iPhone 7 / 7+ anyone ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nether, Sep 8, 2016.

1. rileybassman

rileybassman Member

Oh I didn't buy it... my boss did for me :D

2. Rankor

Rankor Member

Nope. Not this time around. I actually went backwards. I sold my iPhone 6 and went and got an iPhone SE. I guess I really like that audio jack. Prior to the 6, I had a 5 and have always wanted a 5S. The SE is the next best thing to that.

3. Nether

Nether Member

I watched a YT vid on 10 reason not to buy the new 7 or 7+. Seems the iPhone 8 will be the phone to get, that Apple is holding back on features, new tech, till the release of near year's phone. Has me thinking, why pay that kind of money now....

4. rickdarris2004

rickdarris2004 Member

I have heard the same things. Next year is a big anniversary so they are holding back. I might just wait as Apple just sent me a new 6 plus through apple care :)

5. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

This. All this. This is me exactly.

6. Slade

Slade Member

I bought the first iPhone. Then the 3S, 4S, 5S, and then the 6S+. I've never had a single problem that wasn't something I caused and even then it's always been repairable. The 6S+ I have is perfect. There's not a flaw on it anywhere. I've kept it in a Spigen case with a Spigen glass screen cover on it. It is by far the best of all the devices I've had. Pre ordered the 7+ yesterday. $960 for the black 256GB version. Got my current phone 9 months ago for $879 and so have made 9/24 payments on it. Bought out the payments for $580. Selling for $660 right now on the Internet. We will have to see how the release of the newest model affects that. So in 9 months the phone has depreciated $220. Compare that to an android. My wife got the S6 edge for $709 around the same time. It's now worth $280 on a great day. She's down more than twice what I am. She had made 12/24 payments in hers and it actually cost her money to buy out the phone @$355 and then resell it for $280 if she's lucky.

I hate android. I have had numberous android tablets for various reasons and I don't remember them fondly. Ever time I try to use my wife's phone I get angry and quit before I get what I'm trying to do done. My previous ex also had an android before I finally convinced her to switch to Apple. They are so buggy. If you've never had an iPhone you just don't know.

Apple leads innovation. Samsung deciding to gain an edge by taking it in the teeth by putting a high end camera in their phone is their only advantage. Even then it's really their decision to photo enhancement editing on the spot that allows their camera to perform better. Apple has always stated they capture raw images and expect you to do any post capture processing on your own. Most users simply are not willing and/or capable of doing that properly. It sounds to me like Apple has changed that stance in the new release. 3D Touch is so revolutionary that app developers can't figure out how to use its capability to the max yet. I would liken it to a video game that comes out with graphics capability that no current setup can run. A great example was GTAV. It took 3 years post released before consumer video cards could max the settings at a decent frame rate.

Bluetooth is here to stay. The same way you don't use an Ethernet cable to connect your phone to the Internet, soon will be the comparison to connecting headphones with a cord. We already share and enjoy video by wireless, why are we still using cords for audio? I hope the new air buds have decent sound. They intrigue me with their total wireless design and small form factor. Beats are nothing more than branding. They sound like garbage imo, give me some sol republics or audiotechnica over beats EVERY time please. Apple has the money to throw around but that wasn't their best move imo.

The new home button is tbd. I'm sure it went through plenty of focus groups and testing before they made it a mainstay. I'll admit to being unable to imagine it in practice.

I think the jetblack color is a trash idea. I'm calling it now. The one thing that people will have the most to complain about after the phones release is how bad their carry every day mirror polished black case looks. From an engineering POV it's awesome, but the matte black was an easy decision for me.

I'll have an unlocked Verizon iPhone 6S plus with case and screen protector and case if anyone would like to buy the best phone currently on the market. :D

I should mention that I absolutely despise Apple as a company. If another company could come up with a worthy replacement I'd try it out in a heartbeat. As much as I dislike their business practices, at some point I have to realize how well they've treated me over the years and accept that I can both hate the company and appreciate their product at the same time.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  7. Slade

Slade Member

My understanding of the headphone jack is that you will need to use the Lightning adapter that comes with the phone to be able to access a 3.5 mm port. Nothing extra to purchase, it may tie up your charging port while its in use unless the design is a lightning to two port adapter like the Apple lightning to video adapter I have is. It's lightning on the phone side and female lightning for charging and hdmi on the other side.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  8. timdgsr

timdgsr Member

The problem is having to keep up with the dongle to interface with older headphones. I stash cheap earbuds around like my dad stashes reading glasses around his house. Apple is notorious for charging about $30 per dongle. I'm not tring to keep up with that crap.

9. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

10. sneakypete

sneakypete Member

I bought the Samsung note 7 and got the recall email and decided to dump it. I bought a iPhone 6s+ 128gig and love it. I've had android phones since they came out and never thought I'd be converted. My wife has always had iPhones and her phones have always outlasted mine and never had problems. As for the iPhone 7 I thought of buying that vs the 6s+ But didn't like the fact of the missing headphone jack even if it comes with a adapter. The adapter being in the charging port was a big turn off. You can't charge it while listening to music. I'm not interested in the wireless $160 ear buds either. The standard ones on the 6 are great! You can get cases and such for cheap since the 6 has been out for awhile and the options are endless. They have such good deals on the 6s I got a $200 target gift card and annual upgrade so I'll be onboard for the iPhone 8 next sept and hope it's a huge overall change in Apples design. I'm a iPhone user for sure now.

11. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

Wow. That was a great deal. Our iPhones have all lasted a long time. We've had 4, 5, 6, and 6s. My 12 yogis my 5when I upgraded and it's still going strong. It's been going for as long as the 5 has been around.

12. indulf

indulf Member

They come with an adapter for regular headphones. You will be able to use whatever you want.

I have a 7+ on the way care of the company. We'll see how it is soon enough I guess.

C99c likes this.
  13. bax229

bax229 Member

Sticking with my 6 for awhile

14. mil spec

mil spec Member

I'm all over the new iPhone 7. I currently have a 5S and my contract is up. Just waiting for everything to settle down in a few months and I'll get one. I'm glad to see the head phone jack go. I never used mine. It was just a lint trap.

15. Slade

Slade Member

Finally got my iPhone 7 plus today. I know it's similar on the outside, but the improvements are doing it for me. I love every new feature. Standouts are the cameras (all three of them), color gamut, matte black color, stereo speakers, and I actually love the new home button. It's hard to imagine it until you actually try it but it was my biggest concern and I'm quite happy with it. The feedback is miraculously instantaneous and can actually be turned up so that it offers more feedback than the previous button.

Really had no issues with the 6S plus but this is an upgrade in my eyes. Haven't dunked it in water yet but that will happen at some point I'm sure. It is strange not worrying about water at all. Unlocked 6S plus 128GB space gray is available if anyone is interested. Not a flaw on it. Headphones are unused. 2.5 months of apple care left on it.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  16. timdgsr

timdgsr Member

Thanks for the feedback Slade.

17. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

I got my 7 the day it came out. No line. No preorder. Just walked in a half hour before the store closed and they had the matte black 256gb 7 and only 1 left so I took it.

18. Marty W

Marty W Member

I'll get the 7+ if my 6 + ever plays out.

19. rickdarris2004

rickdarris2004 Member

I ordered 2 new 7 pluses with the Verizon deal they had running. Couldn't pass up $650 per phone for trade. I have to wait, but that's not a big issue for me.

20. Slade

Slade Member

I considered that also but it seemed unfair that a 16 gb rosegold iphone 6 was worth the same 650 as my 128 gb space grey 6S plus. I still would have done it though bc it would have saved me the hassle of selling it, but the fine print made me unhappy. The $650 can be adjusted based on their assessment and there are no returns. Once you ship, they will keep your phone and give you what they think is fair for it. I am confident their assessment of my phone would have kept it at the $650, but their terms on repayment were also a problem for me.

The $650 is allocated over 24 monthly reimbursements. Not a problem right? Only valid so long as your replacement device continues under device payment for 24 months. if you buy out your device the reimbursements stop. You are stuck with the new phone for 24 months lest you lose your reimbursements. Not a bad deal for some people, but I am not a fan of being locked into an agreement when I don't have to be. my phone should bring around $600 resale anyway so its not that much benefit vs trouble for me. If I had one of the equally rewarded but less valued options it would have been worth it anyway for sure.