Coronavirus Concerns

Discussion in 'Wilderness and Tactical Healthcare Management' started by Delkancott, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Same here. Patrick, Shane and I spent the last 3 days in North Carolina training and except for a few folks complaining about the toilet paper and then NC shutting the schools down, everything was normal. People going about their daily lives.

2. Kevo

Kevo Member

Yessir! The booze aisle was fuller than I've ever seen it as well. People forget that knob creek 120 is 60% alcohol.

CWB, The Marsh Gorilla, JV3 and 2 others like this.
  3. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

Need to get me some quality Tupperware. Don't like to pay full price though.

IW17 likes this.
  4. Bozho

Bozho Member

The stores here are still full of food, but there is no chance of getting any hand sanitizer in the pharmacies or anywhere.
    We have very strict , almost quarantine measures comming, as the state healthcare system is on the edge of a collapse under regular circumstances and having many infected people could be disastrous. The official data is for 51 infected people as of today, of course the real number is a lot higher as there are so many non-tested people.
    The streets are quite empty both from pedestrians and cars.

DYSPHORIC JOY, Kevo and Strigidae like this.
  5. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

I am in Dallas. The stores were crowded. Sams still had some toilet paper last week. My wife had knee surgery two weeks ago and we stocked up on a lot of stuff. I bought two cases of wine at Trader Joe’s and probably a case of other Booz at Total Wine. I have been jogging and biking weather permitting. Wife and youngest son are here teleworking. Is, in my 60s but in good health. Wife is younger but has had some problems. We will be staying away from crowds for a while. I do have a little cabin fever due to the rain. I still think it is a pretty big deal being made but maybe not. Viruses aren’t anything new. They will always play themselves out but at what cost. Will humanity pay more in the end if they are avoided now?

6. FAL'ER

FAL'ER Member

Springfield, Oregon. Today. Wife went to the grocery store (Winco) and noted no bulk beans and rice among other items either not in stock or low stock. The main thing she noted was the TP, paper towel Aisle was blocked off and they were allowing only a certain number of people in that area at a time. Of course there was a long line to be "let in" and you could pick either Paper towels or Toilet paper, but you couldn't have both.
    I tend to have more than I need for a short term crisis, but my damn kids go through liquid soap, TP and paper towels like crazy.
    My concern isn't as much getting more , as it is keeping them from wasting it.
    The real bummer is they were out of seattle's best coffee in all flavors, So I get to try something else.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    Strigidae and Chris Talley like this.
  7. Chris Talley

Chris Talley Member

Grocery shopping was a nightmare this evening. Many items still on shelves (curiously, it was mostly canned and dried goods!). Produce, bread, meat, and paper goods were absent. Yet there were still TONS of people shopping. The hospital I work at has shut down entrances and is actively screening visitors and patients at the open entrances. There is talk of cancelling elective procedures and there is a real sense of unease concerning every aspect of this mess. Schools have shut down until April 3rd. Things are gonna get uglier before they get better. upload_2020-3-16_22-29-27.jpeg upload_2020-3-16_22-30-14.jpeg
    upload_2020-3-16_22-31-24.jpeg

JV3, Strigidae and Frigin like this.
  8. Frigin

Frigin Member

Yup our stores are getting worse here. No chicken pasta left anywhere. Tp paper towels still gone.
    veggies are still here so I’m happy about that. Are kids are limited to what they can eat they can’t eat dairy or gluten ..........so they are left with almost nothing lol we eat a ton of veggies and chicken. Lucky I stocked up on chicken a couple weeks ago.
    This is the first time I almost had to give someone TP I can honestly say I have never had to do that before. But then they happened to have fount some at the last day they were out.
    all the restaurants here are now closed for dine In and can only be open for takeout. So I have just been doing that a little more and saving my food at home. Seems to be working good.

Chris Talley and Strigidae like this.
  9. timdgsr

timdgsr Member

I live about 30 miles outside of downtown Birmingham. My local grocery store has almost everything except paper goods and disinfectant wipes/sprays.

The meat was somewhat slim pickings, as were boxed items like mac and cheese. Plenty of produce, frozen veggies, canned goods, dairy products.

The manager was preparing the staff for a large incoming delivery truck while I was there.

Hopefully things will calm down after the initial panic buy from school/work closings.

10. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Just got back from my local walmart. They had about everything in stock except beef and eggs. Toilet paper aisle was very sparse. Saw a woman with 2 shopping carts each loaded to the top with toilet paper. No wonder supplies are running low because of idiots like this.

KMCMICHAEL, Frigin, CWB and 3 others like this.
  11. timdgsr

timdgsr Member

Hopefully stores will start being better about capping the idiots. As far as I’m concerned, they can keep buying all the TP. It just uses up their money so they can’t buy the actual things my family will need.

C99c, The Marsh Gorilla and Strigidae like this.
  12. Odinborn

Odinborn Member

Decided to try and order up some more 9mm ammo last night, couldn't find a single website selling any that wasn't postponing shipping 2 weeks or more.

Strigidae likes this.
  13. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Whatever ammo you do find is more expensive than it has been last month. Dont blame them. America and all.

14. Odinborn

Odinborn Member

Of course I'm sitting on unprecedented amounts of 40s&w, and don't even own a gun in that caliber

Adventurer and Strigidae like this.
  15. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Time to sell. Ill bet you can make bank.

16. C99c

C99c Member

I've only been in one store in the last week but it seems like, from talking to others and my wife's normal grocery run Saturday, as long as you don't need tp, ramen or frozen pizzas you can find it locally.
    Just north of us (south of Chattanooga) and anywhere along the I75 corridor heading down to Atlanta it seems to be crazy. And we are seeing more and more cars with tags from those areas around so I guess people are driving farther from home to take our tp, too.

In related news, my kid is officially done with this year away at college as the school has gone to online instruction. So I have to wear clothes around the house again and mommy/daddy funnakedtimeanytimeallthetime has officially come to an end. But I guess my whiskey supply will last longer so there's that...

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    RocketmanDane, IW17, CWB and 2 others like this.
  17. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

C99c and Strigidae like this.
  18. Adventurer

Adventurer Member

I think it's time to buy another gun... :D

Neilsen, Zeek, Frigin and 3 others like this.
  19. CWB

CWB Member

Toilet paper prices will drop like stock market when this is over. Every flea market in the country will have it for sale

Bozho, ASH and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  20. Frigin

Frigin Member

@C99c clothes on in the house:( bummer

well I have all the ammo I’ll probably need for a long time. And my food supplies have always been pretty good. I’m just doing my normal every 2 day shopping because my kids don’t stop eating.
    And now I’m out of work because I do stuff for state programs and they just shut us down. So hopefully I’ll only be out of work for two weeks as of now. We will see.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.