Chevy luv motor road trip

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Frigin, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Frigin

Frigin Member

D2D6E76D-3BFA-4FC7-AE77-AE043B5FB069.jpeg So I’m heading out tomorrow from MA to NC to meet a kid I met on the chevy LUV forum. So far it has been an amazing experience with him. I previously had paid someone to build a motor for me and got shafted and lost all my money.........it’s been a real drag on me. This kid has luckily renewed my faith in the human race. He has been great the entire time sending pictures and updates. He is a mechanic at a dealership and he is doing this motor at his house when he has time.
    I’m leaving tomorrow around 7
    Or so he’s in Graham NC so it’s around an 11 hour drive. Figure I’ll drive till midnight then pull over and sleep for how ever long then on the road again till I make it there.
    I’m beyond excited to see my new motor and meet mike. I’m also excited to see mikes luv collection. I have two running luvs and one parts luv myself. he had I think 6 running luvs he drives and 20 or so parts luvs. I guess from what limited talking we have done about the subject in NC the junk yards can only keep junk cars for so long like 30 days so when they get luvs he buys them or any good parts on them that he can. So it’s exciting to be able to go somewhere and see that many. He has them stored in 3 counties and two states because he got in trouble from the town for having to many
    Pictures to come of the trip!
    this is the previous setup I had of a t25 turbo draw threw system on the stock 1.8 ltr

Drew RedBear and Datilite like this.
  2. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

I had to Google what a "LUV" was ... !! Out here that got the more manly man title of "Rodeo" ;) :D

Safe journey !

3. SEMO

SEMO Member

Southeast MO, Mississippi River Bottom flatland
    My dad had a Chevy luv In the late 80’s. I think it was an 83 model. Was baby blue with a stripe kit down the side.
    It had a lift kit, was 4wd, and would go anywhere he asked it to go.

Datilite likes this.
  4. Frigin

Frigin Member

@Andy the Aussie rodeo well that’s a sweet name also. Here it’s LUV for light utility vehicle. wonder if there is a meaning out there.

@SEMO aahhh 4wd that is in my list of ones to get. I like the baby blue my 76 is. I really love the orange and the red I have a 76 in red and 74 in orange
    And they did them in a single stage paint so they all look flat.

SEMO likes this.
  5. Frigin

Frigin Member

6. Andy the Aussie

.....no just "Rodeo" as in horses/bulls...LOL before they stopped selling them here (last year) they had been renamed "Colorado".

Frigin likes this.
  7. Frigin

Frigin Member

8. TerryD

TerryD Member

Coming near Roanoke, Va?

Frigin likes this.
  9. Andy the Aussie

.....no never saw that designation for them here mate.

10. Frigin

Frigin Member

@TerryD I believe I’m driving threw Richmond I don’t believe I’ll be going that far west. We can do some knife swapping.

@Andy the Aussie it’s so odd how vehicles vary sooooo much from one place to another. I really don’t understand.

TerryD likes this.
  11. The Warrior

The Warrior Member

Too freakin' cool. I haven't even seen a photo of a LUV for years.

Frigin and TerryD like this.
  12. TerryD

TerryD Member

You must be headed down 95 then.

13. Frigin

Frigin Member

@TerryD
    Yeah that’s the easiest route. There is also the 84 to 81 down to 77 Id like to take that its more west but I’m not sure how much more time that will take. I don’t mind a little but don’t want to add on hours

TerryD likes this.
  14. TerryD

TerryD Member

I can understand that. That's s long drive anyways.

I'm about an hour north of Roanoke off of I64.

15. W.Jester

W.Jester Member

Avoid 81 if possible. it’s a mess with tractor trailers. 95 shouldn’t give you much trouble. Take the beltway around DC.

16. Menace

Menace Member

Dang man. You came right past me. I could've given you a place to crash for the night. If you end up stopping anywhere near Richmond for the night, hit me up

TerryD likes this.
  17. Frigin

Frigin Member

Thanks for the offers for a place to stay! Ended up in my truck somewhere in Maryland las tonight was slow due to traffic we are loading up my motor in a few. took a walk to stretch the legs cadarock park
    9A1A5999-CCAE-468B-9020-06B799F2E61E.png 10D68C60-E31C-4B09-BF83-0269692FB15C.png
    and this will be the ride home hoping to head out 8-9 the latest. this quarantine has my missing the family.

TerryD likes this.
  18. Frigin

Frigin Member

032FC689-786B-4FDF-8F5B-2B53714EAAC4.jpeg 11869D83-F2F2-4254-B560-9AEFB784D02D.jpeg 8019A495-6655-43DA-9CE2-6F794D2A2B8F.jpeg D300EB76-9F55-429C-8261-39443CA559BE.jpeg 92301909-06C7-4544-822B-E08D5F49635F.jpeg D5E4CDC1-EC6B-4040-A2E4-6C53596CE7A2.jpeg So not a bad trip. Traveled about 2500 miles. Slept for about 6 hours took an hour and a half hike.
    Walked around at the guys property and looked at all his luvs .....I think I might have purchased a 79 4x4 lifted that needs work but I’ll figure that out another day......
    I was beyond happy to go meet a fellow luv enthusiast that I just happen to meet on a luv forum. Ended up being a great relationship and I was happy to meet him. mended up getting my mother that was machined and rebuilt for a turbo.
    Rare 5 speed transmission
    Driveshaft
    Super rare Rear 393 gears with a locker all factory
    And that black 79 he’s keeping for me to buy. Told him I have to wait till I start working again lol. So that’s a project for next year.

Attached Files: