Yakima loadwarrior basket question

Discussion in 'Overlanding / Off-Road' started by Backwoods Runner, May 16, 2020.

1. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

So i have been looking for ways to add cargo capacity to the roof of my xterra and still be able to throw a canoe up there when ever I want with out having to mess with my cargo set up. Been through pricing out a few different completely home built ideas and and realizing that my best option is probably a factory cargo basket that is sturdy and wide enough that a canoe can sit on top of it. I like the looks and dimensions of the Yakima load warrior and its on sale at REI, plus I have my dividend to spend so the price is right.

My question is, will it be heavy duty enough to throw a 17 foot gruman canoe on (approx 80 lbs I think) the racks cross bars?

2. McKROB

McKROB Member

I’ve had my Load Warrior with the 18” extension for many years, I carry my canoe on top of it all the time, no problem with it handling the load at all. I’d recommend adding a set of gunwale brackets on the basket cross tubes (like the Yakima KeelOver) to keep the canoe from shifting. With an 18’ canoe and no extension on the basket your cross tubes are only going to be 44” (or less?) apart so you’d likely still need a bow and stern tie line.

I would say the most important thing would be to make sure that your underlying mounting system (factory rack?) can handle the load, not necessarily the basket. For example I have mine mounted on Yakima cross bars on top of my truck cap, the Leer rail system can support a maximum combined load of 150lb so I need to make sure I keep it under that.

4E4C7415-34D9-4AA3-A59E-2A8BC23A9370.jpeg

Sorry no pics of the canoe on the basket, but here you can see the basket and canoe brackets

Backwoods Runner likes this.
  3. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

Awesome, thanks. My factory rack is also rated to 150 so when I have a canoe up there the basket will be empty, and I figured as much about the front and rear lines I usually do that with every canoe if I'm going any more than the mile trip at 20mph down to the lake.