Newish To Firearms- need advice

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by OutdoorsFamilyMan, Feb 14, 2019.

1. the925life

the925life Member

CV = cash value
    TV = trade value

Basically he's saying he prefers a cash sale

OutdoorsFamilyMan likes this.
  2. goon

goon Member

I don’t have scales and am too lazy to look actual weights up - but adding an Aimpoint and a light and a loaded mag definitely makes a light rifle heavier.

OutdoorsFamilyMan and Kevin like this.
  3. Kevin

Kevin Member

The West coast of Newfoundland (The best coast)
    Yeah, I know, just joking with you.

OutdoorsFamilyMan and goon like this.
  4. goon

goon Member

Learned this lesson the expensive way... ;)

Kevin, OutdoorsFamilyMan and ASH like this.
  5. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

All awesome info, guys. I really appreciate every single comment. I know I can’t afford the best (or anything even close) but I figure with what little I know about them and nonexistent training I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference anyways. I want any AR in my hands to train and learn with. Then after I have more training and experience then determine what I like and don’t like based on that experience. As Goon said he learned some things the hard way. Since I have no idea what I like or prefer I figured an entry level gun wouldn’t be a huge expense to learn on. I have tried to take the same approach with knives. For example. I don’t want to go out and buy a $400 Adventure Sworn knife, a custom $200sheath by Hedgehog, and a custom 50 ferro rod only to find out I hate Scandi grinds, leather and ferro rods with smooth wood handles...That would be a costly mistake. But I also get that most of you are saying it will be hard to learn or gain experience properly with a made in China BudK March knife with nylon sheath and ferro rod that snaps after 5 fires...I guess I’m trying to find the ESEE of ARs. A decently made, Mostly basic/simple design, slightly more than I want to spend but worth the extra cost, that is reliable and safe enough to help me learn what I need to know before taking the next step, that also has the ability to slightly upgrade things along the way...

The Marsh Gorilla and goon like this.
  6. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

I know you said you weren't a fan of PSA and they aren't running the promotions they were two months ago but they are pretty close to what you are describing.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  7. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

It’s not that I’m not a fan. It’s the only place I looked since starting this thread up until all this craziness happened but everyone is saying that shipping is taking a month or more

8. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

Ah gotcha, yeah... I think everything is a crap shoot right now, I ordered a bunch of random stuff from midway on a saturday night at the height of the panic buying and had it by Wednesday morning and I dont even live close to them. Ordered some truck parts 2 weeks ago that were supposed to ship from a local warehouse (barely any cases local to me) and they still haven't shipped.

9. ASH

ASH Member

The biggest problem is that what you are looking for is pretty much sold out right now or the prices have gone up. One of those MP15 Sport II will do what you want and looks to be about the best bang for the buck right now. Anything I can find for less money right now doesn't include sights so by the time you add that you are back up to the same price.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  10. Frigin

Frigin Member

Yup any name brand (good warranty) stock as possible AR you will be able to run it into the ground.

11. junglebum

junglebum Member

Look at a PSA AK AK’s are like the Esee of assault rifles... they aren’t the fanciest but they run and run... simple and tough as hell. I Live AK’s

12. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

Of course you promote AKs. It’s probably all they have in the Asian jungles lol

The Marsh Gorilla and Frigin like this.
  13. goon

goon Member

The AK on my wishlist is something from Rifle Dynamics. Or a Czechpoint VZ-58. But that’s a whole other discussion.

14. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

PSA has some stuff back in stock and the Freedom AR15+S&W Shield9mm combo for 750 is pretty tempting...

15. ASH

ASH Member

AKs cost too much these days.

IW17 and goon like this.
  16. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

And that combo deal is already out of stock lol.

Taxes should be here in a few days. Gonna hit up a local gun retail chain (Fin Feather and Fur) that has been closed since this all started. They have limited hours now but I’ll be able to get in before or after hours because I’m a vendor of theirs as well. Usually decent deals and they are supposedly expecting a shipment of over 7k guns across their 6 or 7 locations

And they have the best knife selection within 50 miles..No ESEEs unfortunately but I’m working on them

goon likes this.
  17. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

Another question....seeing as there is almost no 556 ammo anywhere, would it be beneficial to try and find a AR style pistol chambered in 9mm? What would the pros and cons be vs a 556. I have quite a bit of 9mm and can find more pretty easily...the as far as distance shooting I don’t plan on using it for a down range rifle...hopefully some day I’ll get a nice 30-30 or something for that purpose...would there be a lot more over penetration? Also 300blk, is that a costly round? There seems to be a lot more of those rifles available than 556s...

18. Frigin

Frigin Member

@OutdoorsFamilyMan you could get a AR 556 and then buy a new upper and convert it into 9mm then you can swap it back and forth when you wanted to.(but I know your on a budget)
    I have dedicated 9 lowers. The 9s are just plain fun. And if you have a glock AR 9 and a glock handgun then you can share mags so that’s a pro.
    For me 300 blackout isn’t my cup of tea. I can’t get in in any shop around me and it’s expensive. If I ever needed it in a “situation” I’ll never find it. But don’t let my opinion stop you!

IW17 and OutdoorsFamilyMan like this.
  19. goon

goon Member

There is still 5.56 around if you dig a little and watch for it. I bet I could find 1K in stock somewhere if I had to. Federal / Lake City, Hornady, or even PMC Bronze have been really good for me.

20. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

+1 got 200 rds of hornaday 5.56 m193 this weekend at Academy for 33 cents a round, not the best price ever but cheaper than anywhere I have seen online.