Crazy Story / light recommendation

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by BobbyRatTail, Mar 10, 2020.

1. BobbyRatTail

BobbyRatTail Member

My wife and I will be closing on our first home this Friday (hopefully). The house is perfect. It has almost 4 acres of woods with a stream in the backyard.

We started talking to our new neighbors, and it turns out someone recently dumped a murder victim in a parking lot on the other side of our property where our woods end. They found the poor guys head a few miles north.

I'm looking for a good light that'll blast my whole yard with lumens when my wife and I get home at night. I'm thinking the Olight M2R Pro. 1800 lumens, fits in a pocket, moonlight mode, a wicked bezel, and I can attach it to my shotgun. Anyone have any other suggestions?

2. JollyRoger523

JollyRoger523 Member

I don't have a flashlight recommendation. Have you thought about installing a permanent light on the rear of the house/back yard. It would provide better, brighter, and longer coverage than any flashlight. Obviously it would not be portable like a flash light would.

I definitely get the concern, but odds are that was a one time thing. Still, it never hurts to take precautions.

BobbyRatTail likes this.
  3. BobbyRatTail

BobbyRatTail Member

Absolutely a one time thing. We have what I can only describe as a parking lot / street lamp in our yard in front of the woods. The flashlight is more for a sense of security for my wife. We have 4 shed / garage structures in our yard, and it gets dark quick. Especially in the winter.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  4. Kevo

Kevo Member

I really like some of the protac options from streamlight. Not nearly as bright on the high end, but longer high output run times.

BobbyRatTail likes this.
  5. martin_j001

martin_j001 Member

BobbyRatTail likes this.
  6. Ballenxj

Ballenxj Member

I have an older now Fenix UC40 UE light that is rated at 900 lumens. It has five settings plus strobe. I only keep it on the second from the lowest setting for longer battery life, and that has been working fine for me, as it's still pretty bright. If needed, it can be bumped up easily. I got to speak to the Fenix sales rep before I bought, and he said to run the battery all the way down before charging, and do that twice, after which I should be good. I bought it in 2015 or 16, and it's still working great. :cool:
    Your Olight has a pretty good rating, and with 1800 lumens should work well for your requirements. My only suggestion would be look at them all, including their ratings, and battery life. All the lumens in the world won't be any good to you with a dead battery.
    Congrats on your new home. ;)

BobbyRatTail likes this.