti vibration ubolts and the 6 foot struts only cost me 25 bucks for shipping and had them in two days.

Strigidae and TerryD like this.
  16. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Well it didn’t end up being to bad. It was $7.## for shipping. Brought it to $26.## total. Since I couldn't buy in less then 25 for stainless, 50 for nuts and 100 for brass it ends up being enough for 18 SAK mods and less the $1.45 per SAK.

Needless to say getting enough parts to do one Mod can be $$ BUT any additional mods is WAY cheaper.

TerryD and Strigidae like this.
  17. IW17

IW17 Member

Sitting in the waiting room about to get lasik. Excited, but a bit nervous. Once it's done and over I know I'll be happy with it.

18. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Best of luck!

IW17 likes this.
  19. IW17

IW17 Member

Thank you strig

Zeek and Strigidae like this.
  20. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Good luck.

I am interested in doing this myself, looking forward to hearing about it.

IW17 and ASH like this.