2020 Summer Vacation Plans?

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Adventurer, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Adventurer

Adventurer Member

My wife and I usually take one larger vacation trip each summer however we aren't really sure what this summer is going to bring with the cornavirus... We were thinking of maybe going to Glacier National Park, Banff, and Jasper but aren't sure if there will be any travel restrictions or if they will get everything under control soon...

Just wanted to check with others to see if you have any summer trips planned (and where you hope to be going), if you think we should just go ahead and reserve everything, and just open up a general summer vacation conversation thread...

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  2. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

We are thinking of traveling from the basement to the living room.

3. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

We are still hoping for a late summer Denali NP trip. We haven’t set anything in stone yet.. But we are hoping that all the craziness will calm down enough to travel again . Even if we have to take extra extra precautions we are still wanting to go.

mtngoat, Datilite and Adventurer like this.
  4. Michael W.

Michael W. Member

I hear it’s nice this time of year.

Strigidae likes this.
  5. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

We were scheduled for a family visit trip to WI and then to the UP of MI for a week in Munising, and a stopover in Manistique. All those have been cancelled due to the recent strangeness.
    Thinking about Colorado in September. Ouray, Telluride, area for some 4x4 action.

There's going to be a lot of pent up demand and I think it's going to be difficult getting into State and Federal/National Parks.
    Boondocking and little used state and national forests might be a good bet.

We went to AK last Summer and stopped in Jasper, Banff and Glacier on our way south, glad we got that trip in!

Adventurer likes this.
  6. Frigin

Frigin Member

We are heading to Virginia Beach in August I can’t wait. We have a house on the beach that’s sleeps 22 and it has a pool and hot tub. The people have already said it’s a go no matter what so all of us are a go no matter what in my family. I miss laying on the beach can’t wait. And it’s private if front of the house so that’s a plus.

7. Adventurer

Adventurer Member

I love the Munising area in the U.P. If you end up heading to Pictured Rocks in the future and haven't been there before let me know, I might have a couple ideas of things to do and copies of maps if you need them...

8. Adventurer

Adventurer Member

Since Canada is still closed and the park's are not allowing any future reservations we might think about a different trip somewhere in the U.S. in late August? Not really sure where at this point and what finding campgrounds will be like...

We also wanted to get a beach house (with 5 or 6 other couples) for a week in Florida in December but if there is another flare up in the virus come winter not sure how that will go...

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  9. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

I take it yall canceled the trip to Wuhan, then?

10. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Still looking at a September Denali trip.. They have a “road raffle” for September. Basically you can only drive in the first 15 miles of the Denali highway in a POV normally.. But the road is 92 miles long into the park. Normally you have to take a tour bus to get past 15 miles.. BUT if you are drawn in the “road raffle” you are allowed to drive all the way to mile 92 but just for 1 day..
    ThAt would be one EPIC day of photography and sightseeing. :)

11. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Booked a trip to the beach already.

Was really cheap and non-refundable so hopefully there isn’t a hurricane during that time.

Adventurer likes this.
  12. Trailmaster

Trailmaster Member

To be honest, the bus tour is actually pretty good. It’s a tad pricey, but for what you get it’s not that bad. Double check my info, but I’m pretty sure you can have the bus drop you off if you want to hike around and you can catch another one when it comes along later, not sure it matters how many times you do this. Denali is huge, you could easily spend a month there and not see half of it. September is a little late in the season but that’s when I would go as well. A good camera, binoculars, and rain gear is a must.

Check the website, the rules for buses and driving your POV have changed due to CoVid. Just FYI

Datilite likes this.
  13. camoguy

camoguy Member

We will be going to Pigeon Forge / Gatlinburg Tennessee area in August. That means I get to hit up Smoky Mountain Knife Works for some souveniers.

Adventurer and TerryD like this.
  14. TerryD

TerryD Member

We go on a family trip to OBX with my brother and his family every year. That's the plan this year as well.

We had discussed Disney but we feel like that's out this year so that other week will be up in the air. Maybe some camping down in NC around Linville.

Adventurer likes this.
  15. Trailmaster

Trailmaster Member

From what I’ve heard Linville Gorge has became a very popular area to say the least, especially on the weekends

TerryD likes this.
  16. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

I looked at that area, what’s the weather like in Gatlinburg in August?

TerryD likes this.
  17. dhunley1

dhunley1 Member

My wife and I still plan on doing our annual trip up to Charlevoix in late August.

Dennis Adams likes this.
  18. artigas

artigas Member

Going to Glacier NP and Yellowstone in July. Probably make it down to Moab/Canyonlands at some point.

Adventurer likes this.
  19. IW17

IW17 Member

Usually it's hot and humid. You might get lucky and have a cool night or two, but otherwise it's steamy. We go there in July/August almost every year to see family. One of my favorite places to visit but there are some years I swear I'll never go back in the summer. On the plus side, tubing down the river is enjoyable since the water temps are in the low 60's. Anyone who goes should definitely check out Cades cove. It's a tourist destination but the scenery is great with lots of wildlife.

TerryD likes this.
  20. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

My vote was southern Colorado in the mountains.

Wife’s vote was gulf coast, she won.

IW17 likes this.