The Expat Story

Discussion in 'EXPAT Knives®' started by Expat, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

In this time of cruel and unusual punishment: Locked up in your home and being pelted with various timelines of when we'll all be dead, it's beneficial to take a step back and think about the important things in life: family, memories, honest work, and perhaps, just maybe some things we took for granted that we now swear we never will again.

In that vein, I happened to come across the origination of the Expat story while looking through some other things and thought I would post it here. I like what it reminds me of. But I also like of what it helps me to look forward to when we're all on the other side of this.

I've never really thought of Expat Knives as a knife company. Not really. The world needs another knife company like we need asbestos t-shirts, or a good lunch buffet of bat dishes. I've always thought of it more as a culture, or a group of people who, given the chance, would throw their business suit in the trash, grab a knife, a decent hat, and head out the door into a lifetime of adventure with funny and interesting companions.

You know, living is not really all that hard. You can sleep, work, sleep, work, and so on without much thought and you will eventually get to the end of your life. And frankly, it won't take all that much effort. Like the tide coming in and out, it just happens. But there is a world of difference between living, and living intentionally. Are you mindful of how you are living?

There will be two dates on our tombstones. And the numbers themselves will be fairly inconsequential. Being born in 1980 or 2000 won't matter all that much in the long run. Neither will dying in 2020 or 2050. But...oh that little dash between the two dates! That's infinitely more important. That's everything. That is all there is. The dates you may not have much control over. But you have full control of the dash. You can make it what you want. What are you going to do with YOUR dash?

I once read that if we really focused on what was important in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles. I sincerely hope we get to that point one day soon. If there are good things to come out of this tragedy, perhaps that will be one of them.

Anyway, here was my idea of Expat Knives, or at least what I want Expat Knives to be for all of you, in so many words:

There is another world out here. A world not tethered to strip malls, dry cleaners, or lattes. A world where food may be abundant, but it’s anything but guaranteed. The only guarantee is that if you find food, it won’t be pre-packaged. Out here food is still running, growing, or swimming. Out here the first step to making fish tacos involves baiting a hook, and a hot cup of joe begins with firewood prep.

This world requires special tools and it is precisely for this environment that Expat Knives exists. We are essentially tools for fine dining…outdoors. Fresh coals heating even fresher backstrap in a snowy deer camp? Peter Luger’s got nothing on that. The salty breeze on a starry night carrying the scent of red snapper over a driftwood fire on a Central American beach? Well, in our minds, that’s about as fine as dining can get.

Our knives are designed to help create these experiences. To add to the memories, rather than lessen them with inadequate gear. Let’s be honest—sometimes these memories have to carry us through some pretty longs spells at the factory, the office, or the jobsite. Life has a way of interfering with living. Far too many of us are “trying to cram lost years into 5 or 6 days”, as Jimmy Buffett once wrote. Why risk those precious few opportunities at lifelong memories by using inferior equipment?

When we can get out from behind that desk and into that world where we grow more alive, more engaged, and more free, we demand that our experience not be diminished by substandard tools. We need simplicity and reliability. Form follows function, and function better be beyond reproach.

At Expat Knives, we understand this need, and design our products with these memories in mind. Our tools are meant to come in contact with things like salt-air, bamboo, the deck of an old boat, a fresh coconut, standing deadfall in snow storm, and still-cooling meat. We hope our tools inspire you to leave the world of lattes, and come in contact with a few of these things yourself. So get out. Stop waiting. Live intentionally. Fill a passport. Kill your own food and cook it without a roof. And use Expat Knives: Tools for Fine Dining...Outdoors.

2. FAL'ER

FAL'ER Member

Disregard

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  3. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

TLDR

DiscoveryLover likes this.
  4. Stewart

Stewart Member

If you dont believe one person can change the world you obviously havn't eaten bat soup in Wuhan.

5. JollyRoger523

JollyRoger523 Member

Great post!

The Marsh Gorilla and Expat like this.
  6. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

Thanks for the time it took to write this. Nice positives vibes in a negative time is something we all need.

TerryD and Expat like this.
  7. Emac

Emac Member

"OWN THE DASH"
    -Some Guy thats Not Me

TerryD and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  8. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Well said Expat..... nice they give online time from your segro cell as well !!!!!

Two weeks ago I was on a mountainside with just myself and a rifle, it reminded my of what is important in life, the current stupidity was only just starting. I can't now take a step back from the world....quite the opposite but when (yes WHEN) I come out the other side of this debacle I will be making some changes.

Strigidae and The Marsh Gorilla like this.