ESEE spines

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by wiss87, Mar 31, 2020.

1. wiss87

wiss87 Member

I have most of the ESEE line of knives-- and love them all! The 4hm has very recently replaced the LS as my favorite.

I do have one question, why don't they come with a 90 degree spine for use of ferro rod? Is it because some are "tactical" knives, or because of the coating?

I was trying to figure out why a "survival" knife would not have a 90 degree spine for ferro rod use? If there is something I am missing, please fill me in.

Thank you

2. Kevo

Kevo Member

I'm sure there are reasons, though I have no idea what the official word would be. I will say I haven't ever really thought of any of my esees as survival knives.

Kaw-liga and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  3. Patrick Rollins

Patrick Rollins Lead Instructor Staff Member

Some people like 90 degree spines, some don't. In a "true survival" situation which 99.9% of us will never be in, because we learn and train as much as possible, leave a travel plan with friends or loved ones, and carry a few essentials, you can strike a ferro rod with any sharp edge. The edge of the knife, a piece of broken glass, or a rock. That being said, I'm still pushing for a 3hm uncoated with a 90 degree spine!

4. wiss87

wiss87 Member

I'm really impartial, my love of ESEE runs deep. Part of me figures in true survival I'd probably not have a ferro rod anyway unless I always carry one. In which case, I can/would also carry other fire starting essentials (Wich I do, including an esee fire steel).

I was mostly curious due to David Canterbury 5 essentials of a survival knife (fixed w/ full tang, roughly 3/16" thick, high carbon, 5-6" blade length, and 90 degree spine). Gave me a general wonderingment.

Patrick Rollins, my dream ESEE would be a 5 inch HM series with the black oxide finish and a 90 degree spine in trusty 1095 steel or O1.

Craig and Kaw-liga like this.
  5. Lostviking

Lostviking Member

Be careful what you wish for.

Sharpened spines are a double edged sword. They definitely have some advantages.
    But, they have some drawbacks as well.

Do not let the advertisers from Madison Avenue dictate to you what you want in a “Survival Knife”
    There is no such animal as a “Survival Knife”

There are survivors who had knives.
    The mind keeps you alive, not the knife!

I have some cool knives with hockey skate sharp spines. They shoot sparks like nobody’s business.
    They scrape wood well too. But they will cut you almost as bad as the sharp side of the blade.
    A bad cut in a survival situation can be a game ender from infection.
    Plus a sharp spine hinders your hand placement on the spine.

I think it is unfair to ask ESEE, or any other knife company for that matter, to keep your butt alive.
    It’s also unfair to yourself, to depend on others to keep you alive.
    Take this process into your own hands.

A ferro rod from “Light My Fire” comes with a striker. It’s cheap, light and effective.
    Tape it to your sheath, tie it to your sheath, Ranger Band it to your sheath.

If you already have a steel. Go buy a cheap hack saw blade and break off about a 2” piece.

While you’re in the hardware store. Grab a flat file, or a chainsaw file.
    Take your favorite ESEE Knife and add a sharpened spot on your spine.
    Or take a chain saw file and add a rounded edge to the spine A La Habilis Bush Tools.

A knife, any knife, even a “Survival Knife” has many roles to fill. Every knife is a trade off.
    Choose one for what you do most, and you will be happy most of the time..

Don’t buy into the the survival hype. Adapt!
    Take your favorite ESEE and learn to make a Bow Drill Kit.
    Sharpen a spot on your belt buckle if you need to.
    Ever tried to strike a ferro with a key?
    Or back to the hardware store again, grab a washer from the bolt section. Tie it to your sheath.

Or maybe go the full monte.
    Get some paint stripper, lose the coating, sharpen the spine and make your knife yours.

With all that being said. I’d still take a factory uncoated 3HM in a heartbeat!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    Usman Ansari, Craig, Vinton and 6 others like this.
  6. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

I always thought Jeff was trying to appeal to the kinder and gentler mountain man with soft, keyboard thumbs.

Delkancott, Kaw-liga, wiss87 and 4 others like this.
  7. Justafigment

Justafigment Member

I would take an uncoated 3hm with a 90 degree spine in a heartbeat also! Heck yeah!

8. Stayinsharp

Stayinsharp Member

I’d probably buy it even though I have a standard one! The 3HM is SO GOOD that I was planning on buying another anyway. So maybe I’ll wait for a bit.

9. Ossian

Ossian Member

I enjoy a sharpened spine also, great for a ferro rod and scraping tinder. Andy Roy of fiddleback forge had a good article a few years ago on the subject that I can’t seem to find. The article went into detail about possible stress risers in the steel caused by spine sharpening. Also losing gross motor skills is an issue in a “survival situation”. You are going to have your hands right by a sharp cutting tool on both sides of the blade, one slip and you have a bad cut, similar to what Lostviking stated. I’m not a metallurgist to speak about stress risers but it’s not the first time I have read about them. I The article definitely gave me food for thought.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  10. olywa

olywa Member

I can think of at least 3 places that I would stash a black oxide 3HM. But then I'd have to figure out what to do with the regular coated 3s they'd replace. Now if there was a 3HM in 3V I would gladly deal with that dilemma.

Stayinsharp likes this.