coronavirus prepping

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CWB, Mar 15, 2020.

1. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

I don’t have that much, just coins and probably $300. In a much worse scenario I theorize that it could still be used as currency because it has a known value without a Government guarantee.

2. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

I’ve been making runs every couple of days to the grocery store. I’ve been wearing a face mask and gloves when ever I go out since the virus started spreading in my state.

One of the biggest things I’ve been learning is no matter how much you plan or think you have everything you need... WRONG!

I think we all take for granted the ability to run to the store when we run out of something or have a idea. I’ve had to start sitting down with ALL the family. We have started tracking what we need or are running out of to try and maximize each trip out. Even the kiddos are helping make the list.

Big picture I have a store I can shop at that has some pretty extreme screening measures put in place to prevent sick shoppers. Even then I’m still hesitant to go out as much as I have had to..

3. kihnspiracy

kihnspiracy Member

Drastically cut trips to the stores. Since the wife works from home, I am the only one that ventures out now to shop. We take more walks now. Eventually, things will turn normal.

4. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Disregard...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  5. Rich275

Rich275 Member

6. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Fun facts.

They are putting the official death toll of the flu in Oklahoma at 83 people, and that is over the last 8 months.

Our total Covid-19 death total as of today is 80 people, and that is over the course of just three weeks.

Margin of error being not everyone gets flu tested, and also there are many Covid-19 deaths not being reported.

Drew RedBear likes this.
  7. Rich275

Rich275 Member

8. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

I ordered some washable masks from nine line (US Veteran owned). Haven't arrived yet. Got a 100 pack of latex gloves from Amazon.
    We've done two curbside pickups from a local grocery. Some items, no go and some substitutions. Overall we may do it again.
    Senior hours Tuesday and Wednesday hence it looks like a run after 25 days of hanging around the crib.
    We ordered from Omaha Steak and got some pricey frozen protein for the freezer. I've had their products before and it's Good quality just over priced (but available).

This event and exercise we are living through now is an example of how interdependent and dependent we are.
    It really highlights that as bad as this is, how screwed we would be in something really bad. Nastier Pandemic, EMP
    Etc.
    This is going to be a wake up call that's for sure.
    Bless all of you who have kids at home and live in an urban setting!!

I guess the message is. No mater how well you (think you) are prepared you are never prepared well enough.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  9. Rich275

Rich275 Member

Saw this article on another form and found a Restaurant Depot www.restaurantdepot.com, not too far from me. They are a sort of grocery store for restaurants and are for now, open to the public.
    https://boingboing.net/2020/04/13/wholesale-restaurant-supply-ch.html

My wife and I went to our nearby Restaurant Depot today.
    The linked article is spot on, especially the advice about bringing a coat for the freezer. I can't compare the prices we paid, as my wife is the shopper, but she seemed impressed for the meat, chicken and salmon we bought, along with assorted bits and pieces. We took a neighbor who is going to smoke some of the meat for us.

The employees were very helpful and kept telling us to let them know if we wanted something in a smaller amount. We got there about 1030 and there were no lines, just check in at the counter, wear some provided gloves and shop a way. No booze however and they don't take checks from the non-member shoppers.

C99c and ASH like this.
  10. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

47A3E2BA-EFD3-4B1C-847E-28785A7E4030.jpeg Two intrepid explorers venturing out .

Bluelew, The Marsh Gorilla and TerryD like this.
  11. DiscoveryLover

DiscoveryLover Member

12. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

I bought this CD years ago.
    Actually all the items years ago.

Sold Out.jpg

JV3 and Chris Talley like this.
  13. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams Member

Does this make me look like the Hamburgler?
    These are the Nine Line masks.
    Who could imagine going out like this in public would be encouraged and expected.

Mask.jpg

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    Strigidae and DiscoveryLover like this.
  14. Bluelew

Bluelew Member

yep

Strigidae likes this.
  15. Rich275

Rich275 Member

So now that we've all been at this for several weeks, how have you adapted? What's changed for you that you will continue to do, what's changed for you that you will no longer do?
    My wife used to love going to the grocery store. Now, she loves ordering on-line and going to pick up our groceries. I just ordered some masks for our family from my link above, not because I wear one, but due to potential travel requirements to do so. My wife is high risk, so she does when she goes out.
    I live in a large, suburban neighborhood, with miles of sidewalks that are used all the time for walking, running, etc. I can't stand "having" to step off the sidewalk onto the grass, just to social distance while passing someone. I hate it. I hate people wearing masks inside their own cars, when they're the only ones driving in it.
    Our college age son is taking his classes on-line, but living at the house he rents near his school. Our college age daughter is now home, taking her classes on-line. I miss being a part-time, empty nester. I miss no-pants Tuesday.

Frigin, C99c, IW17 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

Ah. No pants Tuesday. @C99c

Me, I’m working more than ever. Building relationships, developing partnerships, supporting local farms and giving people the opportunity to eat well and support their neighbors. I don’t see that changing. This virus has changed a lot, some for the bad and some for the good. I see pride, kindness, patience and understanding more than I can remember. There are definitely lessons to be learned both ways.

C99c, BobbyRatTail and Zeek like this.
  17. Adventurer

Adventurer Member

Was taking school in person and classes have moved to zoom. Working from home 4 days a week going in to the office once a week. Don't go out shopping much anymore. When I do I wear a mask grocery shopping and at Walmart. No family gatherings since the stay at home order...

Can't wait for things to get a little better by us. Green Bay, WI is currently a hot spot with a lot of new cases over the last few weeks...

18. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Well the No pants Friday’s have had to stop... With the kiddos at home it’s been crazy..
    One big take away has been shopping leaner and smarter.. Supply has gotten much better but prices have gone way up... Intentionally only shopping a week or less at a time to get the cheaper very ripe vegetables. Meat hasn’t been a problem but when my Extra freezer/ fridge broke it also changed up how much meat I was able to keep on hand..

19. Adventurer

Adventurer Member

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    Frigin likes this.
  20. Rich275

Rich275 Member