Workouts

Discussion in 'Survival and Wilderness Skills' started by Strigidae, May 2, 2020.

1. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

What are you all doing and what works best for you?

BobbyRatTail and C99c like this.
  2. TerryD

TerryD Member

I do some basic stretches to keep my aching back limber but I get lax with them. I find lack of range of motion sets in quickly.

I was trying to do some body weight exercises but have fallen out of that as well. I felt so much better when I was going to the gym regularly about 5 years ago.

TangoDelta59, BobbyRatTail and C99c like this.
  3. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

My gym is still closed. :( So I pushed my 19 stations routine out to the max with what I have at home. 4 times a week minimum + 8-10 miles of outdoor walking or hiking trails. Might as well use the isolation time productively right?

4. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

Whatever my back allows. I cycle 50 to 100 miles per week, run 10 or 15. I have kettlebells I try to do 6 days a week. I have set up a kick boxing area in my garage. I eat like a pig and drink a lot in the evening to equal things out.

5. C99c

C99c Member

Our gym opened back up Monday. We go early in the morning and there's only two other people ever there so we just wipe everything down good before and afterwards.

Otherwise, normal home routine is lots of pull ups, dips and pushups combined with some kettlebells and dumbells. Cardio is running or biking several times a week. Lots of jump rope both at home and at the gym.

If I was starting from scratch for home stuff I'd build a pull up bar and buy a jump rope. If I wanted to spend more I'd get an inexpensive dip station off amazon (if you don't have anywhere to hang a pull up bar there are a lot of pull up bar/dip station combos) and a couple different kettlebells.

Pullups, pushups and dips are simple and will continue to give results for a long time, especially if you do weighted versions.

Also, I love climbing a rope. Had one at the gym but that area is now closed. Have one I put up in the back yard and use.

Jump rope for five minutes. Climb the rope, do some pushups, climb the rope, do some pushups. Repeat until you can't get off the ground on the rope. Them jump rope more until you throw up or collapse.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  6. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

I wish the gym had a climbing rope, sadly it is not so. Nor do I have the means to sit one up. That is a great advantage. I pushed out from around a 1000 reps per session, to over 2000 reps per session, ( about 1 1/2 hrs to nearer to 2-2 1/2 hours). The gym should reopen soon but I am not willing to yield what I have gained. :)

7. SEMO

SEMO Member

Southeast MO, Mississippi River Bottom flatland
    Pull Ups and Push Backs...old fashioned dinner table style.

8. Frigin

Frigin Member

I had got a mountain bike because my gym kickboxing and Krav Maga that I was doing 7 hours a week is still close doesn’t look like it will be open at least a month from now. so Mountain biking is kicking my butt. I still run here and there. I tend to do a lot of manual labor around the house so that beats me up a lot.

9. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Ive been amazed at how little equipment you need for a good workout. There are a lot of body weight exercises that suck.

10. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Member

Bought a full set of resistance cables, to go with what I already had; an ab wheel, and a suspension trainer. Put all together and I can do everything I’d do at a regular gym. (I’m partial to Lifeline, but there are plenty of other brands.)

Can’t skip rope anymore (paralyzed right calf), which is too bad it used to be a big part of my training routine.

Walks always involve pushing my wife’s wheelchair, so that’s an extra effort.

All that, and a diet too!

11. Ratamahatta

Ratamahatta Member

Kettlebell workouts twice a week and some ankle weight workouts keeping my knees good. I walk or ride my bike every day.

TangoDelta59 likes this.
  12. olderguy

olderguy Member

Just had my yearly physical last week. Lost weight and blood sugar at it's lowest in years. Seems like a ****ty diet and no exercise works well !!! My gym is still closed with no open date yet but who needs it ? hahaha

TangoDelta59 and Frigin like this.
  13. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

Currently I get up at 4am and do construction work all day, but before that me and the misses were doing a 100 day training program that alternated between arms, core, legs, cardio and stretching.

TangoDelta59 and Datilite like this.
  14. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

Last February we purchased my wife an electric assist bicycle. In the prior years, I was riding my bike around 50 miles per week in the summer. Mostly by myself as she could not ride as far as I. With her use of the electric bike we are regularly riding 30 or so miles after she gets off work. It has essentially opened up a new universe for us. We generally pack a picnic when riding around a local lake. We did 33 miles the evening of the pic. I am still running and biking in the morning. All this allows me to sleep well and offsets some of the overeating and drinking that I tend to indulge in. I am averaging over 100 miles biking and 18 running for a week.

I plan to purchase myself one on my 70th birthday. 7779EAC5-8A2B-4B14-833E-55CA3FADB72A.jpeg

TangoDelta59, Strigidae and C99c like this.
  15. Kevo

Kevo Member

Gyms are opening back up here. I do Wendler 5/3/1 for lifting 4 days a week and aim for cardio 3 days. Walk, hike, and fish a lot too.

16. Black5

Black5 Member

Well...today I unloaded a quarter ton of feed.

I mean..sounds good...in a way...

TangoDelta59 and Kevo like this.
  17. Skip808

Skip808 Member

If I was in the cool club I’d be rucking. But I’m not so I’m walking around with a backpack full of rocks.

our jiujitsu gym is still closed so I’m just doing a lot of the warm up exercises, push ups and heavy core.

not training sucks choking people is the most relaxing thing after a long days work and bjj is the only legal way I can do that. Lol

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  18. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

Current regiment is get up at 4:30,drive 1.5 hours to the Jobsite, spend all day working in the heat unless it’s raining, then I spend all day working in the rain, do this for 12 hours and then drive home. Rinse and repeat. At least we are off 7 days right now.

before that I did 1 hour a day of cardio/weights/stretches with the misses.

C99c, TangoDelta59 and DiscoveryLover like this.
  19. TangoDelta59

TangoDelta59 Member

Currently... 2.5 mile walk/jog every morning; Dumbbell workout daily - skull crushers, curls, extensions etc.; Nordic Track - 25 minutes every evening (usually); starting to do push ups. Try to work out 7 days a week. Almost 62 years old. Weight is excellent for height. Tactical skills are on par with when I was a young stud. I refuse to surrender warrior mindset to older age...

Strigidae likes this.
  20. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Member

Back to coaching; traveling to students’ houses and giving “driveway” lessons. Also put myself on a diet; lost 31 pounds, so far (goal is 50).

Kevo, TangoDelta59 and Strigidae like this.