ESEE firesteel badly decomposing!

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by floatch, Mar 25, 2020.

1. floatch

floatch Member

Hey everyone, I've got one of the old ESEE firesteels, and haven't used it in some time. I grabbed for it today and the rod has badly decomposed, losing probably 50% of its total volume, having turned into a very light grey dust.
    I'm about 90% sure these rods are threaded into the body, so before it rusts totally away, I'd like to remove it from the body and replace it. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement rod? If I can't get a new threaded rod, I may just drill the threaded portion out and epoxy a regular rod in its place so I can continue to use the body.
    Has anyone else had this happen? It's nuts, at least half of my rod has just wasted away. It's weird because none of my many other firesteels are afflicted with this same problem, and they're all stored in the same dry place. It's the same room as a bunch of my guitars, so I know it's not too humid in there or anything.

2. notajerryskid

notajerryskid Member

I do not think they are threaded. If memory serves me right they are epoxied. If you cut it flush to the bottom, then use a drill to remove the rest. I have see someone heat up the steel and remove it but I would not suggest that.

3. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

I would caution you on a drill....as it will throw sparks....use a heat gun, as I *think*, they are epoxied in. I can't recall the diameter right off hand...I'd like to see some photos of what it looks like as this is the first I've heard of one falling apart like this.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  4. hma153

hma153 Member

First knives breaking, now firesteels corroding. What's next for ESEE? ;)

5. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

The stickers loosing their ability to adhere....

hma153 and IW17 like this.
  6. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@floatch
    I seems to remember them being exposed.. Def would advise against flames and all :) But you might find something like a hairdryer and heat the ever living cr@p out of it with the fire steel clamped in a vice and then carefully its heavy gloves twist the tube portion. Just make sure to remove the cap before all of this.

7. FAL'ER

FAL'ER Member

Those things seem to oxidize, I had the same recently with a Swedish army light my fire. Gray powdery residue all over the place. I just scraped the gray stuff away and started making fire. Yours sounds worse off than mine.

8. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson Member

When it's time to remove it, the method will depend on which epoxy has been used and it's melting point. I doubt a hair dryer will get you there in a reasonable amount of time, but a heat gun will do it unless it is a very high melting point epoxy.

You can also let it sit in boiling water for awhile, if that will not damage the other components. I don't know what the handle part looks like, but I use a propane torch to heat the handle up on my bare aluminum units and it comes out in a jiffy.

You're not going to want to drill it out. I would also preserve any threads in the handle (if there are any), as that gives the epoxy something to grab and increases purchase.

Sam

9. floatch

floatch Member

So a big thank you to everyone suggesting drilling would be a bad idea! I hadn't even considered that, excellent point.
    I heated the rod and empty body with a 1200watt heat gun in my basement just now, I got it what I would call "hot as f#$&," and it wouldn't budge with pliers. I guess this is just what it is now, I'm not able to remove this rod from the body.
    Here's some pictures:

10. Sam Wilson

Sam Wilson Member

If you keep heating the rod, it will come undone. Most epoxies have a failure point of 150 to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. It's just a matter of staying on it. Just be careful with the ferro rod, because they are very brittle and snap easily.

11. FAL'ER

FAL'ER Member

Scrape a flat spot and make fire with it.

12. JHansenAK47

JHansenAK47 Member

Put it in salt water and let the rod corrode away

13. Bozho

Bozho Member

Does anyone knows what is causing this?

I have a few swedish LMF firesteels, all of them stored in the same room, but one of them has began to corrode, the other ones are fine.

14. FAL'ER

FAL'ER Member

The one of mine that's the worst was kept in a leather loop on a sheath for a couple years without use. Could be some leather making chemical, dye or finish is doing it. Or just plain oxidation. I don't know, It is a thing though.

15. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Best thing to do is set them after using them. You can use nail polish to do that or a lacquer. If they get moist at all then oxidation will wipe them out.

Lostviking, Kaw-liga, Bozho and 3 others like this.
  16. Nonkie

Nonkie Member

I have had the same issue with 2 of my light my fire ferrorods.
    I use Wildo now for years, so far they are much better imo...
    Does Esee use the LMF too?

17. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

I have had that happen to a few firesteels, didn't seem to make a difference on brand but it was all when I was spending alot of time bumming around coastal salt marshes and everything got salt water on it sooner or later. Honestly one of the reasons I have never spent much money on fire steels, just used what ever LMF or fire steel blank I could find until it got so corroded it broke, always had a second back up with me and a few more at home so it was never a big deal.

Bozho and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  18. 1Pcanario

1Pcanario Member

I've gotten handles off of some rods by dropping them in boiling water for a bit. Have to say never tried it out on a ESEE rod though.

19. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

I boiled mine and the rod slid right out, replaced it with an army model from LMF, just epoxied it in place of the old one.

20. Nonkie

Nonkie Member

I have exactly the same problem with 2 LMF’s...
    The best i had untill now are the ones made by Wildo Sweden...