Hurricane Season 2020

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nagel, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Nagel

Nagel Member

Morning All ~ it’s raining heavily here this morning on the Northern Gulf Coast thanks to Cristobal. Rumors are this will be an active season. Having lived here since right before Ivan hit in ‘04, visited here every year since the mid-nineties, it’s always a nerve racking experience such that everyone takes preparation differently. This year the virus fears have really compounded everything.

My routine is simple: make sure batteries for flashlights are fresh, pick up some snacks and maybe a few things for the gas grill, hit the liquor store, make sure the vehicles have at least a half-tank of gas, and check to make sure I have at least a couple hundred rounds of ammo. Devices get charged and we sit back and wait. I’ve done the generator thing, but honestly it’s probably not really necessary if you divide up your fridge/freezer and plan on cooking (with gas or charcoal outside of course) while power is out. The longest I’ve endured was 4 days from Ivan, but really that wasn’t unbearable. Stock up on ice too, if it looks like a Cat 3 or worse. Otherwise it’s generally a huge rainmaker. I also have a chain saw I keep tuned up in case we have a tree down. After the storm blows thru, we just stay put for 12 hours or so, before we venture out, and only if we have to.
    Hope you all take a moment to think about your situation and set up, its time well spent.

2. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

I’ll be down there next month.

Nagel likes this.
  3. Theo

Theo Member

Good reminder to get your preps in order before the pre hurricane rush hits.

4. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

We have been getting pounded by the wind and rain from the TS all day..
    I have been through 2 hurricanes and a couple tropical storms and it’s not that big of a deal IMO if you are prepared.

This one seems a little worse mentally thou.. With having to stay home with all the virus going on.. Getting out for a good walk every day has been important. We started getting the effects yesterday so no walk yesterday and none today... I need to get outside without this crazy weather!

JV3 likes this.